J.c. Alvarado Says Soccer > Poker

Honestly I don't understand why people make a huge deal about soccer. People kick a ball around and no one ever scores. It's insanely boring to watch on TV, maybe it's more exciting in person? I find the atmosphere of the Super Bowl or World Series to be something that would be more of "one of those things you just have to do once in your life" kind of thing.
could be more exciting because no one scores/more intense/close. It's also easier to watch soccer because there aren't commercials every 5 minutes.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I don't understand why people make a huge deal about soccer. People kick a ball around and no one ever scores. It's insanely boring to watch on TV, maybe it's more exciting in person? I find the atmosphere of the Super Bowl or World Series to be something that would be more of "one of those things you just have to do once in your life" kind of thing.
People could say, "why make a huge deal about Poker, its just a bunch of guys sitting around playing cards". Its all a matter of perspective. To use your examples, I really enjoy watching the NFL but the constant adverts are a major turnoff. I'm not such a big baseball fan but doesn't the fact that the World Series is over 7 games rather than 1 take away from the intensity? Every Sport has its own appeal and its an almost unique American thing to not "get" Football (I can't bring myself to use the word soccer).
THIS.
could be more exciting because no one scores/more intense/close. It's also easier to watch soccer because there aren't commercials every 5 minutes.
Hockey tho? Worldwide sport too. Miracle on ice, etc. Oh, and there's always hits going on, way more intense, scores are still low and blowouts are rare, field isn't oversized and a snoozefest. Not really any advertisements.To quote a good friend of mine: "The final score between a team of 3rd graders and the Brazil National Team would still only be 8-0 because of how long it takes to get the ball down the field.
Soccer's an intense game man. Tbh, until recently I really found American Football boring, cause I didnt get it. I was like "what the hell is happening, some guy gets the ball, throws to some other guy who subsequently gets owned. While that is happening every1 else owns each other. Wtf?,". But then I gave it a chance and actually learnt the rules and how it works. Now it's like one of my favourite sports to watch, I find it so interesting, like all the formations and strategys etc.Soccer is the same, it's all about strategy's, formation and teamwork. And people like it cause scoring a goal is so hard that when somebody pulls it off it's just so exhilerating to see how the move unfolded and everything, just like in Football, it's so cool to see how the QB works out the plays and how the team works together to hit the touch down and defend against it.You could say the same thing for golf, alot of people find golf boring but other people are just amazed with it. It's all about perspective.
gl NZ, hope you do as well as you did in the Confed Cup.
Ty, but NZ will get owned. Let's be honest.

Like someone else said good poker is interesting to us to watch because we appreciate the subtle strategy and moves which we realize are very difficult to do, soccer is the same way its a very strategical game and is awesomely intense. If you have'nt been to a big soccer game like a world cup qualifier or a world cup game you cant imagine how awesome the experience is with fans singing and drums etc. Its just awesome and the WC you get people from all over the world in the same place drinking and supporting their teams, it would be amazing.

lol @ comparing the most popular sport in the world to hockey.
why is this lol? we're comparing it to poker, golf, and other sports already.
Like someone else said good poker is interesting to us to watch because we appreciate the subtle strategy and moves which we realize are very difficult to do, soccer is the same way its a very strategical game and is awesomely intense. If you have'nt been to a big soccer game like a world cup qualifier or a world cup game you cant imagine how awesome the experience is with fans singing and drums etc. Its just awesome and the WC you get people from all over the world in the same place drinking and supporting their teams, it would be amazing.
The main thing I don't get about soccer is the insanity behind it which creates deadly riots. That's actually the main thing I think about when I think World Cup, is that almost every time there's a country that starts rioting and causing mega damage because of it. Only instances of this in American sports (that I am familiar with) is usually whenever the Lakers win a championship, because LA sucks (The city itself). No I don't care for soccer, but from what I've seen it's the sport which causes the most riots, injuries, and deaths of fans than anything else, and is why I boycott the WC. That and the sport is boring as hell due to both field size and fake injuries from people trying to draw penalties. I don't know, shorten the field and get rid of the dives, etc., and maybe you have something. I just don't view that game as exciting - at least not at the levels of hockey and basketball (which are both becoming international sports).Regardless of any views about the game itself, I don't view the resulting damages from some WC fans as positive, and I think the whole thing is totally blown out of proportion and ridiculous in terms of how the fans react to it. tl;dr cliffnotes: lurbz actually gives a damn about human lives for once
why is this lol? we're comparing it to poker, golf, and other sports already.The main thing I don't get about soccer is the insanity behind it which creates deadly riots. That's actually the main thing I think about when I think World Cup, is that almost every time there's a country that starts rioting and causing mega damage because of it. Only instances of this in American sports (that I am familiar with) is usually whenever the Lakers win a championship, because LA sucks (The city itself). No I don't care for soccer, but from what I've seen it's the sport which causes the most riots, injuries, and deaths of fans than anything else, and is why I boycott the WC. That and the sport is boring as hell due to both field size and fake injuries from people trying to draw penalties. I don't know, shorten the field and get rid of the dives, etc., and maybe you have something. I just don't view that game as exciting - at least not at the levels of hockey and basketball (which are both becoming international sports).Regardless of any views about the game itself, I don't view the resulting damages from some WC fans as positive, and I think the whole thing is totally blown out of proportion and ridiculous in terms of how the fans react to it. tl;dr cliffnotes: lurbz actually gives a damn about human lives for once
I was mainly loling at the fact that you said hockey was a worldwide sport also. Yes, it's played around the world but it's not really "popular" world wide to the extent soccer is.Which also makes you riots comment even more lol.Hm...from what you've seen, soccer is the sport which causes more riots, injures, and deaths of fans, more than anything else. Uh...maybe because there's billions of soccer fans, hence more incidents are likely to occur?
why is this lol? we're comparing it to poker, golf, and other sports already.The main thing I don't get about soccer is the insanity behind it which creates deadly riots. That's actually the main thing I think about when I think World Cup, is that almost every time there's a country that starts rioting and causing mega damage because of it. Only instances of this in American sports (that I am familiar with) is usually whenever the Lakers win a championship, because LA sucks (The city itself). No I don't care for soccer, but from what I've seen it's the sport which causes the most riots, injuries, and deaths of fans than anything else, and is why I boycott the WC. That and the sport is boring as hell due to both field size and fake injuries from people trying to draw penalties. I don't know, shorten the field and get rid of the dives, etc., and maybe you have something. I just don't view that game as exciting - at least not at the levels of hockey and basketball (which are both becoming international sports).Regardless of any views about the game itself, I don't view the resulting damages from some WC fans as positive, and I think the whole thing is totally blown out of proportion and ridiculous in terms of how the fans react to it. tl;dr cliffnotes: lurbz actually gives a damn about human lives for once
You're such a dork.

I think what you're saying about football related is violence based on an extremely small sample that you've been exposed to.The days of huge riots following England games around are well over. There are isolated incidents but as far as I'm aware it's a fairly safe game to follow for the most part. The only spots you'll run into trouble often are at particular games between two local teams.

why is this lol? we're comparing it to poker, golf, and other sports already.No I don't care for soccer, but from what I've seen it's the sport which causes the most riots, injuries, and deaths of fans than anything else, and is why I boycott the WC. That and the sport is boring as hell due to both field size and fake injuries from people trying to draw penalties. I don't know, shorten the field and get rid of the dives, etc., and maybe you have something. I just don't view that game as exciting - at least not at the levels of hockey and basketball (which are both becoming international sports).
I would say that is because its the most popular sport and therefore it is also the most politicized sport. There are groups of people who will attach themselves to football, not necessarily because of their love of the game but because it will draw attention to their cause. A case in point would be the hooligan groups in the UK.

Nowadays football has changed alot when it comes to violence etc. I kinda know alot about this and have seen alot of things happen. Talking about club football, the fighting etc still happens, anyone who thinks it doesnt is blinkered. However its organised and people that want nothing to do with it, like standard fans etc will never be caught up in the action as the two sets of fans will organise a place etc still and things will go their way. These people are obv tough individuals that live for the arenaline etc but 99% of them wouldn't touch an opposing fan that wants nothing to do with fighting etc and are just there to support their team. However i've not much experience with the international scene.I never used to get nfl either and now i've kinda gotten into it alot and enjoy it. 3 months ago i'd never have thought i'd like the game, let alone look forward to watching the games. Sometimes you gotta give things a chance and its just that you are not used to the sport or it is not in your culture. Were you born in a different country you'd probably feel so different about the sport.

I was mainly loling at the fact that you said hockey was a worldwide sport also. Yes, it's played around the world but it's not really "popular" world wide to the extent soccer is.Which also makes you riots comment even more lol.Hm...from what you've seen, soccer is the sport which causes more riots, injures, and deaths of fans, more than anything else. Uh...maybe because there's billions of soccer fans, hence more incidents are likely to occur?
You're an idiot.There's not only the NHL, but AHL, OHL, Junior Worlds, obv Olympics, KHL in Russia/Europe, Sweden and Scandanavia...it is worldwide and followed worldwide. You don't have fires and riots started that way, or teams being attacked. Reference to that: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/01/...ting/index.html
I think what you're saying about football related is violence based on an extremely small sample that you've been exposed to.The days of huge riots following England games around are well over. There are isolated incidents but as far as I'm aware it's a fairly safe game to follow for the most part. The only spots you'll run into trouble often are at particular games between two local teams.
I'm just making a statement of what I have seen, and compared it to other sports. Not saying it's unsafe to follow, saying that compared to others this stuff happens more.
Nowadays football has changed alot when it comes to violence etc. I kinda know alot about this and have seen alot of things happen. Talking about club football, the fighting etc still happens, anyone who thinks it doesnt is blinkered. However its organised and people that want nothing to do with it, like standard fans etc will never be caught up in the action as the two sets of fans will organise a place etc still and things will go their way. These people are obv tough individuals that live for the arenaline etc but 99% of them wouldn't touch an opposing fan that wants nothing to do with fighting etc and are just there to support their team. However i've not much experience with the international scene.I never used to get nfl either and now i've kinda gotten into it alot and enjoy it. 3 months ago i'd never have thought i'd like the game, let alone look forward to watching the games. Sometimes you gotta give things a chance and its just that you are not used to the sport or it is not in your culture. Were you born in a different country you'd probably feel so different about the sport.
I don't agree with this logic, but I do know what you're saying. I've been to soccer games (Chicago Fire), I did attempt to understand...I was bored by even the strategic discussion. Hell, I even played for 2 years as a kid (Netminder). I still don't understand the fascination with it.

Well I have no idea about violence in other sports anywhere in the world. I know other British team sports are almost completely peaceful (cricket, rugby). I've watched some NFL and I found it extremely boring. I think it was mostly because I had no idea what was going on. Maybe if I made an effort to understand the rules I would get more out of it but I'm kinda lazy about watching sport and it seems like too much hard work.Baseball and basketball I find similarly dull despite understanding the rules.As far as the rules of soccer it's so very simple to understand and watch. There are more advanced strategies if you really wanna get into it but it's not neccessary to casually watch and enjoy it, at least for me. That said I find club football fairly tedious and only really watch international games. The World Cup is something I really look forward to being on TV.edit - I'm not really a sports fan and don't understand die hard fans that much. The only thing that really gets me excited is England vs Australia at cricket.edit 2- I'm not really sure where this whole lots of riots thing is coming from. I haven't heard much about football related violence for years.

You're an idiot.There's not only the NHL, but AHL, OHL, Junior Worlds, obv Olympics, KHL in Russia/Europe, Sweden and Scandanavia...it is worldwide and followed worldwide. You don't have fires and riots started that way, or teams being attacked.
lol, yea the world consists of Europe and North America.
lol, yea the world consists of Europe and North America.
you're such a tool that words don't even begin to describe it. i could refute this (Russia is in Asia, buy a map) but you're a waste of air.welcome to my ignore list, you're entry #1! you even beat rose. congrats.
you're such a tool that words don't even begin to describe it. i could refute this (Russia is in Asia, buy a map) but you're a waste of air.welcome to my ignore list, you're entry #1! you even beat rose. congrats.
god. you're the tool. seriously. noone can have a debate when you contribute.
Hey, hold on now. :club: let's not say things we can't take back. but seriously, wow, way to get ****in agitated bro. i really had no clue what everyone's problem around here with you was, but I think I'm starting to catch on.But meh, w.e., I'll let you be.Keep thinking hockey is as popular worldwide as soccer, too.
Hey, hold on now. :club: let's not say things we can't take back. but seriously, wow, way to get ****in agitated bro. i really had no clue what everyone's problem around here with you was, but I think I'm starting to catch on.But meh, w.e., I'll let you be.Keep thinking hockey is as popular worldwide as soccer, too.
No, it's cause I was simply trying to understand the popular viewpoint of soccer and 100% of your posts were sarcasm with no real explanations. I wasn't trying to make a stand that soccer sucks, I was stating why I dislike it and trying to understand the reasons behind the violence.If there's a thread where I'm actually being an ass, sure, fine, go at me. I obv earn it, obv people have problems with my posts here, but there's nothing in this thread other than calling you an idiot once that really was me being an ass at all.Anyway...@Phil... http://myamazingfact.blogspot.com/2009/08/...ccer-riots.html http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/world/africa/21egypt.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world...i-1225798201083Just in first 2 pages of Google search for "soccer riots"

If there was a premiere league or World Cup like atmosphere in an American league I could see myself getting into soccer. MLS is not entertaining to watch and the players are not as good as they are in different countries. It doesn't help that a lot of the best Americans play in other countries also. But MLS sucks, and I only occasionally get a Premiere League game on TV, so all I can really look forward to is the World Cup every four years. The atmosphere is great, it is the best players, in my opinion it is hard not to watch.

Yea, there is no fighting in stands during American professional and college sports. Or even High School sports. Sure, there is no mass destruction of American towns after a local win or loss in a sporting event. Yes, soccer is the only sport that breeds violence and destruction everywhere in the world except for the USA, where sports fans are courteous and never resort to violence or destruction.I don't think I need google to point out that soccer is not the only sport in the world that has violent fans. I live in Detroit, I can point out a shit load of violent and destructive incidents in Michigan and college sports. Wasn't that long ago East Lansing was almost burnt to the ground thanks to "fans" of MSU basketball. Or the times the city was destroyed after Piston Championships.I could go on and on but I think my point is clear. You already brought up LA, I could add Denver to the mix. There are 10-15 sports related riots each year in the US and none of them deal with soccer.