When do you guys suggest starting to attempt to steal the blinds in a tournament. And vice-versa for when to start trying to defend your blinds. I've started to use both these techniques alot lately. But think I may have been too aggressive with it.

When do you guys suggest starting to attempt to steal the blinds in a tournament. And vice-versa for when to start trying to defend your blinds. I've started to use both these techniques alot lately. But think I may have been too aggressive with it.
Always steal if you have cards that have decent potential of hitting the flop. Suited connectors are always good. In terms of defending your blinds, defend as much as you can but only with hands that have potential, dont commit chips with crappy rags like 38o and if you see that the steal is probably not gonna work (or if you get alot of resistence) back off before you take a big hit.Basically dont do anything wild or stupid and stick to reasonable plays that are to the point and make sense when you think them through.

My results have been getting a little bit better this year due to a lot of things. One part of my game I am working on is this theory of buying blinds as I have always struggled with my aggression.I have been regularly starting the aggression two limits before the antes kick in, then backing off when antes kick in, then two to three levels later, being aggressive again. Not sure if this is right strategy, but it has been working for me. I have at least started to cash more that way. Still working on deep finishes using this, but at least have started to profit more often.

My results have been getting a little bit better this year due to a lot of things. One part of my game I am working on is this theory of buying blinds as I have always struggled with my aggression.I have been regularly starting the aggression two limits before the antes kick in, then backing off when antes kick in, then two to three levels later, being aggressive again. Not sure if this is right strategy, but it has been working for me. I have at least started to cash more that way. Still working on deep finishes using this, but at least have started to profit more often.
I remember reading something about Stu Unger never trying to buy/steal the blinds until the antes kick in and it makes sense to me. Before the antes start and say you raise 3xBB, you are laying 3 to win 1.5. After the antes kick in you can still raise 3xBB but are getting a much better return on your investment. Plus you look real tight for the first few levels which is a good image to have, and then when you try to steal at a higher level you are more likely to succeed because of your tight image. So you are rewarded for your patience.