A Bat In My House!

so the other day i found a bat flying in my house. it totally freaked me out! i managed to contain it in one room. right away im on the phone with the exterminator and he tells me there's really nothing he can do. he advised me to either whack it with a tennis racket or open the window and hope it flies out. they're more afraid of me than i am of them (ya right). anyways, decided to whack it with a tennis racket, bagged it and dumped it off at a plaza away from my area. released it on the ground the thing is still moving. decided to leave it in a box under a tree. it turns out it was a brown bat, but now my concern is whether or not i have more in the house somewhere.anyone experienced a bat in their house?

so the other day i found a bat flying in my house. it totally freaked me out! i managed to contain it in one room. right away im on the phone with the exterminator and he tells me there's really nothing he can do. he advised me to either whack it with a tennis racket or open the window and hope it flies out. they're more afraid of me than i am of them (ya right). anyways, decided to whack it with a tennis racket, bagged it and dumped it off at a plaza away from my area. released it on the ground the thing is still moving. decided to leave it in a box under a tree. it turns out it was a brown bat, but now my concern is whether or not i have more in the house somewhere.anyone experienced a bat in their house?
We've had a bat & a crow in our house at different times when I was growing up. They came down the chimney, there's a cage thing on top that prevents that now though. How do you think it got in? Maybe inspect your roof?

Been there.They are creepy things. The way they fly completely silently - like a dream.On the plus side: they eat a ton of bugs. On the minus side: they can carry rabies.We had a couple living in our house I didn't have the heart to kill the eerie bastards. I kept catching them and letting them go outside. They were likley back in the house before I was. Eventually they just moved out.

We've had a bat & a crow in our house at different times when I was growing up. They came down the chimney, there's a cage thing on top that prevents that now though. How do you think it got in? Maybe inspect your roof?
not sure how they got in the house. according to the exterminator, its very unlikely that there was only one. they are either up in the roof or in between the walls. they also might be in hibernating in the air vents and when there's a temperature change, they tend to move to another location within the vents. probably one got lost within the vents and ended up in my house. they only need like a half inch crevice/hole to get out. he said even if i go up in the roof, i probably won't see them.
not sure how they got in the house. according to the exterminator, its very unlikely that there was only one. they are either up in the roof or in between the walls. they also might be in hibernating in the air vents and when there's a temperature change, they tend to move to another location within the vents. probably one got lost within the vents and ended up in my house. they only need like a half inch crevice/hole to get out. he said even if i go up in the roof, i probably won't see them.
A door just may have been left open for 30seconds, that's often all it takes. We were watching a horror movie (Event Horizon) in the 90s at my buddies house at 11pm when suddenly a bat was flying all around us. Freaked the living crap out of me.
black-sheep-farley.jpg
Funny that you post this picture. I had a bat in the house one night and as it flew through the house I flipped on the light switch in our dining room which is also a ceiling fan. When the fan came on the bat just started flying in a circle in the same direction of the ceiling fan blades. I went and got a broom and smacked the bat with the broom out of mid air. Easy as pie. :club:
  • 2 weeks later...

No bats, but I do have trouble with mice from time to time. At first, I tried one of those catch and release traps (I'm not really into killing things, except to eat them), but never caught one. So I resorted to being a mouse killer.Lately, I've had two of them in the house - One in the kitchen, and one in my bedroom. Yesterday, I set out several glue traps. I caught the kitchen varmit last night. Took him outside and put him out of his misery with a concrete block smashing.Ironically, as I was reading this thread a little while ago, the bedroom one made his appearance. As if mocking me, he ran up to the glue trap, sniffed it, and ran around it.I decided up the ante, and went and got one of Santa's Christmas presents to my daughter - a daisy BB gun. I sat in my bed, quietly stalking my prey. A few minutes later, the little pest came out of my bathroom, seemingly mocking me. I took dead aim, and blammo! Now I've got to clean the blood off the baseboard.I loaded him into a box and took him outside and dumped him in the backyard. My neighboor was in his backyard, so we did the customary wave and hello thing (I've never even talked to the guy). He watched as I went and got the bb gun and tried, several times, to finish off the mouse execution style. The mouse was still twitching, so I resorted to the concrete block. Only, the mouse was in the damp, soft, backyard, so it took several blows to finish the job.Finally finished, I turned, gave another friendly wave to the neighboor, and walked back inside.

Speaking of mice...I have these vases at my shop for these centerpieces:Lamps%20with%20Orchids%20VIP%203.JPGWe have about 80 of these, and the glass vases are all in tall cardboard boxes. We taped together 4 boxes to make them stable and easier for delivery.So we have about 20 of these groups of boxes in a small room in the warehouse.Mice got into them by chewing into the bottom of the boxes.Then they climbed up the sides of the boxes..and fell down into the 30" tall glass vases, where they died of starvation and stupidity.We had a big job that needed 40 of these a few weeks ago and when I brought them out I found about 15 dead mice, sometimes two to a vase.They stuck to the bottom, and there was a film about 8 inches up the sides of the glass from when their little souls got trapped by the glass.It took a lot of Clorox to clean the vases, and the smell soaked into the cardboard.I hope it doesn't transfer to the centerpieces.And Sandwedge... you should have stiched up your head injury with black yarn.It would have really freaked out your neighbor if you had the Frankenstein look going for you during your recent..activities.

Lol, BG and Q.And yes, after posting earlier, I managed to step on one of the glue traps. Good News! -- Humans are strong enough to escape the stickiness! However, the glue sticks to you.So, after hopping on one foot through the house to find the box, I found that you need mineral oil or vegetable oil to remove it. I'm neither a painter nor a chef, so I had to think outside the box. Luckily, I had family visit over Christmas, so I had bought some things for the fridge. Country Crock Shredd's Spread for the win.Just another day at the Wedge house.

Glue traps are inhumane. Just saying. Use something that's less torturous.
suggestions?As I said, I tried a catch and release trap, but for it to work, it would actually have to catch the mouse first. A spring loaded trap would probably lead to me having a bruised finger or toe.
suggestions?As I said, I tried a catch and release trap, but for it to work, it would actually have to catch the mouse first. A spring loaded trap would probably lead to me having a bruised finger or toe.
Use the spring loaded trap, they're incredibly easy to set. Or the BB gun...at least it's sporting. Seriously, those glue traps are awful.