Offical Olympic Curling Thread..

It all depends on the curling club. I curl at two different curling clubs in Ottawa. The one is pretty lenient and will let you drink, as long as it is a plastic cup. The other one, won't let you drink during it. Both clubs though have a bar, where the winner pays for the losers drinks after.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the curling club. I curl at two different curling clubs in Ottawa. The one is pretty lenient and will let you drink, as long as it is a plastic cup. The other one, won't let you drink during it. Both clubs though have a bar, where the winner pays for the losers drinks after.
i love to do some curling...I went once during high school and loved it.
I'd seriously suggest joining it. It's really fun and works a lot of muscles you rarely use. Plus, its just very social and helps you meet a lot of new people.
Can you just go rent a sheet for a couple of hours like bowling? Or do you have to join a club/team?
Can you just go rent a sheet for a couple of hours like bowling? Or do you have to join a club/team?
Depends on the club, most clubs are pretty open to anybody renting it. One of the clubs I'm at, it'll let anybody rent, the other not so much as they're a bit too anal about who uses their ice. Usually they prefer at least one person curling there knows what they are doing because, the ice is very difficult to maintain and the last thing you want as a curling rink manager is a bunch of a newbies using the rink. They can do a bunch of wrong things like using outdoor shoes, which will add debris to the ice, throw a rock wrong and put a dent in the ice, or throw a rock into the opposing hack and maybe wrecking on that. It's pretty cheap though to rent the ice. It's about $50 for two hours at one of the rinks I play at.
Figure a minimun of $10K just to buy the curling stones for one sheet. Then the cost of building an artifical ice surface. Curling ice is different than any other type of ice and has a pebbling to it and requires more and different maintainance than ice used for skating.You also would need an area 150 feet long and 16.5 feet wide for one sheet.All that being said every small town in Canada has a curling club.
Throw in the cost of insurance for allowing drunks on an ice surface.
just curious, do they let you drink while you are curling??I know in Golf you can obviously....And its weird they let you drive a cart while drunk
You can be charged with drinking and driving if you get caught.
Serge, me and the guys you would remember from the old days, rented some ice a few times, couple of yrs back. I think I might be able to get them to do it again soon, so if I can make it happen, Ill give you a shout.Watching this week has me wanting to do again.(btw, we were convinced if we put our minds to it, we could become the Armenian Curling Team)
Serge, me and the guys you would remember from the old days, rented some ice a few times, couple of yrs back. I think I might be able to get them to do it again soon, so if I can make it happen, Ill give you a shout.Watching this week has me wanting to do again.(btw, we were convinced if we put our minds to it, we could become the Armenian Curling Team)
lol that would be awesome..I was just telling someone i would love to form an Armenian Curling team..Lets train for 2014..We can do it...
Are you guys Armenian citizens?
Serge is neither an Armenian citizen nor was he born in Armenia, but I'm sure a letter from Brian Burke would convince the Olympic Committee.
Serge is neither an Armenian citizen nor was he born in Armenia, but I'm sure a letter from Brian Burke would convince the Olympic Committee.
actually my father has an Armenian Passport and I can get one as well..Its not hard.
actually my father has an Armenian Passport and I can get one as well..Its not hard.
yeah, this.Because as a people's we have such a widespread diaspora (due to the Genocide and everyone being taken/driven from their homes), once Armenia gained independence as a nation, they opened up the opportunities for Armenians who could prove their ancestory.

You know what I finally realized why I am into curling this much in the Olympics?Yeah, I love the strategy, tension, hot ladies, the four foot, T line, guards, doubles, take outs, draws and shot rocks but the #1 reason is ?The announcers. In the US they are by farrrrrrrrrrrrr the best announcers of any sport in the Olympics. It is not even close. Don Duguid and Colleen Jones are the best male and female announcers in the Olympics by far. It is not even close.Without naming names, the skiing announcers are horrid, the ice skating announcers make we want to barf, bobsled announcer is just a loud mouth. Cross country guys are decent. Emerick is ok but he is notmy favorite type of announcer (he sensationalizes all the time. Hate that). Olczyk is terrible and the guys during the intermission are jokes.

You know what I finally realized why I am into curling this much in the Olympics?Yeah, I love the strategy, tension, hot ladies, the four foot, T line, guards, doubles, take outs, draws and shot rocks but the #1 reason is ?The announcers. In the US they are by farrrrrrrrrrrrr the best announcers of any sport in the Olympics. It is not even close. Don Duguid and Colleen Jones are the best male and female announcers in the Olympics by far. It is not even close.Without naming names, the skiing announcers are horrid, the ice skating announcers make we want to barf, bobsled announcer is just a loud mouth. Cross country guys are decent. Emerick is ok but he is notmy favorite type of announcer (he sensationalizes all the time. Hate that). Olczyk is terrible and the guys during the intermission are jokes.
I'm not sure if it's the same Colleen Jones from Canada, but if it is. She is one of the best curlers that Canada has ever had. I think she won the Scotties like 4 times in a row, which is a record.

The gold medal game was so, so good. It's why I love curling, it all came down to one shot.. Canada makes it, they are champions, they miss and they aren't.. so much pressure.. I loved it. Distilled pure sports.