But I can't even go on TDPRI or anything anymore. Even people who can't play or even never tried a piece of gear just come by these opinions and feed into the hivemind, based on almost no actual info.
Guitar forums are completely intolerable. The worst I've ever seen is Acoustic Guitar Forum. I haven't been on there for a couple years, but it's basically a contest to see who can achieve the greatest disparity between actual musical talent and total number of dollars spent on an instrument (or collection of instruments), with the expected hierarchy of clerics and know-it-all's who invariably suck **** at logic about as bad as they do actual guitar playing. Sometimes, I think it's just the forum medium in general, though. They tend to be magnets for a certain type of talker/theorist type who isn't always big on actual "doing". In the guitar world, it leads to elaborate and highly specific narratives about instruments and gear and 'tone' coming from people who cannot play an actual guitar for shit, or if they can, certainly aren't as authoritative a musician as they are a gear-theorist. In the gun world, it's the same phenomenon, only about certain firearms and accessories being better or worse, all coming from Walter Mitties whose only practical experience with firearms is whatever they get at the target range once a month, plus the seven hours they spend discussing them online, every day. Forums are great for information, but just so fucking terrible for 'knowledge'.
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to cheaply* make a Meatloaf-style rock epic concept album, about Jeff Francoeur's abortion of a baseball career. If I had the pipes, you wouldn't be hearing about it (because I wound't want you to know who I am). My lack of legit singing talent has always held me back from ****ing as many people as I would ideally choose, but this is the first time it's stood in my way as an artist (because I'm normally bottlenecked by all my other talent deficiencies before it becomes a factor). It's hard to find talented people to work with at all, let alone someone with an incredible voice who is full of venom toward Jeff Francoeur, doesn't care about entertaining people, and doesn't mind spending a week in the spare bedroom that I call my "home studio" because it's where I keep my desktop. I finally know what it's like to have artistic vision limited by my own human imperfection. This is a really bad night.*amp modeling, sample piano, Lounge Lizard, a couple pad synths, drum machine, sm58.

I don't know much about the guy. Seems like a bit of an obscure guy to target as the subject of this sort of project. He isn't exactly deaf, dumb, and blind. But anyone who can wear a jersey with his own name misspelled without noticing might have some promise for ridicule.

I don't know much about the guy. Seems like a bit of an obscure guy to target as the subject of this sort of project. He isn't exactly deaf, dumb, and blind. But anyone who can wear a jersey with his own name misspelled without noticing might have some promise for ridicule.
He has been continuously starting in the majors since I was a child, and his career OPB is like .310. It's never been as high as .340. And he is not even a slugger; his slugging is like dead-on league average (and this year is under .330). He plays below replacement value. I don't cite dyslexia or his ferret-face **** wife, or his notorious bad attitude as reasons he should be a figure of pity or an avatar of failure, I cite his patience at the plate. I don't think you have to know or hate him to appreciate the beauty of this record. You don't have to be Jewish to love In the Aeroplane over the Sea, you don't have to be a scene kid to like Lifter Puller or Hold Steady. The moving thing about this powerful artistic statement is that it takes pain that only a few people in the world know -- people who grew up in the south, watch baseball, are full of spite, don't believe in "clutch" magic or "winners," and can do even middle school mathematics -- and it shares these powerful feelings with the world. I want some hippie slut in Portland to feel how I felt every time he was called "superman" because he hit an RBI, the next night after hitting into a double play to end a game, and while I'm sleeping with her I want her thinking about his incredible jawline and the success it alone earned him. I am thinking Michael Bolton's voice could be perfect for this project.
He has been continuously starting in the majors since I was a child, and his career OPB is like .310. It's never been as high as .340. And he is not even a slugger; his slugging is like dead-on league average (and this year is under .330). He plays below replacement value. I don't cite dyslexia or his ferret-face **** wife, or his notorious bad attitude as reasons he should be a figure of pity or an avatar of failure, I cite his patience at the plate. I don't think you have to know or hate him to appreciate the beauty of this record. You don't have to be Jewish to love In the Aeroplane over the Sea, you don't have to be a scene kid to like Lifter Puller or Hold Steady. The moving thing about this powerful artistic statement is that it takes pain that only a few people in the world know -- people who grew up in the south, watch baseball, are full of spite, don't believe in "clutch" magic or "winners," and can do even middle school mathematics -- and it shares these powerful feelings with the world. I want some hippie slut in Portland to feel how I felt every time he was called "superman" because he hit an RBI, the next night after hitting into a double play to end a game, and while I'm sleeping with her I want her thinking about his incredible jawline and the success it alone earned him. I am thinking Michael Bolton's voice could be perfect for this project.
Hope this helps...Every since I was a young boy, Francoeur played bad baseball.From Atlanta down to Texas,He never takes a Ball.We’ve all seen nothings like him, Except that chiseled jaw.That dumb dumb and dumb kid,Sure plays some bad baseball!He stands like a statue,Then hits into a 6-4-3.Missing all the curveballsHis Jersey just stays clean.He plays less than average,The OBP numbers fall.That dumb dumb and dumb kidSure plays some bad baseball!He's a baseball nitwitSomeone break his wrist.This baseball nitwitHas got me so damn pissed!

Update: so I have been sitting here, trying to make my drums sound airier (think "Burning Down the House"), and they are just progressively sounding shittier and shittier. And then it dawned on me: I am ****ing terrible at this. So, back to over-compression and guitar riffs I guess.

Update: so I have been sitting here, trying to make my drums sound airier (think "Burning Down the House"), and they are just progressively sounding shittier and shittier. And then it dawned on me: I am ****ing terrible at this.
lots of heavily EQ'd (high passed) reverb. on the actual drum sounds, low mids (400Hz) for body instead of lows
I played it today...it was OK. I'm glad people are mass-producing odd amps for good prices, but it's a bit shrill. I mean, you can get good tones out of it, and shrill can be cool, but it's not right for what I want. I guess what I was hoping for was a Tonemaster reproduction, for $299.
  • 2 weeks later...

I should preface this post by saying I know pretty much nothing about guitars, but I saw my Dad posted this on Facebook. Maybe it's a good deal, maybe it's not? If anyone is interested just let me knowKaKqawvy2-VMaYAZV7fK.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a line on some really good analog recording equipment. Essentially I could set up a complete analog studio for about 1/4th of what it would cost to purchase each component separately. I've been planning on setting up a studio with both analog and digital capabilities. I think I'm going to take a shot at this gear. Do any of you guys have experience in recording with analog gear and then doing a final mix down from 16 tracks to digital?

So.... is there a difference between guitars or not?
There are differences, but guitards might place 1000% increased emphasis on trivial details that may actually only be responsible for a 0.1% practical difference, in some cases, dead zero practical difference. Lots of "guitar players" are completely lost when it comes time to pick out a good instrument without a headstock to reference, then figuring out how others will judge them on that basis.There are also bullshit narratives these retards employ to justify their 'refined' views on things that really, are just classic self delusion- but mother****, what a profitable market of kooks it is! Somewhere along the way, there came this large group of low talent, high income dbags who associate their very self-worth with how much money they've spent on guitars (either individually or collectively).They're the ones who keep Ryan, Somogyi and Smallman in business.Not magical tone or supernatural capacities inherent to the instrument. Good, old fashioned Rolex ego. The difference is, a guy who buys a Rolex usually admits why, since there's no sane case to be made for it keeping 'superior time' to a $4 quartz watch. The cork-sniffers who spend $11,000k on their (fine Bosnian Spruce and Brazilian rosewood whatever) are often times hilariously lacking in actual guitar playing talent, but that's OK. Funny, but OK. The part that's annoying are the bullshit 'reasons' they cite to rationalize their purchase, as if it somehow gives them an 'advantage' when its abundantly clear that isn't true.

I agree. I mean to devote any real time debating Maple vs. Rosewood Fretboards is insane. If there is any difference at all it is wasted on 99.99% of players and listeners. That being said - I prefer Maple.Also, I think there is a tendency to focus on things that you can control. It is far easier to control your gear than talent, so many players obsess over silly details that have zero or next to zero effect on their final product. I can buy more gear - I can't buy talent. Finally the gear becomes a fashion statement rather than a way to express your art.

• 1 month later...

Everything is set up in my studio and completely functional. The board, tape machine, and effects all seem to work. I've been able to get noise through the entire chain and back out again. I am certain there are easier ways for me to accomplish what I am doing. For example, I have no clue of how to use the Patch Bay. But I did lay down some test tracks and play them back. Haven't tried any dubbing, punching, bouncing, nor mixing down. Still plenty to learn.The reel of tape that came with my equipment was bad. It suffers from what the Analog guys call "Sticky Shed". The tape disintegrates as it passes through the machine, shedding its coatings and leaving a sticky residue on the heads, guides, and rollers.I ordered about 3 miles of fresh tape and the first shipment just arrived. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

• 1 year later...

So I used to be a Martin fanboy but in the past year or so, have pretty much had a full transition to Westerly Guild D50's.

I realize Martins carry more brand-cachet and lore behind them but these old Guilds blew my ****ing mind. It's been a long, long time since I was outright 'impressed' by an instrument, especially considering the people selling them usually upmarket superstitious 'tone magic' bullshit that isn't true but these things, it's all true.

I'm guessing the fact that they weigh 90 pounds probably has something to do with it.

GuildD50NT.jpg

This is where it ends for me with acoustic instruments.

Protip: Fitting oversided bone brige pins is probably 4/5 in terms of difficulty. You have to be accustomed to removing hundredths at a time in an uncomfortable radial direction and must get it *exactly* right. When you're done, you have to number the pin shanks since they're fit to individual holes.