Bluff Magazine Power 20 For 2010

Bluff Magazine annually puts out a list of what they think are the 20 most powerful entities in poker.A lot of people will question Phil Hellmuth not being there and Joe Cada on the list. I think John Duthie is the most glaring omission. For those who don't know he is the Father of the EPT.There's a write up of everybody on the lilst at this link.http://news.bluffmagazine.com/bluff-announ...fluencers-9109/1. PokerStars2. Full Tilt Poker3. Mitch Garber4. Howard Lederer5. Ty Stewart6. Doyle Brunson7. Barney Frank8. Daniel Negreanu9. Tony G10. Joe Cada11. Phil Ivey12. John Pappas13. Mike Sexton14. Mori Eskandani15. Brian Balsbaugh16. Lance Bradley17. Joe Sebok18. Barry Shulman19. Matt Savage20. Per Hagen

mehhhh I don't agree with this list
i knew someone would say this , i just knew it i just didnt think it would happen so soonare they keeping doyle in this cause its politically correct to do so ?
i knew someone would say this , i just knew it i just didnt think it would happen so soonare they keeping doyle in this cause its politically correct to do so ?
lol?To this day, Brunson is a big factor in poker. I find #9 a bit odd, though.
How do we know that you knew it?Are you one of those kids who sits by in class, then, after someone says the answer to the question, you scream out, "I WAS ABOUT TO SAY THAT"?I don't think you knew, sir.
lol?To this day, Brunson is a big factor in poker. I find #9 a bit odd, though.
Doyle belongs on the list for sure.#9 Tony G not only plays but has a lot of poker related business interests with the most high profile being Poker News.
Doyle belongs on the list for sure.#9 Tony G not only plays but has a lot of poker related business interests with the most high profile being Poker News.
Oh, ok. I wasn't aware about the poker news thing, have only seen a couple of less than pleasent youtube videos of him playing poker.

Can't be good that Barney Frank is on top of Daniel...And of course Joe Cada is much more powerful than Phil Ivey.But leaving off Phil Hellmuth pretty much negates the value of this list by a factor of 10

But leaving off Phil Hellmuth pretty much negates the value of this list by a factor of 10
Hellmuth probably made his own list of this same topic.

My first response was, "how is Daniel ahead of Ivey?". Then on second thought, how are any of these guys ahead of Ivey?? Meh, I actually get the poker sites at one and two... but any of the individual players ahead of Ivey??

My first response was, "how is Daniel ahead of Ivey?". Then on second thought, how are any of these guys ahead of Ivey?? Meh, I actually get the poker sites at one and two... but any of the individual players ahead of Ivey??
It's a list about media presence and influence, so I don't think it is unreasonable to rank other people above Ivey. If it were just about ability as a player, I'd agree with you.

I agree with Tony G being on teir. Like Bob said, he's involved in all aspects of poker and his business concerns are many. That's basically who he is anyway: a businessmanAnd lists are created for discussion purposes, imo, so disagreeing with them is natural

I think Cada should not have been so high.
Who ever the Main Event winner is, it has an impact on poker and they should be on the list.Lol at Helmuth's omission. Love him or hate him he is a major player.lol Joe Sebok
How do they define "powerful" in this context? Or do they really mean influential?
I think they use the two terms to be more or less the same thing.
Each year BLUFF Magazine seeks the opinion and input of the poker industry in hopes of putting together a comprehensive list for our readers of the most influential and powerful people in the poker industry. In years past the Power 20 has included both individuals and companies or organizations. For 2010 we’ve switched things up. In an effort to give you, the reader, a more accurate and relevant account of the movers and shakers in the game today, we asked our voters to forego listing companies and fill their ballot only with individuals.

Here are my thoughts:PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker and WSOP are far and away the biggest influencers. And if you group them and the people behind them the top 5 names really become 3 (Mitch Garber Howard Lederer Ty Stewart) - Include John Duthie here?Phil Ivey. Such an influencer there’s a thread on 2+2 about him and a breath mint. When is a Grandpa relevant to 20 year olds. When his name is Doyle Brunson. The guy is amazing. For someone in his mid-70s to not only adapt but also thrive in the digital age is nothing short of remarkable. I read his blog and his tweets. I just finished his book. It was an excellent retrospective of his life if a bit dull. Mori Eskandani – I think he should be higher on the list. He’s the driving force behind the biggest TV events. He can increase a players visibility instantly. Joe Seebok – An absolute must. His pokerroad site is an excellent example of new media. Poker is not seen through the eyes of the media but through players. Very forward thinking. Joe Cada should be on list. He will inspire tons of teenage boys to give up on chasing skirts and chase flushes instead. Tony G should be on the list for sure. If I'm not mistaken, he has quite the empire. Signing with Party Poker bodes well for PP. He's thinking way ahead of the game. Party Poker will be back in the US. Daniel Negreanu should be on the list but not as high. He’s one of the few players that has ‘outside’ appeal. When you ask a civilian who their favorite poker player is – if they know any - it’s usually Daniel. He has built an amazing brand. And is an excellent guidepost on how it’s should be done. Matt Savage – Is sort of the face of tournament directors. And from what I’ve read is very well respected by the players. Mike Sexton – for the longest time Sexton was the face of Poker but I don’t see him as someone who can move mountains. That being said, from what I’ve read he’s excellent at predicting where poker is going. Too bad he didn’t take stock options at Party Poker. Would be the richest of them all. Barry Shulman Lance Bradley- Shulman maybe but Bradley? Surely this is navel gazing on Bluff's part. Paper media is losing influence everywhere. Barney Frank is he really an influencer a power broker? Until he actually does something, anything he wouldn't be on my list. Per Hagen and Brian Balsbaugh – Even though they are considered 'power brokers' I really don't see why they are on the list. With the exception of the Pepsi commercial a few years ago, I don't see any huge things they've done for their clients or for poker. I wonder if the 'bigger poker names' went to a mainstream agency if they'd have more mainstream commercial success. John Pappas – Not buying it. Once again, what has he really done other than higher a politician. Actually, I don’t want the government to get involved in online gaming. One more layer of bullshit. Here are my too influencers that were left off the listTwitter – changed the landscape of poker last year. Removes media from the equation. Wong Doody – They do the advertising for Full Tilt. They have created a tremendous brand. They make poker cool.Who should not be on the list:Phil Hellmuth – He’s one note. And that note is has been played for the last 6 years.