New Challenge: Movin' On Up

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This deserves to get seen by a few more people. From our resident Stupidhead...v1.27Feral Cow Poker Hand ConverterHEM/Poker Stars NL Hold'em $1.00/$2.00 - 6 playersButton: $237.98SB: $200.00BB: $60.00

I remember when this thread was all about how bad KJ was at 3betting

He's probably not flatting KJ's raise otf if he had a2. Besides, A2 is such a small portion of his range here, we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever folding the turn. People are stupid, they do

Posted Images

This isn't late MTT play. You have almost no FE whatsoever with a 2.5x open in cash, especially if most of the table is close to the full buyin.
I disagree, Almost all people don't adjust well enough to small late position opens.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee what a rush. Just 3 tabled Jordan at 2/4 HU for a few hours
Yeah, I just saw that and didn't see results<3, hope it went wellEdit: PTR says you did well, congrats sir!!!! Also, did he pay you? and did he make a video/is he making a video?
This isn't late MTT play. You have almost no FE whatsoever with a 2.5x open in cash, especially if most of the table is close to the full buyin.
My standard opening at 6max is 3x from UTG/UTG+1 and 2.5x from CO/Button. I've yet to see a difference of playback from when I used to open 3.5x and 3x.
My standard opening at 6max is 3x from UTG/UTG+1 and 2.5x from CO/Button. I've yet to see a difference of playback from when I used to open 3.5x and 3x.
UTG- 4xHJ- 3.5xCO- 3.5xBTN- 3xShould I rework this? Like 3.5x UTG and HJ and 3x CO and BTN?

I remember Chris Ferguson says he raises more with better position. He does so his raises gain more credibility from latter position. In contrast, a raise from UTG / UTG +1 / MP1(if 9-handed) represents strength regardless how small the raise is.Anyone find this logic would be applicable, like ever(at the tables you play)?

I remember Chris Ferguson says he raises more with better position. He does so his raises gain more credibility from latter position. In contrast, a raise from UTG / UTG +1 / MP1(if 9-handed) represents strength regardless how small the raise is.Anyone find this logic would be applicable, like ever(at the tables you play)?
Thats for tournament play.Honestly, I don't see a reason to vary your open size. I 3.5x open from all positions in cash. (+1 per limper) I don't think its a mistake to do so per se, I just don't see the logic behind it.But I do very very very strongly disagree with ever opening 2.5x. You miss so much value in the long run.
Thats for tournament play.Honestly, I don't see a reason to vary your open size. I 3.5x open from all positions in cash. (+1 per limper) I don't think its a mistake to do so per se, I just don't see the logic behind it.But I do very very very strongly disagree with ever opening 2.5x. You miss so much value in the long run.
Pot odds?

stoopid is the nuts so he has to have a good reason. I can see that 2.5x would minimize the effects of being light 3-bet in aggro 6max games.Ferguson wrote about varying raise sizes like 18 years ago...I doubt anything he said back then applies to today's poker climate.

stoopid is the nuts so he has to have a good reason. I can see that 2.5x would minimize the effects of being light 3-bet in aggro 6max games.Ferguson wrote about varying raise sizes like 18 years ago...I doubt anything he said back then applies to today's poker climate.
Now he's angrychris-ferguson.jpgGrrrr

I certainly don't reccommend raising 2.5x at the micros. But at my limits and the wide range of hands I raise from the CO and button, raising 2.5x allows me to lose less when getting 3bet light, and allows for more post flop play since the stack to pot ratio is greater. If someone in the blinds is a mega fish that is calling pre a ton and then check-folding most flops, my raise size is certainly gonna increase pre.

what about betting 2.5x with the hope of being reraised.. Say you are UTG with AA/KK, you raise 2.5x knowing or hoping someone will reraise then you can 4bet... Would that make the 2.5x raise viable?Kosin Trouble
feral_cow_icon.gifbeware the feral cow packs. they hunger.Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02 - 9 playersButton: $1.72 SB: $2.03 BB: $6.06 UTG: $0.64 UTG+1: $2.34 MP: $0.67 MP2: $2.12 HJ: $2.00 CO: $1.02 (Hero)Preflop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with :ts:club: (9 players)4 folds, HJ raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.18, 3 folds, HJ raises to $2, and is all in, Hero foldsHJ won $0.39(Rake: $0)

I think I would fold too, again its the penny tables, so the person that went all in is on KK or AA 90% of the time. But without HUD stats its hard to say...Would it have matttered if the AK was suited?Kosin Troubleand btw he is from Quebec... and they are only partially part of Canada :club:

UTG- 4xHJ- 3.5xCO- 3.5xBTN- 3xShould I rework this? Like 3.5x UTG and HJ and 3x CO and BTN?
This is backwards... if you're varying range sizes by position they should increase as your position improves. Also I tried a session out with the 3x as standard and honestly not much changes about the play. Imma keep up so I get a decent sample size at it, but my thinking is that since my red line is so high I'd prefer the 4x just bc since I win a majority of the pots postflop its an extra bet I'm taking in... Although there's obv something to be said about the difference not committing me as hard in later streets which is why I want a larger sample.
stoopid is the nuts so he has to have a good reason. I can see that 2.5x would minimize the effects of being light 3-bet in aggro 6max games.
Your choice of standard open size should be more of a reflection of what you want to do postflop rather than the odds you'll be laid or laying pre.
think I would fold too, again its the penny tables, so the person that went all in is on KK or AA 90% of the time. But without HUD stats its hard to say...Would it have matttered if the AK was suited?Kosin Troubleand btw he is from Quebec... and they are only partially part of Canada
sarcasm ? can't tell.when you're at the penny tables a pf shove is NOT kk+ 90% or even close to it. for one when you're holding ak it's less likely that someone's holding kk/aa because you're blocking them. it's more likely that you both have the same hand. second a player is capable of shoving way worse than kk+....at the least you have to include jj/qq and then throw in the oddball aq/aj/kq and it's an easy easy call.
I think I would fold too, again its the penny tables, so the person that went all in is on KK or AA 90% of the time. But without HUD stats its hard to say...Would it have matttered if the AK was suited?Kosin Troubleand btw he is from Quebec... and they are only partially part of Canada :club:
I voted No in 1995PS: Villain was something like 10/9 if not lower, but on a really short range of hands (below 20)PSS: I lied. I couldn't vote back in 95.
what about betting 2.5x with the hope of being reraised.. Say you are UTG with AA/KK, you raise 2.5x knowing or hoping someone will reraise then you can 4bet... Would that make the 2.5x raise viable?Kosin Trouble
Varying raise sizes by hand strength is incredibly bad. Also, when you open to a standard size all the time 99% of players won't repop based on the size of your open. So opening low in hopes of getting 4bet value is pretty terrible. The only reason I would ever choose a 2.5x open is if I liked to take a lot of pots to showdown and I small balled and such
sarcasm ? can't tell.when you're at the penny tables a pf shove is NOT kk+ 90% or even close to it. for one when you're holding ak it's less likely that someone's holding kk/aa because you're blocking them. it's more likely that you both have the same hand. second a player is capable of shoving way worse than kk+....at the least you have to include jj/qq and then throw in the oddball aq/aj/kq and it's an easy easy call.
Sorry let me take my thinking further...The person raised .02, so , it is a lets bet .02 and see if anyone folds or raises. If they raise I fold, if they call I keep betting .02 till they raise or fold.orit is a lets bet .02 because I am HUGE and if anyone raises I will go all in.Then again what you say is correct, I have folded Ak only to see two others on with 10's the other with AJ and the AJ wins.... That makes me cry.hmmm crap, the more I think as I am writing this my little voice is saying... you're an idiot, how many times have you seen all-ins when no one has AA/KK/AK, and sadly I am saying quite frequently... So yes you probably are correct, unless its one of the regular 11/5 nits it probably should be a call.Kosin Trouble
Varying raise sizes by hand strength is incredibly bad. Also, when you open to a standard size all the time 99% of players won't repop based on the size of your open. So opening low in hopes of getting 4bet value is pretty terrible. The only reason I would ever choose a 2.5x open is if I liked to take a lot of pots to showdown and I small balled and such
I think you just pointed out a big flaw for me then. i find with me that if its just a regular drawing hand I will open to 3-4bb depending on position. If I have a strong hand JJ+ i open at least 5bb. Now after I have been at a table for a bit I change it up, so I bet 5bb on a draw hand, bet 3bb on a JJ+ hand ect, but I do find myself going back to betting bigger with better hands... but would it be better to just raise 4bb standard accross the board so that they never know what I have?what I always worry about is that the bb will call my 3bb raise with a crap hand and usually gets 2pair or somethign to beat me. Should I not be worrying about that?Kosin Trouble