Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

What are they protesting?
Spending money to host the Olympics instead of giving money to the homeless and people who dont want to work seems to be the most prevailant attitude of the protsters.
Just the usual professional left wing protest crowd that comes out for every big international event.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bahahaha @ the Korean greedy skaters.... U S A ! U S A ! ! ! !
Aside from hockey I think short track speed skating is my favorite olympic sport to watch. It gets real crazy with the relays they have.
Spending money to host the Olympics instead of giving money to the homeless and people who dont want to work seems to be the most prevailant attitude of the protsters.
Not to start a huge discussion and derail the thread, but in my view they have a legitimate point, not that I'd be one throwing stones.
Not to start a huge discussion and derail the thread, but in my view they have a legitimate point, not that I'd be one throwing stones.
In Canada if you dont want to work you can still have a roof over your head if you want it, cant remember anyone sane ever starving to death. How much more do you think people who choose not to contribute deserve? I recently did some work in a social housing apatrment building for men and their apartments(individual apartments) are much nicer than the one I pay $950 a month for. Most people on the streets are there because they dont want to follow the rules of shelters and social housing facilities. The rest are have mental health issues and you cant force them into housing.
Aside from hockey I think short track speed skating is my favorite olympic sport to watch. It gets real crazy with the relays they have.
Yea...it's great.Ya know what else I like.... Curling (no homo)I have no idea what it is about that stupid thing that I love watching it. 4 years ago we would alter our daily schedule around that crap.....
Yea...it's great.Ya know what else I like.... Curling (no homo)I have no idea what it is about that stupid thing that I love watching it. 4 years ago we would alter our daily schedule around that crap.....
agreed. they have a curling rink not far from home, always wanted to go try it out
So this mogul thing are you trying to have the best time or what? Seems like all the back flips and stuff would slow you down.
those dudes are f.ckin flyin. combo of speed and how good the jumps are.any sport that has judges make decisions on who wins is a little flawed though

In moguls it's scored the following way:50% is the form of the skier. (How tightly together his skis are)25% is speed.25% is jumps.You will always see that the last two judges scores are much lower than the first 5. That's because the first 5 judges are only judging the form, and the final 2 judges are only scoring the jumps. Speed is judged by time.

I couldn't understand how the 2 couples that had someone fall got such good scores? I mean, wtf? Isn't staying on the skates during a skating competition important?
The Canadian pair was probably judged a bit higher than they should have been.Figure skating changed the scoring system to be much more structured than the old subjective 6.0 based system. Now skaters are judged on their moves and how well the did them and given specific points. Also if you do a difficult trick later in the program you score more points for them than if you do them early in the program. What that means is that if you fall you don't get the points for that trick and in the short program there is also a mandatory deduction for not doing a required element. If the other things that the skaters did was scored very high just missing one thing won't kill them.
So this mogul thing are you trying to have the best time or what? Seems like all the back flips and stuff would slow you down.
Yea.... It makes my knees hurt just watching it.... seems kind of out of control.I also agree that anytime a judge decides the winner.... it's not a real sport.

Is it just me or does curling seem like a great sport. I like watching the strategy in it. Seems like it would be fun to play

I have no idea why curling is so compelling, but it is. It's really kind of super-slo-mo horseshoes, but I can't stop watching.Slo-mo horseshoes + random housework + tabletop sliders you had when you were six = WIN!

Is it just me or does curling seem like a great sport. I like watching the strategy in it. Seems like it would be fun to play
It's fantastically fun to play. great sportsmanship, great camaraderie. Teams can match up skill level pretty easily, so it's always competitive and it's the kind of sport you can play well into your 50s and 60s.Is this a no spoiler thread?

I'm loving the speed skating (especially the short track). Also really loved both downhill skiing events. The womens event was nuts - 3 of them had crazy, 60 mph wipeouts, and fortunately weren't hurt badly.

Is this a no spoiler thread?
Hmm, good question. I would give it a full 24 hours to spoil anything big, what with tivo and different time zones and whatnot. Well, or just use spoiler tags.

Okay, can somebody explain the skiing to me? Apparently yesterday was the women's 'alpine downhill,' and right now they're broadcasting today's 'women's downhill.' They gave medals yesterday and everything. But isn't it the same exact course? What's the deal here, or what am I missing?Edit: Okay they finally explained that this race is one leg of the 'combined.'

I believe, they are doing a combined event with the downhill combined with some other event (Super G maybe?).Edit- I think it may be slalom combined with downhill. Not that that clears anything up.