Leno Back To 11:30, Conan To Unemployment Line.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personallly, I pine more for the golden age of letterman in the 80's. When Comedy central first came on the air, they would show old 80's letterman shows that would just SLAY me. He was so good back then, he's a shell of that now.
"It's just plain big."

Conan has been royally trashing NBC the last 2 nights, hope he keeps it up. I'm suprised NBC is letting him go on like this.I get that Conan got screwed, but doesn't he owe just a little bit of thanks to NBC? They could have cancelled him when he started out with the 12:30 show and didn't have great ratings.

They could have cancelled him when he started out with the 12:30 show and didn't have great ratings.
Instead, they let him keep going and it turned into an extremely popular show, considering it was on at 12:35 AM. He's made NBC lots of money. Lots. The whole thing is pretty fucked up. Basically, this is the situation as best as I can figure it:2004: - NBC promises The Tonight Show to CoCo, starting in 2009. CoCo agrees. - I'm not sure what NBC's deal with Jay is, other than that 2009 is obviously when his contract would be ending. In other words, I dunno if he had expressed a desire to retire, or if they just pulled the rug out from under him.2009: - Conan gets his show. - Leno is upset about losing The Tonight Show, which he feels should have been his until he was ready to say goodbye. He wasn't (ready to say goodbye). NBC placates him by giving him a nightly show at 10:00 PM. 2010:- Both shows are doing terribly in the ratings. Leno, because he's only entertaining to people who are quite literally half-asleep (old people at midnight), and the primetime crowd that likes to watch ER and Law & Order is not buying his ridiculous, unfunny variety hour. Conan's show is also losing badly to Letterman. Conan's defense is that he has no lead-in because primetime has become The Terrible Jay Leno Show every night, and that he's only had the job for 6 months and everybody's ratings suck for the first 6 months. - NBC gives Leno back his old time slot, though they offer to let Conan start his "Tonight Show" at 12:05, rather than go all the way back to 12:35. I agree with Conan, and don't see how you can really argue otherwise, that the Tonight Show isn't the Tonight Show if it isn't on right after the news. If Leno was on at 11:30 and CoCo was on at 12:05, it would be basically the same as it was before Conan got the Tonight Show. Leno would only have time for 1 guest, and would have to decide between doing his headlines or his extended monologue on any given night, but he would still be first. NBC pretending that this wasn't exactly the same as ending Conan's run as host of the Tonight Show is insulting, both to Conan I'm sure, and in general to rational people.- Result: Conan quits, and Leno re-takes The Tonight Show, which is now followed by Jimmy Fallon. NBC latenight used to be good at 12:35 (Conan). Then it got good at 11:35 (Conan). Then they destroyed the only thing that was gonna keep them from getting completely stale in the coming years. Nice job, idiots.Word is that Conan will not be doing any shows after next week, by his own accord.
Conan has been royally trashing NBC the last 2 nights, hope he keeps it up. I'm suprised NBC is letting him go on like this.I get that Conan got screwed, but doesn't he owe just a little bit of thanks to NBC? They could have cancelled him when he started out with the 12:30 show and didn't have great ratings.
Gosh, he's just trying to protect the franchise. How can you not respect the hell out of that?
Gosh, he's just trying to protect the franchise. How can you not respect the hell out of that?
I actually do respect him a lot for the way he has handled things, just was playing devils advocate.
I actually do respect him a lot for the way he has handled things, just was playing devils advocate.
I agree. I respect Conan for what he is doing, but the fact is they are trying to slice up a target audience of younger viewers with too many choices.I never thought Leno was all that good of a replacement, but he had a level of maturity that lent itslf to grabbing the entire mature audience, while bringing in the younger more sophisticated crowd.Conan is not going to hold the older crowd, his humor is more for the younger viewers.It's the entire demographic of older mature viewers who have been ignored through all this.They didn't want to watch Leno at 10, they watch the news. They don't like Conan..he's too goofy. And Letterman is too hit or miss.Of course any opinion about the realities of late night are better than the ones the NBC idiots are using. They will give themselves a bonus for completely screwing up a show that was around before they were born.
I never thought Leno was all that good of a replacement, but he had a level of maturity that lent itslf to grabbing the entire mature audience, while bringing in the younger more sophisticated crowd.Conan is not going to hold the older crowd, his humor is more for the younger viewers.
I would argue that Conan is way more mature and intelligent a person than Leno. Sometimes, however, he does jokes where bears masturbate.
I would argue that Conan is way more mature and intelligent a person than Leno. Sometimes, however, he does jokes where bears masturbate.
Or where ostriches lay an egg complete with mucus at eye level.I'm not saying that Conan isn't funny, just not funny for the entire audience. In my opinion the Tonight Show is about the older crowd, Letterman was for the college crowd, and the rest were for the edgy 20 something/teenage crowd.Trying to combine those audiences is the mistake.That and letting Andy Richter back
That and letting Andy Richter back
If Richter was kicked off the show I'd probably go from never watching (except for highlights when something particularly funny happened and was brought to my attention) to watching once or twice a week. I just can't stand it any time Richter opens his mouth.
If Richter was kicked off the show I'd probably go from never watching (except for highlights when something particularly funny happened and was brought to my attention) to watching once or twice a week. I just can't stand it any time Richter opens his mouth.
I Know.. he used to be so good, too. Why did he decide this effeminate, little boy voice/persona thing that he does would be a good idea?
I Know.. he used to be so good, too. Why did he decide this effeminate, little boy voice/persona thing that he does would be a good idea?
Maybe it worked for him on one of his failed tv shows.More than anything I hate "loud Richter". Stop interrupting! Be the straight man, not the obnoxious guy that can't wait to throw in his own jokes.
No what else was bad?Letterman in Cabin BoyMan he sucked in the movie
You wanna buy a monkey?
As compared to the rest of the movie...
If you put a child in the middle of a playground filled with ugly children, and someone points to your child and says: Whoa, that kid is ugly"Then you have an incident that requires you to acknowledge the level of ugliness in your own child.
If you put a child in the middle of a playground filled with ugly children, and someone points to your child and says: Whoa, that kid is ugly"Then you have an incident that requires you to acknowledge the level of ugliness in your own child.
loooool
Who watches TV live anymore (aside from sports)?
I don't watch sports live either. I watched both games on Sunday on a 2 hour delay.
But then don't you feel weird when you're yelling at the TV?
Don't you hate it when there's a joke that's so good that you want to be a part of it in some way by responding to it. But when you try to think of a funny response to the joke, you just end up restating the joke or pointing out in an obvious way why the joke is funny...For instance, I wanted to respond with "Yeah, when you don't watch it live, they can't hear you."I hate that.