Bigd's Top 20 Movies Of The Decade

No really, there isn't a story. It's just a chase. And some violence.
Incorrect.
Duel
Dammit. I just went on IMDB to find the name of that early Spielberg movie only to find that the title was "Duel" and you already mentioned it immediately. Also, Death Proof.I didn't really like Zoolander that much because I don't really like Ben Stiller.
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No really, there isn't a story. It's just a chase. And some violence.I guess I can make a new list. Most violent chase masquerading as a movie: No Country For Old Men
There is a story, one that requires you to think.You see, in the old days, the profession of law enforcement was largely non-violent ( if you exclude things like Jack the Ripper, the Lindbergh kidnapping, most of the famous cowboy outlaws who killed many etc.)But now because of drugs, the business of law enforcement is much harder, much more violent. In fact the violence is so prevalent that we are becoming desensitized to it.This journey of going from law enforcement being a friendly Barney Fife to a cold blooded Dirty Harry is the story.Along with a nobody who gets more than he bargained for when he tries to rip off a Mexican drug cartel.He gets into trouble because he has too much of a heart and must return and give a guy water, who only three hours earlier he could give a crap about.Then the main character, Sugher or something, lives by a code, one that drives him, makes him follow it to whatever destination he must go because of it. He is a driven to honor this code no matter what, no matter how stupid he must be to follow it, even to the point of having to kill Brolin's wife because he said he would do it. Of course he also said he would go get the money for his employer, but he was quick to turn against his word and kill his 'partners' to get all the money for himself.Oh and a hunter can't get a pronghorn...Have you ever driven through Northern Utah? I can get 50 pronghorns without leaving my car.
There is a story, one that requires you to think.You see, in the old days, the profession of law enforcement was largely non-violent ( if you exclude things like Jack the Ripper, the Lindbergh kidnapping, most of the famous cowboy outlaws who killed many etc.)But now because of drugs, the business of law enforcement is much harder, much more violent. In fact the violence is so prevalent that we are becoming desensitized to it.This journey of going from law enforcement being a friendly Barney Fife to a cold blooded Dirty Harry is the story.
That is the setting, not the story. This change does not happen within the events of the movie.
Along with a nobody who gets more than he bargained for when he tries to rip off a Mexican drug cartel.He gets into trouble because he has too much of a heart and must return and give a guy water, who only three hours earlier he could give a crap about.
Those are the only two story events in the film. Which is why your summary had to end here. The only choices the character makes: 1. steal the money, 2. go back to give water. After that, he is just running for his life with the money.
Then the main character, Sugher or something, lives by a code, one that drives him, makes him follow it to whatever destination he must go because of it. He is a driven to honor this code no matter what, no matter how stupid he must be to follow it, even to the point of having to kill Brolin's wife because he said he would do it. Of course he also said he would go get the money for his employer, but he was quick to turn against his word and kill his 'partners' to get all the money for himself.
The presence of a one-dimensional character also does not constitute story.
The only choices the character makes: 1. steal the money, 2. go back to give water. After that, he is just running for his life with the money.
In this movie, the lack of "choices" that the characters have is intimately linked to the themes of the film
The presence of a one-dimensional character also does not constitute story.
He is hardly what I would call a "character." Unless you were also angry that the Alien from Alien wasn't enough of a character, or that Jaws didn't show enough emotion.
In this movie, the lack of "choices" that the characters have is intimately linked to the themes of the film
I agree with this. This has a lot to do with why there is no story.
He is hardly what I would call a "character."
I also agree with this. I almost came up with another term when writing my post, but didn't put the effort in.
I think the issue is that you're failing to see what this movie is. It's a horror movie. It's not presented as such, but at it's essence, it's a horror movie. That's what you're trying to say with your posts. It's not a drama.
I think the issue is that you're failing to see what this movie is. It's a horror movie. It's not presented as such, but at it's essence, it's a horror movie. That's what you're trying to say with your posts. It's not a drama.
I also agree with this. (Note that this is less fun when I agree with the responses). I have close to zero appreciation of the horror genre, which is likely why this movie doesn't do much for me.
Another 1999 movie!But I'm going to need somebody else to second this motion before it passes.
If he is recommending it for you to see a really terrible movie, then I second that. But watching William H Macy as "The Shoveler" may be worth it.
If he is recommending it for you to see a really terrible movie, then I second that. But watching William H Macy as "The Shoveler" may be worth it.
FURIOUS So, let me get this straight. You have the power to become invisible. INVISIBLE BOY Yes. RAJA But... only when no one is looking. INVISIBLE BOY Yes. FURIOUS If someone looks at you, you immediately become visible again. INVISIBLE BOY Yes. RAJA So you're only invisible... to yourself? INVISIBLE BOY No. OUR HEROES (hopefully) No? INVISIBLE BOY If I look at myseif, I become visible. RAJA So you're only invisible, when abuolutely no one is looking at you? INVISIBLE BOY Yes. FURIOUS So how do you know that you've ever been invisible? INVISIBLE BOY I just know.
Zoolander is one of those movies that has a lot of hilarious moments and gets funnier the more you watch it, but most people just can't bring themselves to declare openly their love for it.
I like zoolander, but mystery men sucked.
Another 1999 movie!But I'm going to need somebody else to second this motion before it passes.

Must be just me cause I didn't care for Eternal Sunshine and Shaun of The Dead.I'm impressed by the Asian content here though. If you guys are fans then you definitely need to watch Ip Man and Red Cliff parts 1 and 2 (don't watch the single film north american version). don't really have a list. Memento was definitely one of my best surprises for sure. and Snatch is one of my most rewatchable flicks.

Wait. Are you saying that George Clooney is no good? I'm getting even more confused with you vb.Michael Clayton was a fantastic film, another that my mind accidentally misplaced as I was making my list. Maybe I need to just start over and make a new one.

Wait. Are you saying that George Clooney is no good? I'm getting even more confused with you vb.Michael Clayton was a fantastic film, another that my mind accidentally misplaced as I was making my list. Maybe I need to just start over and make a new one.
I like Clooney. But two of Clooney's worst movies were Coen Brothers movies. Two of the worst Coen Brothers movies had Clooney in them. And I am not a big fan of Michael Clayton. Is it even a movie you'd see more than once?
I like Clooney. But two of Clooney's worst movies were Coen Brothers movies. Two of the worst Coen Brothers movies had Clooney in them. And I am not a big fan of Michael Clayton. Is it even a movie you'd see more than once?
I've seen it 4 times or so, and I quite enjoy it.
ok, to put an end to your trolling...you missed the point of no country for old men. its point is essentially one of its lines: "you cant stop whats coming"there was a story. it involved chases and violence and other stuff. it was all brought about by the choices of the hunter guy early in the movie, and the point was that once he set things in motion, try as he may, he couldnt stop what was coming, it was hopeless. this has been explained to you. let me point out that chigur also gives him the option to turn himself in to save his wife and he decides not to. theres another choice. saying there is no story is just being trollish.cormac mcarthy is basically saying people are enslaved to hopeless determinism, you might even say RUTHLESS DETERMINISM. in other words: dont blame me for punching you twice in the neck.
You're wrong about the Coen's Clooney movies. Both are spectacular.Also, I've seen Michael Clayton at least 5 times, but it could be as high as 7. Tom Wilkinson is so good in that movie, it's scary. Clooney: also amazing.
You're wrong about the Coen's Clooney movies. Both are spectacular.Also, I've seen Michael Clayton at least 5 times, but it could be as high as 7. Tom Wilkinson is so good in that movie, it's scary. Clooney: also amazing.
Wow..you're so....right about Clooney. I liked Michael Clayton and both Coen Movies. He was also good in the Ocean movies. I'm sure I'll like Up in the Air when I get around to that one. Then again, we both like Terminator and Survivor so a conservative and liberal can find common ground. Kum Ba Yah Time.