New Challenge: Movin' On Up

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This deserves to get seen by a few more people. From our resident Stupidhead...v1.27Feral Cow Poker Hand ConverterHEM/Poker Stars NL Hold'em $1.00/$2.00 - 6 playersButton: $237.98SB: $200.00BB: $60.00

I remember when this thread was all about how bad KJ was at 3betting

He's probably not flatting KJ's raise otf if he had a2. Besides, A2 is such a small portion of his range here, we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever folding the turn. People are stupid, they do

Posted Images

hmmm crap, the more I think as I am writing this my little voice is saying... you're an idiot, how many times have you seen all-ins when no one has AA/KK/AK, and sadly I am saying quite frequently... So yes you probably are correct, unless its one of the regular 11/5 nits it probably should be a call.
I was posting about this in another thread, that forums/videos can be detrimental to your winrate at the stakes you play. While getting a poker education is great, it's often provided by players who are at a higher level, financially and cognitively (in regard to poker...poker players as a group don't strike me as all that intelligent). Like in this thread, Stupidhead is talking about varying raise sizes preflop based on position. He's recommending that late position opens should be 2.5x. Basically no one here should listen to him. Not because what he says is bad (he's a winner at 1/2nlhe), but because it just doesn't apply to the stakes we all play. On the one hand poker ed. tools like forums can prepare you for what to expect as you move up, but that preparation can prevent you from crushing your current level. You begin to play hands like you would against phantom opponents, not those at your actual limit...Now if we look at 2nl, you're going to find lots of guys who don't understand the basics of poker, and they'll go all-in pf with a bunch of hands. It doesn't need to be AA/KK. As you move up, you'll find fewer players who'll do this...
Why?
Because even though your range from UTG is strong, bloating the pot OOP is going to smash you in the long run when you find yourself capable of actually folding overpairs in the right spots. Also, you heighten your chance of multiple callers making your PF strong hand not nearly as strong postflop with a much bigger pot.And if you look at your position stats I'm sure you see a trend of profit increasing as you approach the button... that's for a reason... position is incredibly valuable... so if you're varying value bet your position.

Yeah, position is important. So by raising more up front, we discourage calls from people who have position on us and hope to play a HU pot against one of the blinds.If we get called and we're oop after raising utg, our range is strong, and we raised an amount where villains shouldn't be calling with ATC... We are able to better define their range, and play better imo

I was posting about this in another thread, that forums/videos can be detrimental to your winrate at the stakes you play. While getting a poker education is great, it's often provided by players who are at a higher level, financially and cognitively (in regard to poker...poker players as a group don't strike me as all that intelligent). Like in this thread, Stupidhead is talking about varying raise sizes preflop based on position. He's recommending that late position opens should be 2.5x. Basically no one here should listen to him. Not because what he says is bad (he's a winner at 1/2nlhe), but because it just doesn't apply to the stakes we all play. On the one hand poker ed. tools like forums can prepare you for what to expect as you move up, but that preparation can prevent you from crushing your current level. You begin to play hands like you would against phantom opponents, not those at your actual limit...Now if we look at 2nl, you're going to find lots of guys who don't understand the basics of poker, and they'll go all-in pf with a bunch of hands. It doesn't need to be AA/KK. As you move up, you'll find fewer players who'll do this...
Which goes back to the statement of Sklansky.... What level does your opponent play at and play accordingly... Against weak players the best strategy is to play your cards in a basic, straightforward way.....Kosin Trouble

wtfffffffff Full Tilt punishes the aggroPOTPOTPOT tard...did give him a strong holding thoFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) ($10)Button ($10.15)SB ($12.98)BB ($2.92)UTG ($5.14)MP ($14.20)Preflop: Hero is CO with A :D, 10 :club:2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.75) 3 :D, 7 :ts, A :4h(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10Turn: ($2.95) J :jh(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $2.95, Hero raises to $8.60 (All-In), Button calls $5.65River: ($20.15) 3 :D(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: $20.15 | Rake: $1.34Results:Button had J :5c, K :3h (two pair, Jacks and threes).Hero had A :D, 10 :qh (two pair, Aces and threes).Outcome: Hero won $18.81

Nice turn card for you. Did he snap call the crai?Also, I love how he runs into the very bottom of your range and is just crushed!!!!
He actually thought about it for like 10 seconds. After he took so long, I was positive that he'd flip over some trash like QJ/KJ (no diamonds) or a slowrolled AJ. KdJd surprised me because that should be in his snapping range.I considered just calling and letting him hang himself on the river, but w/e, there were some draws out there and the jack hits his tard range. With ~$6 out already I was happy to go all-in.rb day is the best poker day. and Full Tilt offered me a $50 bonus. I'm not quite as excited about it was Syntonic was, but it's still neat.
wtfffffffff Full Tilt punishes the aggroPOTPOTPOT tard...did give him a strong holding thoFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) ($10)Button ($10.15)SB ($12.98)BB ($2.92)UTG ($5.14)MP ($14.20)Preflop: Hero is CO with A :D, 10 :club:2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.75) 3 :D, 7 :ts, A :4h(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10Turn: ($2.95) J :jh(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $2.95, Hero raises to $8.60 (All-In), Button calls $5.65River: ($20.15) 3 :D(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: $20.15 | Rake: $1.34Results:Button had J :5c, K :3h (two pair, Jacks and threes).Hero had A :D, 10 :qh (two pair, Aces and threes).Outcome: Hero won $18.81
Nice read even though I hate how you played it...I assuming it was based on past hands against the players making it correct.

And I read some of your discussion on the last page and disagree with the players against 2.5x preflop raises. My preflop raises are pretty randomly between 2.5x and 4x with the majority towards the low end (at 6 max). Playing 6 max in position even the these lowest levels raising to 2.5x works fine...assuming that you can outplay your opponents postflop. It allows you to apply the small ball approach to these cash games and does actually work.And one comment on another post I read. Obviously dont use a formula where you base your pfr on what cards you are dealt, but also dont say that you should never do this. At these levels you need to consider the opponents left to act at the table while determining your pfr size. Extreme example: If your dealt AA on the button and there is a player left to act with a VPIP of 75 who seems to be calling every pfr (not that rare at this level) now is the time to make him pay. The guys probably not paying attention to your raise sizes and its probably worth making it like 6x or something like that. Get as much money as you can in now while you know you are ahead and you will show a profit in the long run. Where as if your dealt 44 in the same spot and would normally raise, you now wouldnt want to. You know that you are going to see the flop and are a coin flip to win the hand at best because you have no fold equity. (Obviously what the player does post flop would factor into the 44 hand as well but thats for another time.)

Nice read even though I hate how you played it...I assuming it was based on past hands against the players making it correct.
it's pretty std imo against an aggrotard who bets whenever checked to. He did me a favor by overbetting otf, too.
Yeah, I just saw that and didn't see results<3, hope it went wellEdit: PTR says you did well, congrats sir!!!! Also, did he pay you? and did he make a video/is he making a video?
TY sir, he did, and he is
UTG- 4xHJ- 3.5xCO- 3.5xBTN- 3xShould I rework this? Like 3.5x UTG and HJ and 3x CO and BTN?
Not really a huge leak either way, I go 4x (or pot) from UTG/UTG+1 and 3x everywhere else
This is backwards... if you're varying range sizes by position they should increase as your position improves.
Actually this is backwards
Yeah, position is important. So by raising more up front, we discourage calls from people who have position on us and hope to play a HU pot against one of the blinds.If we get called and we're oop after raising utg, our range is strong, and we raised an amount where villains shouldn't be calling with ATC... We are able to better define their range, and play better imo
This is basically why. Also IP we want a larger stack:pot ratio while making our huge % of steals cheaper so we can call more 3bets, etc. because we have more room to play with.
feral_cow_icon.gifConverted by the cows of Feral Cow PokerFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.02/$0.05 ante $0.01 - 6 playersCO: $18.05 Button: $8.64 SB: $11.12 (Hero)BB: $10.14 UTG: $28.21 UTG+1: $5.79 Preflop: ($0.13) Hero is SB with :club::3h (6 players)UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.15, CO folds, Button calls $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0.35, Button foldsFlop: ($1.26) :5c:4h:ts (2 players)Hero bets $0.68, UTG+1 calls $0.68Turn: ($2.62) :qh (2 players)Hero bets $1.70, UTG+1 foldsHero won $2.45(Rake: $0.17)This is quite probably my biggest leak. To c-bet or not to c-bet? To 2-barrels or not to 2-barrels? I make those decisions mostly out of the moment. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.How do you guys deal with c-bets versus a single opponent?
feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.02/$0.05 ante $0.01 - 5 playersBB: $18.46 UTG: $13.44 (Hero)CO: $10.00 Button: $33.25 SB: $5.16 Preflop: ($0.12) Hero is UTG with :club::4h (5 players)Hero raises to $0.20, CO folds, Button calls $0.20, SB calls $0.18, BB foldsFlop: ($0.70) :3h:ts:5c (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, Button calls $0.40, SB raises to $2.30, Hero folds, Button foldsSB won $1.78(Rake: $0.12)Felt really weak folding in this spot. I didn't like facing his half a stack raise. I have 4.5 to 1 chances of hitting the flush per street, and have to call a 2-1 raise on the flop and something similar when he moves all-in on the turn so figured it was either a fold or shove.

that AK hand is gross bad... on a medium light flop like that your c-bets need to be around 2/3rds pot size...That's a horrific barrel card, esp considering you're holding the Adalthough, it's a 3 bet pot... so I 2barrel frequently here anyhow

feral_cow_icon.gifDont have a cow, heres your converted handFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.02/$0.05 ante $0.01 - 5 playersButton: $16.70 SB: $8.24 BB: $12.99 (Hero)UTG: $8.33 CO: $5.29 Preflop: ($0.12) Hero is BB with 8d.gifAc.gif (5 players)2 folds, Button raises to $0.15, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.60, Button calls $0.45Flop: ($1.27) Qc.gif7c.gifQh.gif (2 players)Hero bets $0.90, Button calls $0.90Turn: ($3.07) Jc.gif (2 players)Hero bets $2, Button foldsHero won $2.87(Rake: $0.20)Why check if you can spew? For my defense, i 3-betted because villain would attempt to steal my BB every orbit. I figured the flop probably didn't hit him and what better card to 2-barrel than a club there? Nobody seems to respect the flop bet from the preflop aggressor but give up a lot more on the turn (based on my experience). Was it fine this time or super leak?
feral_cow_icon.gifDont have a cow, heres your converted handFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.02/$0.05 ante $0.01 - 5 playersButton: $16.70 SB: $8.24 BB: $12.99 (Hero)UTG: $8.33 CO: $5.29 Preflop: ($0.12) Hero is BB with 8d.gifAc.gif (5 players)2 folds, Button raises to $0.15, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.60, Button calls $0.45Flop: ($1.27) Qc.gif7c.gifQh.gif (2 players)Hero bets $0.90, Button calls $0.90Turn: ($3.07) Jc.gif (2 players)Hero bets $2, Button foldsHero won $2.87(Rake: $0.20)Why check if you can spew? For my defense, i 3-betted because villain would attempt to steal my BB every orbit. I figured the flop probably didn't hit him and what better card to 2-barrel than a club there? Nobody seems to respect the flop bet from the preflop aggressor but give up a lot more on the turn (based on my experience). Was it fine this time or super leak?
Other than this being 5NL I really like how you played this hand...well... your three bet is a teeny bit on the large side which makes the next few streets tougher
The turn bets fine if you think he called the flop with air. 3 betting to defend you blind is something that you have to do. If the guys doing it every orbit then he is obv doing it light. Therefore there is a lot of value in 3 betting occassionally.