New Challenge: Movin' On Up

It's just a great feeling looking back to the beginning of the year and realizing that I was playing 2NL, and now I'm very close to 50NL.
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!NA is right about the rakeback thing if you are not gonna get supernova, except that I'm gonna be playing 50nl 6max on FTP soon, and I don't want you taking my gold
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This deserves to get seen by a few more people. From our resident Stupidhead...v1.27Feral Cow Poker Hand ConverterHEM/Poker Stars NL Hold'em $1.00/$2.00 - 6 playersButton: $237.98SB: $200.00BB: $60.00

I remember when this thread was all about how bad KJ was at 3betting

He's probably not flatting KJ's raise otf if he had a2. Besides, A2 is such a small portion of his range here, we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever folding the turn. People are stupid, they do

Posted Images

Unless you're in gear to get SN you may want to have a hard re-think about where you play cash. Breakeven 50NL pays the bills on rakeback
What sort of volume do you think is needed for that and how much is "paying the bills"?

No idea why I didn't raise pre, but weeeeeeee for running good... no spade and bring him the rivered 2 purrrz!feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.10/$0.25 - 6 playersCO: $24.15 Button: $23.71 SB: $18.42 BB: $27.19 (Hero)UTG: $25.00 UTG+1: $31.92 Preflop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with 3s.gifKs.gif (6 players)2 folds, Button calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, Hero checksFlop: ($0.75) 5s.gif7s.gif9s.gif (4 players)SB bets $0.75, Hero raises to $3.50, Button folds, SB calls $2.75Turn: ($7.75) 3c.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $5.95, SB calls $5.95River: ($19.65) Ac.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $17.49, and is all in, SB calls $8.72, and is all inSB mucked 7c.gifAs.gifHero showed 3s.gifKs.gif, and won ($35.24) with a flush, King highHero won $35.24(Rake: $1.85)

No idea why I didn't raise pre, but weeeeeeee for running good... no spade and bring him the rivered 2 purrrz!feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.10/$0.25 - 6 playersCO: $24.15 Button: $23.71 SB: $18.42 BB: $27.19 (Hero)UTG: $25.00 UTG+1: $31.92 Preflop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with 3s.gifKs.gif (6 players)2 folds, Button calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, Hero checksFlop: ($0.75) 5s.gif7s.gif9s.gif (4 players)SB bets $0.75, Hero raises to $3.50, Button folds, SB calls $2.75Turn: ($7.75) 3c.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $5.95, SB calls $5.95River: ($19.65) Ac.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $17.49, and is all in, SB calls $8.72, and is all inSB mucked 7c.gifAs.gifHero showed 3s.gifKs.gif, and won ($35.24) with a flush, King highHero won $35.24(Rake: $1.85)
I like checking better then raising.
What sort of volume do you think is needed for that and how much is "paying the bills"?
When I played on Full Tilt. I averaged 4.6 cents in MGR/hand at 50nl 6max over 92k hand sample. ~$125 in rakeback every 10k hands.
assuming 1k hands /hr rb at 50NL comes out to about $15 an hr which is like 30k a year if you play fulltime. Nothing to write home about, but unless you've got a 6 figure job and lots of debt due to using it, it should pay most people's bills by itself. Winning is just more awesome.
When I played on Full Tilt. I averaged 4.6 cents in MGR/hand at 50nl 6max over 92k hand sample. ~$125 in rakeback every 10k hands.
hmmm that's vastly different from me... that's like $10/hr ... out of curiosity are you typically under or over the mgr?

Thanks for the info, right now I'm trying to work out what is a sensible sort of end goal. I'm not at 50NL yet and I don't feel I'm exactly crushing 25NL either but I'd bite your hand off for 30k a year (depending on exchange rates).

hmmm that's vastly different from me... that's like $10/hr ... out of curiosity are you typically under or over the mgr?
I have no idea how to check this . I am guessing that your agressive, get stacks in trying to move people, style means more large pots that get raked. I was playing around 20/16 for most of that sample.
I have no idea how to check this . I am guessing that your agressive, get stacks in trying to move people, style means more large pots that get raked. I was playing around 20/16 for most of that sample.
Really? in PT3 they give you the MGR and Rake stats. Rake is the amount you paid and MGR is obv still average. My rake is almost always bigger than the average... and I do play like a 30/25 at 6-max with lots of 2balls and 3bets... but iono from what I've seen you post here I'd assume your average pot isn't that small, and a 20/16 isn't exactly nitty. It's hard for me to get exact numbers tho bc my databases are all over the effing place spread out between machines =\
Really? in PT3 they give you the MGR and Rake stats. Rake is the amount you paid and MGR is obv still average. My rake is almost always bigger than the average... and I do play like a 30/25 at 6-max with lots of 2balls and 3bets... but iono from what I've seen you post here I'd assume your average pot isn't that small, and a 20/16 isn't exactly nitty. It's hard for me to get exact numbers tho bc my databases are all over the effing place spread out between machines =\
During that 92k sample, I generated $3531 in rake and $4323 in MGRedit: I just thought of another reason for the difference. I think the only strategy I knew for a majority of that time came from DN's small ball poker book. All about the small pots and waiting for the nuts.

I'm new here. I was playing primarily cash games, but I stopped for a while to play SNG's, but I am playing cash games again and I have a few questions about hands. I tend to ask a lot because I want to improve my game as much as possible. Even if I think a move is right, I like to ask to make sure because I could be confused.Anyways, I hope this is an okay place to ask those questions.feral_cow_icon.gifMoooooooooooraaawwwr.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 5 playersSB: $22.68 BB: $11.58 UTG: $10.00 CO: $10.00 Button: $9.95 (Hero)Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is Button with :4h:jh (5 players)UTG raises to $0.40, CO folds, Hero calls $0.40, SB calls $0.35, BB foldsFlop: ($1.30) :D :D :D (3 players)SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checksTurn: ($1.30) :D (3 players)SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.80, SB calls $0.80, UTG foldsRiver: ($2.90) :ts (2 players)SB checks, Hero bets $1.40, SB raises to $9.70, Hero calls $7.35 and is all-in(Rake: $1.01)I hope people don't think I'm a calling station, I rarely make calls in spots like these, but today I have been in these spots a few times. The reason I called here is because someone 3bet me and I called, she checked and I bet (not sure why, I thought maybe she was expecting a fold but it was stupid on my part, maybe I'm just tired) and she raised and I folded and she showed a gutshot draw. Like 3 hands later, I raised some hand in position and a different guy called (the villain in the posted hand), he checked the flop and I bet and he raised and I thought I should fold in that spot too since I don't know how often these people are checkraising. I believe this was the next hand or the one after and as you can see the hand history, I felt he was just trying to push me off of my hand and I made the call, since I didn't think a pair of 8's or 9's would be strong enough to do that with.feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 6 playersCO: $10.00 (Hero)Button: $10.00 SB: $11.45 BB: $9.83 UTG: $14.22 UTG+1: $6.63 Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with :4h:5c (6 players)2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.75) :3h:ts:club: (2 players)Hero bets $0.50, Button calls $0.50Turn: ($1.75) :qh (2 players)Hero bets $1.10, Button calls $1.10River: ($3.95) :club: (2 players)Hero bets $1.90,I don't usually bluff on 3 streets, so I am not sure about the spots I pick. I wasn't particularly happy with the river card since I felt he was drawing, but I didn't want to let him check behind with an ace or small pair if I was wrong. Should I pick my spots better, or was this fine?

@77 I like the turn bet for value/protection as he can call with over cards and a picked up diamond draw and stuff... I think bet/fold is the optimal line on the river, although he is repping nothing. I still fold bc I just don't give most people credit to bluff raise riversEDIT: I think I just check back the river, what hands that we are ahead of will call... occasionally A high, but not very often. And we can't make any better hands fold imo@KQ I like it. You are repping an over pair and I think your sizing is good over-all.Going forward, don't include the results. Like in the 77 hand, after you have pasted teh converted HH, just delete the part where you call and on the KQ hand include up until you bet the river and don't let us know that villain folded bc it biases the feedback you will get.

@77 I like the turn bet for value/protection as he can call with over cards and a picked up diamond draw and stuff... I think bet/fold is the optimal line on the river, although he is repping nothing but a full house, which are hard to make... I still fold but I just don't give most people credit to bluff raise riversEDIT: I think I just check back the river, what hands that we are ahead of will call... occasionally A high, but not very often. And we can't make any better hands fold imo@KQ I like it. You are repping an over pair and I think your sizing is good over-all.Going forward, don't include the results. Like in the 77 hand, after you have pasted teh converted HH, just delete the part where you call and on the KQ hand include up until you bet the river and don't let us know that villain folded bc it biases the feedback you will get.
Ah yeah sorry, I forgot that it doesn't cut out when people fold.Thinking about the 77 hand, you're right. I didn't really think it through enough and I'm not sure why, because I usually think through my hands well. He probably wouldn't have folded a better hand.
@77 I like the turn bet for value/protection as he can call with over cards and a picked up diamond draw and stuff... I think bet/fold is the optimal line on the river, although he is repping nothing but a full house, which are hard to make... I still fold but I just don't give most people credit to bluff raise riversEDIT: I think I just check back the river, what hands that we are ahead of will call... occasionally A high, but not very often. And we can't make any better hands fold imo@KQ I like it. You are repping an over pair and I think your sizing is good over-all.Going forward, don't include the results. Like in the 77 hand, after you have pasted teh converted HH, just delete the part where you call and on the KQ hand include up until you bet the river and don't let us know that villain folded bc it biases the feedback you will get.
Agree with james on everything. KQ, is fine in a vaccum. Just don't do it too much. Also this flop isn't that great to cbet at oop unless you have multiple shells. Which you do so nice hand.
I don't usually bluff on 3 streets, so I am not sure about the spots I pick. I wasn't particularly happy with the river card since I felt he was drawing, but I didn't want to let him check behind with an ace or small pair if I was wrong. Should I pick my spots better, or was this fine?
This is a good 3 barrel board... but I generally wouldn't 3barrel a dry board at 10NL just because people have trouble finding the fold button... especially since your bet sizes will warrant look ups. I know you "feel" he's drawing but there are only 2 not so common draws (9-7 and 5-4)...
This is a good 3 barrel board... but I generally wouldn't 3barrel a dry board at 10NL just because people have trouble finding the fold button... especially since your bet sizes will warrant look ups. I know you "feel" he's drawing but there are only 2 not so common draws (9-7 and 5-4)...
I also figured that if he had an 8, I could maybe get him to fold. However, you are right and people at 10NL just call down way too often. I play 25NL on some obscure fishy site, and I routinely see people calling down with nothing... Calling river bets with missed draws and so on... Then in other instances, people are almost all-in and have like 1BB behind, and they fold to a bet. I have seen it with as little as 1 SB and it blows my mind. It's like they do what is wrong in every situation :club:
No idea, feel free to add me. My info is in the info thread. Have to warn you, I am not on often.
fighter.awesome@KangarooKountry.aus obvword, added you on the skype

4 bets bluffVillain is 27/23I think his value range here is super narrow on a board this dry, and he's rarely (if ever) going to have what he's trying to rep, which I would imagine to be 66 or 33.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comSB ($36.60)BB ($25.35)UTG ($42.63)MP ($25)Hero (CO) ($25.42)Button ($25)Preflop: Hero is CO with A :ts, J :5c2 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50Flop: ($1.60) K :4h, 3 :3h, 6 :club:(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $1.25, BB raises to $4.25, Hero raises to $11.50, 1 foldTotal pot: $10.10 | Rake: $0.50

4 bets bluffVillain is 27/23I think his value range here is super narrow on a board this dry, and he's rarely (if ever) going to have what he's trying to rep, which I would imagine to be 66 or 33.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comSB ($36.60)BB ($25.35)UTG ($42.63)MP ($25)Hero (CO) ($25.42)Button ($25)Preflop: Hero is CO with A :ts, J :5c2 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50Flop: ($1.60) K :4h, 3 :3h, 6 :club:(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $1.25, BB raises to $4.25, Hero raises to $11.50, 1 foldTotal pot: $10.10 | Rake: $0.50
You're calling if he jams? Putting in 1/2 your stack and folding seems bad to me :qh with some amount of equity tooEDIT: he should never raise 33 or 66 on this board bc he's in position and that board is dry and you're range is realllly wide to just open and cbet.