New Challenge: Movin' On Up

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This deserves to get seen by a few more people. From our resident Stupidhead...v1.27Feral Cow Poker Hand ConverterHEM/Poker Stars NL Hold'em $1.00/$2.00 - 6 playersButton: $237.98SB: $200.00BB: $60.00

I remember when this thread was all about how bad KJ was at 3betting

He's probably not flatting KJ's raise otf if he had a2. Besides, A2 is such a small portion of his range here, we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever folding the turn. People are stupid, they do

Posted Images

Up until recently I never had much of a live BR. Every now and then when I could scrounge together $300-$500 I'd hit the tables. If I lost, it was just some extra money. If I won, it was some extra money to help pay for life expenses. A month or so ago I went on a decent heater in short order and decided to try to keep a BR for live. It's currently sitting at about $2800, though it should be higher. Every now and then I use some poker winnings to pay for a new driver (yay!) or a speeding ticket (boo!). I try to play every Friday at a 1-3nl game. Then I try to go up to Blackhawk once a week to play 1/2. It's nice because Ameristar gives me decent hotel deals (usually a free room or $39 at max). So every now and then I'll just stay up there. It beats driving the 1hour drive home dead tired at 4am.Obviously there was a point where I was playing 1-2/1-3 with $1000 or so which obviously isn't good BRM, but with live games rarely going under 1-2 I didn't really have a choice. I don't have an accurate hourly win rate, but I just got a new IPhone app to help track my sessions. I currently have won $155 through 10 hours, which is only yesterday which included that nice 46<69 cooler. I also try to write down hands in my notes sections for input later. It helps because something I'll try to recall a hand and think "Was the flop rainbow, or where there two spades?" and stuff like that.
I keep having dreams and day dreaming that I grind live 1/2 for a living.
Up until recently I never had much of a live BR. Every now and then when I could scrounge together $300-$500 I'd hit the tables. If I lost, it was just some extra money. If I won, it was some extra money to help pay for life expenses. A month or so ago I went on a decent heater in short order and decided to try to keep a BR for live. It's currently sitting at about $2800, though it should be higher. Every now and then I use some poker winnings to pay for a new driver (yay!) or a speeding ticket (boo!). I try to play every Friday at a 1-3nl game. Then I try to go up to Blackhawk once a week to play 1/2. It's nice because Ameristar gives me decent hotel deals (usually a free room or $39 at max). So every now and then I'll just stay up there. It beats driving the 1hour drive home dead tired at 4am.Obviously there was a point where I was playing 1-2/1-3 with $1000 or so which obviously isn't good BRM, but with live games rarely going under 1-2 I didn't really have a choice. I don't have an accurate hourly win rate, but I just got a new IPhone app to help track my sessions. I currently have won $155 through 10 hours, which is only yesterday which included that nice 46<69 cooler. I also try to write down hands in my notes sections for input later. It helps because something I'll try to recall a hand and think "Was the flop rainbow, or where there two spades?" and stuff like that.
As you start racking up the hours, I'd be interested to know how you continue to do (along with anyone else here who regularly plays live), and what you find to be a sustainable winrate at your games. I've only got about 25 hours at $2/$2 NLHE at my local pokerroom and currently am averaging about $21 an hour, though I don't know whether I can keep that up.How much attention do you pay attention to live reads when you play, or do you mostly just focus on betting patterns?
As you start racking up the hours, I'd be interested to know how you continue to do (along with anyone else here who regularly plays live), and what you find to be a sustainable winrate at your games. I've only got about 25 hours at $2/$2 NLHE at my local pokerroom and currently am averaging about $21 an hour, though I don't know whether I can keep that up.How much attention do you pay attention to live reads when you play, or do you mostly just focus on betting patterns?
I hope I can continue a good win rate. I would love to move up to 2-5 sometime soon, but with the $100 limit CO has it'd be horrible. Almost any decent sized pot would turn into limit by the turn. I've been trying to find a 1-2/1-3/2-5 game closer to Denver to play so I won't have to make the trip to Blackhawk as much to play. As far as reads go, I'd say it's a bit of both. I'd say you need to pay more attention to betting patterns because live tells are just way obvious. Betting patterns take more work because you need to see some showdowns before you can establish what bet means what.

lol 86 vpip-amentsMerge Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1377566DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History ConverterHero (UTG): $17.97TheStraw33 (MP): $10.86confussed (CO): $6.70VAARMIT777 (BTN): $5.42sjonniearjan4 (SB): $10.99JohnnyKorova (BB): $11.36Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A :5c A :jhHero raises to $0.35, TheStraw33 calls $0.35, confussed raises to $0.60, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 1 fold, confussed raises to $6.70 all in, Hero calls $5.20Flop: ($13.90) 5 :3h 3 :club: 4 :ts(2 players - 1 is all in)Turn: ($13.90) J :D(2 players - 1 is all in)River: ($13.90) K :D(2 players - 1 is all in)Final Pot: $13.90Hero shows A :qh A :club:confussed shows 6 :4h 7 :D (Seven High Straight)confussed wins $13.21(Rake: $0.69)

Then a bit later he was jamming almost every handMerge Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1377568DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History ConverterHero (BB): $15.11TheStraw33 (UTG): $15.67confussed (CO): $7.06VAARMIT777 (BTN): $7.48pppkkkrrr (SB): $3.07Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A :D 6 :club:1 fold, confussed raises to $7.06 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls $6.96Flop: ($14.17) 2 :ts Q :D 5 :3h(2 players - 1 is all in)Turn: ($14.17) 9 :qh(2 players - 1 is all in)River: ($14.17) T :4h(2 players - 1 is all in)Final Pot: $14.17Hero shows A :D 6 :diamond:confussed shows 2 :jh A :5c (Pair of Twos)confussed wins $13.47(Rake: $0.70)

Back to back handsMerge Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1377569DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History ConverterHero (SB): $10.00TheStraw33 (BB): $15.67confussed (UTG): $13.47VAARMIT777 (CO): $7.48pppkkkrrr (BTN): $3.02Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with A :club: K :Dconfussed raises to $13.47 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls $9.95 all in, 1 foldFlop: ($20.10) 9 :5c 8 :ts 5 :3h(2 players - 2 are all in)Turn: ($20.10) T :D(2 players - 2 are all in)River: ($20.10) 8 :D(2 players - 2 are all in)Final Pot: $20.10Hero shows A :4h K :club:confussed shows 9 :qh A :jh (Two Pair Nines and Eights)confussed wins $3.47confussed wins $15.63(Rake: $1.00)

Then a bit later he was jamming almost every handMerge Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1377568DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History ConverterHero (BB): $15.11TheStraw33 (UTG): $15.67confussed (CO): $7.06VAARMIT777 (BTN): $7.48pppkkkrrr (SB): $3.07Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A :D 6 :club:1 fold, confussed raises to $7.06 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls $6.96Flop: ($14.17) 2 :ts Q :D 5 :3h(2 players - 1 is all in)Turn: ($14.17) 9 :qh(2 players - 1 is all in)River: ($14.17) T :4h(2 players - 1 is all in)Final Pot: $14.17Hero shows A :D 6 :diamond:confussed shows 2 :jh A :5c (Pair of Twos)confussed wins $13.47(Rake: $0.70)
lol the absolute worst, call off with an ace rag that you know is good, and it is, and lose

yeah... it super thin/high variance but come on..... and of course if AA holds the 1st time... we don't have any of the tilt/bluff/AJ debacle got new shoes and subway (chicken bacon ranch) for lunch so all tilt is gone...tomorrow I'm gonna crush souls

In the interest of full disclosure and all that fun stuff...two spewy hands :(He's 24/14/2 over 200 hands and I have no reason to think he doesn't have QT TT or 33 here but I call it offMerge, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterHero (CO): $10BTN: $10.96SB: $10.14BB: $9.22UTG: $7.62Pre-Flop: Kdiamond.gif Qclub.gif dealt to Hero (CO)UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.75) Tclub.gif Qdiamond.gif 3spadenormal.gif (2 Players)Hero bets $0.50, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1Turn: ($3.75) 4heartnormal.gif (2 Players)Hero checks, BTN bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75River: ($9.25) Jspadenormal.gif (2 Players)Hero checks, BTN bets $5, Hero calls $5Results: $19.25 Pot ($0.96 Rake)Hero showed Kdiamond.gif Qclub.gif and LOST (-$9.55 NET)BTN showed Theartnormal.gif Tdiamond.gif and WON $18.29 (+$8.74 NET)

This dude was at least 52/0 so I have some reason to believe there is some value in my line...#drawingdeadinsteadMerge, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterHero (UTG): $10.51MP: $22.76CO: $10BTN: $9.52SB: $10BB: $9.24Pre-Flop: Aheartnormal.gif Jclub.gif dealt to Hero (UTG)Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, BB calls $0.20Flop: ($0.65) 8club.gif Aclub.gif 3club.gif (2 Players)BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB raises to $1, Hero raises to $3, BB calls $2Turn: ($6.65) 2spadenormal.gif (2 Players)BB checks, Hero raises to $7.21 and is All-In, BB calls $5.94 and is All-InRiver: ($18.53) Kdiamond.gif (2 Players - 1 is All-In)Results: $18.53 Pot ($0.92 Rake)Hero showed Aheartnormal.gif Jclub.gif and LOST (-$9.24 NET)BB showed Kclub.gif Qclub.gif and WON $17.61 (+$8.47 NET)

As far as reads go, I'd say it's a bit of both. I'd say you need to pay more attention to betting patterns because live tells are just way obvious. Betting patterns take more work because you need to see some showdowns before you can establish what bet means what.
I played a bunch for a few years online around '04ish-'07ish and then basically pulled my money (after there were issues with Neteller I mostly stopped, as I guess I sort of thought Black Friday would happen much sooner than it did). So naturally betting patterns were all I had to go on while I was learning how to play. I was asking you about how much live reads help you because when I started playing live, tells became a pretty big part of helping me make decisions, so I was curious what your experience was (like if you didn't bother much with reading body language but still did just fine in live play).

Any of you have ever usen the ''get it free'' promotion on Holdemmanager.com? It seems i can't get holdemmanager.com to link with my account. It's pretty annoying.

I played a bunch for a few years online around '04ish-'07ish and then basically pulled my money (after there were issues with Neteller I mostly stopped, as I guess I sort of thought Black Friday would happen much sooner than it did). So naturally betting patterns were all I had to go on while I was learning how to play. I was asking you about how much live reads help you because when I started playing live, tells became a pretty big part of helping me make decisions, so I was curious what your experience was (like if you didn't bother much with reading body language but still did just fine in live play).
I think picking up tells helps a lot, and it prepares you for higher limits/tougher games. Overall at 1-2 they help me a little bit, but players are generally so bad it doesn't matter. Maybe the games where I play are super weak (compared to normal 1-2) because playing ABC poker will probably make you a consistent winner albeit a small one. Over half the players at 1-2 play their cards, nothing else. I try to pick up on what players I can bluff and what players will call everything. I think in small live games it's more about betting patterns. I think things are a bit more difficult in the 1-3 game I play. It's the same group of 15 or so regulars and 10-15 not-so-regulars. I think I have decent reads on most of them as far as betting patterns and tells go.

This post is brought to you by Cracked Ace-aments and Triple Barrel Bluff-aments.:Merge No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Merge Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comBB ($4)UTG ($4.85)Hero (MP) ($7.54)Button ($3.31)SB ($5.25)Preflop: Hero is MP with A :D, A :4h1 fold, Hero bets $0.12, Button raises to $3.31 (All-In), SB calls $3.29, 1 fold, Hero raises to $7.54 (All-In), SB calls $1.94 (All-In)Flop: ($13.85) 4 :qc, 9 :3d, K :5c(3 players, 3 all-in)Turn: ($13.85) J :D(3 players, 3 all-in)River: ($13.85) 3 :club:(3 players, 3 all-in)Total pot: $13.85Results:Button had 10 :ts, A :4h (high card, Ace).SB had 10 :club:, Q :3h (straight, King high).Hero had A :ts, A :qh (one pair, Aces).Outcome: SB won $13.16Merge No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Merge Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comCO ($7.17)Button ($4)SB ($4.03)Hero (BB) ($6.23)UTG ($2.96)MP ($2.11)Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 :5c, A :3h3 folds, Button bets $0.12, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.38, Button calls $0.26Flop: ($0.78) 3 :jh, Q :7s, 8 :D(2 players)Hero bets $0.43, Button calls $0.43Turn: ($1.64) 4 :qh(2 players)Hero bets $0.66, Button calls $0.66River: ($2.96) 7 :jh(2 players)Hero raises to $4.76 (All-In), 1 foldTotal pot: $2.96Results:Hero didn't show 5 :D, A :D (nothing).Outcome: Hero won $7.58

In the interest of full disclosure and all that fun stuff...two spewy hands :(He's 24/14/2 over 200 hands and I have no reason to think he doesn't have QT TT or 33 here but I call it offMerge, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterHero (CO): $10BTN: $10.96SB: $10.14BB: $9.22UTG: $7.62Pre-Flop: Kdiamond.gif Qclub.gif dealt to Hero (CO)UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.75) Tclub.gif Qdiamond.gif 3spadenormal.gif (2 Players)Hero bets $0.50, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1Turn: ($3.75) 4heartnormal.gif (2 Players)Hero checks, BTN bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75River: ($9.25) Jspadenormal.gif (2 Players)Hero checks, BTN bets $5, Hero calls $5Results: $19.25 Pot ($0.96 Rake)Hero showed Kdiamond.gif Qclub.gif and LOST (-$9.55 NET)BTN showed Theartnormal.gif Tdiamond.gif and WON $18.29 (+$8.74 NET)
yea, standard flop fold or turn c/f