Unintelligent Design

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when bloggy type websites put each paragraph on a separate page! This is a nice list though. The organs are: 10. Wings on flightless birds9. Hind leg bones on whales8. Eretor pili and body hair7. Human tailbone (coccyx)6. Eyes on the blind fish Astyanax Mexicanus5. Wisdom teeth in humans4. The sexual organs of dandelions3. Fake sex in virgin whiptail lizards (vestigial behavior)2. Male breast tissue and nipples1. Human AppendixBut of course we cannot forget the grandaddy of them all: The cerebral cortex in religious humans!*rimshot*

http://www.livescience.com/animals/top10_v...ial_organs.htmlThe list is like a top ten of leftover features that animals no longer need due to evolution. Though if the creationist are correct it could be labeled the top ten features of un-intelligent design. I was surprised the nose didn't make though.
Why cant intelligent design include evolution?
Because then its not "intelligent design"... its just evolution.
So a God couldnt have overseen evolution? The way I see it would be like If I plant a seed, and feed and water it, I made the Rose. Imay not have directly caused the mechanism of growth, but I still made it happen.
So a God couldnt have overseen evolution?
If you want to say that God created the universe and the laws therein, and energy and everything else, fine. But evolution happens on its own. So sure, you can say that God pushed the Go button, but saying that adds nothing to our understanding of the process of evolution. It is a natural process; saying that God created nature is neither provable nor testable nor refutable, and therefore has no bearing on our understanding of biology, anthropology, etc etc. It's a completely different conversation. "Intelligent design" says that the astounding complexity of our observed existence necessitates a higher power, because it's too complex to come about on its own. This is anti-scientific because it is subjective and un-testable, and barely even pretends to be otherwise.
Why cant intelligent design include evolution?
So a God couldnt have overseen evolution?
You know these are two different questions right? The first question is absurd, and the OP itself explains why. The second question is more reasonable at least, in the way that the possibility of Russell's teapot is reasonable.Edit: It looks like my answer is a little late, as wakefield's response is really similar to mine, though longer and more articulate.
Evolution of some sort did happen, I just cant believe it did it without some sort of urging on.And wats absurd about evolution being part of an intelligent design.
Sure, it's your religious right to argue that evolution was created by God. But I think you're getting confused about what intelligent design is. If you're going to argue that evolution could be a part of intelligent design, then you're not working with "intelligent design" anymore. Again the OP is a reason in itself why evolution isn't compatible with intelligent design. They are two different things. That doesn't mean "God" couldn't be involved in evolution. But intelligent design can't be.

For some reason I feel like playing devil's advocate with this one. It's kind of difficult though. Uh...god is testing us? One day those things will all be needed, we just don't know it yet?Wait! I've got it. Something sabout "microevolution" existing but "macroevolution" being a myth based on bad science!Suck on that!

For some reason I feel like playing devil's advocate with this one. It's kind of difficult though. Uh...god is testing us? One day those things will all be needed, we just don't know it yet?Wait! I've got it. Something sabout "microevolution" existing but "macroevolution" being a myth based on bad science!Suck on that!
You did a terrible job.
And wats absurd about evolution being part of an intelligent design.
That just isn't what intelligent design postulates. It's an alternative 'explanation" for how complexity in biology arose. There's nothing necessarily incompatible about believing in some kind of creator and evolution; that just isn't what ID is.

You know the human 'tailbone' wasn't previously a tail don't you?But feel free to cut yours out if your sure it's not necessary.Or do you guys thing it might be kind of useful?You know to hold your tendons, ligaments and muscles?Of course not, it's called a tailbone, and we don't have tails, it is completely useless.You guys are so smart

This list is very funny though.I mean funny that you guys think this somehow is a positive for your side.Of course you guys have that map of evolution to show us that these flightless birds used to fly...or that they will fly in the future?Wait...was this a joke, trying to get me to get scared?I have another one, our ring finger. We got one finger too many on each hand...as proven by cartoonist everywhere who only give us 4 fingers total per hand.

Evolution of some sort did happen, I just cant believe it did it without some sort of urging on.And wats absurd about evolution being part of an intelligent design.
It would be because if my nose was intelligently designed they did a piss poor job of it juding by the way the it's running over my upper lip. It was surely a much better design when we walked on all fours and it faced backwards.
I hate it when bloggy type websites put each paragraph on a separate page! This is a nice list though. The organs are: 10. Wings on flightless birds9. Hind leg bones on whales8. Eretor pili and body hair7. Human tailbone (coccyx)6. Eyes on the blind fish Astyanax Mexicanus4. Wisdom teeth in humans3. The sexual organs of dandelions2. Fake sex in virgin whiptail lizards (vestigial behavior)1. Male breast tissue and nipplesBut of course we cannot forget the grandaddy of them all: The cerebral cortex in religious humans!*rimshot*
Thanks for the re-cap.
You know the human 'tailbone' wasn't previously a tail don't you?
Actually, it was. The human tail is also present early in development as a remnant of our previous form, and every so often a person is born with this little tail still intact. Which is gross. So, it was previously a tail in each person, and in the course of our history as well. Ever hear the phrase "ontology recapitulates phylogeny".? The course of development mirrors the course of evolution.
But feel free to cut yours out if your sure it's not necessary.Or do you guys thing it might be kind of useful?You know to hold your tendons, ligaments and muscles?Of course not, it's called a tailbone, and we don't have tails, it is completely useless.
It's not useless. But it previously had a different use.
Actually, it was. The human tail is also present early in development as a remnant of our previous form, and every so often a person is born with this little tail still intact. Which is gross. So, it was previously a tail in each person, and in the course of our history as well. Ever hear the phrase "ontology recapitulates phylogeny".? The course of development mirrors the course of evolution. It's not useless. But it previously had a different use.
This would be a speculation. You have no examples of humans with tails, (other than random freaks of nature ) you have primates and a theory that we are cousins on the evolution tree.The fact that without the tail bone we would have serious issues with muscles, ligaments and tendons not having a place to connect to shows that this is a purposeful and necessary part of the human anatomy.I think it's because it is nick-named 'tail-bone' that so many of you guys are fooled.That and you are blinded by your denial of God.
This would be a speculation. You have no examples of humans with tails, (other than random freaks of nature ) you have primates and a fact that we are cousins on the evolution tree thanks to dna comparisons.
FYPThere have been 23 elephant-like animals in history, and yet only two survive today (and we add, they’re not doing very well). Clearly, this is the mark of an all-powerful creator who is stuck on the same stupid idea and can’t figure out why the hell they keep dying off. Hmm, perhaps it’s because giant, big-eared mammals with huge, prehensile noses are ridiculous? I mean, WTF? A giant, powerful, grasping nose? It looks like something a preschooler would make up.
FYPThere have been 23 elephant-like animals in history, and yet only two survive today (and we add, they’re not doing very well). Clearly, this is the mark of an all-powerful creator who is stuck on the same stupid idea and can’t figure out why the hell they keep dying off. Hmm, perhaps it’s because giant, big-eared mammals with huge, prehensile noses are ridiculous? I mean, WTF? A giant, powerful, grasping nose? It looks like something a preschooler would make up.
I don't see your point.You are saying there is no way God would make something that looks like an elephant because it's got a big nose?And you are saying that since many species of elephants have died off this means God couldn't have made them?You do understand that the fall of man brought change to God's original plan and as such things die now?
It would be because if my nose was intelligently designed they did a piss poor job of it juding by the way the it's running over my upper lip. It was surely a much better design when we walked on all fours and it faced backwards.
This is why God in his wisdom evolved plastic surgeons. Also if you are using poor designs to debunk a creator, the earth itself is one big botched job.