Bigd's Top 20 Movies Of The Decade

I'm very jealous about this thread. When I was young and childless I used to see about 50 movies per year. I'm not sure I've seen 50 in the last decade, so making a top 20 list for me would be a bit silly. I do have to say, of the ones I've seen that are on people's lists, excellent choices. I've only seen a couple on the list that I don't think belong there. Sideways is one of them. I thought it was good, but the two main characters are such despicable people (in a sad, not an entertaining, way) that I couldn't quite buy off on it. I'd give it a middle of the road rating.Adaptation and No Country for Old Men were two of my favorite movies of all time, so they definitely would've made the list. Adaptation is probably in my top 5 of all time.EDIT: Also, I would not put LOTR on there. While they have spectacular visuals, I spent the whole series feeling like I was taking a test that I hadn't studied for. "What, Gandor wants to go to Xaxalf to fight the Kaliwacks for control of Marafalaka? Dammit, I knew I should've read the book instead of just waiting for the movie!"

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of making the audience feel uncomfortable, may suggestIn the Company of MenCapturing the FriedmansThe WrestlerSorrow and the PityTo generate real feelings of audience discomfort, it helps to see these in a movie theater, at least 1/3 full.
You forgot the Royal Tennenbaums
In terms of making the audience feel uncomfortable, may suggestIn the Company of MenCapturing the FriedmansThe WrestlerSorrow and the PityTo generate real feelings of audience discomfort, it helps to see these in a movie theater, at least 1/3 full.
Again, it's not so much the uncomfortableness that is unusual, but how the reaction of the crowd dovetails with the themes of the movie. I've seen In the Company of men and the wrestler. ITCOM would have been in consideration, had it been made in the decade, actually. I really love that movie. I saw that movie, happiness and requiem for a dream all right in a row, and I thought to myself "what the **** is going on with movie makers lately" RE: LotR. It's an excellent spectacle movie, and I imagine if I'd have been a when it came out, I would have loved it the way I loved the star wars trilogy. As a kid, I loved the LotR books. But i'm not as big of fantasy guy these days, and while LOTR was fun, and beautifully shot, it's not really in consideration for me for the top 20 list. It was fun, but it didn't elevate me, as ebert would say.
Sideways is one of them. I thought it was good, but the two main characters are such despicable people (in a sad, not an entertaining, way) that I couldn't quite buy off on it. I'd give it a middle of the road rating.
I hit my head really hard a few days ago, so hard that I was knocked unconscious for a time. Since that incident, strange things have been catching my attention, holding my attention, and dominating my life for an uncomfortable period of time. This phrase will ruin my life for 3 hours.

Ok here is my top (22) It's not 20 because I can't think of who to remove. No particular order and instead of picking specific movies I picked series (e.g. LOTR, Bourne, etc.)Also, I just want to emphasize what Big D said about 1999, two movies that I wanted to put on this list (Red Violin & Mumford) were also in 1999.Pans LabyrinthMementoBourne SeriesLOTRThere will be bloodBatman Begins & Dark KnightLife Aquatic with Steve Zissou NCFOMAmelieOld SchoolO' Brother Where Art ThoughFinding NemoGladiatorKill Bill(s)Shaun of the DeadWall-ESnatchHeroCrouching Tiger Hidden DragonWedding CrashersBeing John Malcovich28 Days Later

ITCOM and Sorrow are both great because the films end up holding a mirror to the audience, and let them see their repulsive behavior. IMO they have more to say about how cruel humanity can be.I feel for Neil LaBute, I think his next film is a genre movie, strictly director for hire. I met Chris Rock years ago, and told him how much I enjoyed Nurse Betty, he was gracious, but he also kind of whispered and repeated my comment, as though he was translating it from a foreign language.Also, since I only have 17 movies on my list, I'd like to add The Pledge. Again, I saw it n the theater. It has an unrelenting moral ambiguity, and an unexectedly beautiful scene featuring wild turkies.

Can we do a top 20 lightweight/guilty pleasure/"fun" movies of the decade?What's the criteria?Well, movies that entertained you, even if they weren't necessarily "significant" or "smart" or even "well done."I guess if you want to do that, nobody's going to stop you.Ok, I think this is my list (in alphabetical order):3:10 to Yuma8 MileAvatarBurn After ReadingChicagoElfForgetting Sarah MarshallIron ManLove ActuallyMiracleOcean’s ElevenOnce Upon a Time in MexicoPirates of the CaribbeanRevenge of the SithSin CitySky Captain and the World of TomorrowThe Bourne UltimatumThe DepartedWatchmenWedding Crashers

Can we do a top 20 lightweight/guilty pleasure/"fun" movies of the decade?What's the criteria?Well, movies that entertained you, even if they weren't necessarily "significant" or "smart" or even "well done."I guess if you want to do that, nobody's going to stop you.Ok, I think this is my list (in alphabetical order):
Oh I can do that! I watch more of those kinds of movies anyway. Transformers (the first one)Star TrekNick and Nora's Infinite PlaylistHangoverElf ( I watched it like 8 times this past Xmas season since USA ran it almost every day)Love Actually (don't tell my wife)3 Bourne moviesShooterForgetting Sarah MarshallHaute TensionDawn of the Dead SlitherWar of the WorldsSerenityRole ModelsWedding CrashersNight at the MusuemBurn After Reading

1. No Country for Old Men2. Winged Migration3. Royal Tennenbaums4. Ratatouille5. Grizzly Man6. Traffic7. The Station Agent8. Once9. The Wrestler10. Road to Perdition10b. Apocalypto11. Enchanted12. Departed13. Collateral14. The Count of Monte Cristo15. Finding Nemo16. Into the Wild17. Just, Melvin: Just Evil18. Minority Report19. Bourne Ultimatum20. SpellboundHonorable Mention:21. The Hurt Locker22. The Road23. Pan’s Labyrinth24. Zoolander25. Cast Away26. History of Violence27. Training Day28. Black Hawk Down29. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?30. High Fidelity31. Man on Wire32. Ali33. Catch Me If You Can34. Bowling for Columbine35. Open Range36. Children of Men37. 8 Mile

Ok here is my top (22) It's not 20 because I can't think of who to remove. No particular order and instead of picking specific movies I picked series (e.g. LOTR, Bourne, etc.)Being John Malcovich
i know one you can take off.....Being John Malkovich (1999)
i know one you can take off.....Being John Malkovich (1999)
Hmm, when I looked it up it said 2000. Ok.I also would add Count of Monte Cristo, I forgot that one.Black Hawk Down was good, but I will never watch it again.
After all your whinging about the genius of Mel Gibson, neither Apocalypto nor The passion make your list? Not even honorable mention? Really?
In my defense, I just didn't think about Apocalypto. I still haven't really watched the Passion. Although after a couple tries, I've seen most of it.Apocalypto is definitely in my top 20. Let's put it right in front of Enchanted.
In terms of making the audience feel uncomfortable, may suggestThe WrestlerTo generate real feelings of audience discomfort, it helps to see these in a movie theater, at least 1/3 full.
So true. I was legitimately in shock for moments of this movie. My mother in law summed it up really well: "I hated that movie but it was really good." I think that is what the director was going for perhaps.
You know, it's ridiculous, but that's one of the most rewatchable movies of the decade for me. Maybe I just think that because it's on tv a lot.
Liz really loves that movie and finally I think last Valentine's Day all she wanted was for me to sit and watch it with her. I have probably watched it 3 more times since. It's a really good movie hidden behind a sappy chick flick marketing campaign.
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Nice. Glad I'm not the only one. I don't understand why this seems to be the least liked Wes Anderson movie.
It's a really good movie hidden behind a sappy chick flick marketing campaign.
I had to be convinced to give it a shot, but this is pretty much how I describe it to people.
So true. I was legitimately in shock for moments of this movie. My mother in law summed it up really well: "I hated that movie but it was really good." I think that is what the director was going for perhaps.
Same director as requiem for a dream.

Yeah, The Wrestler was the only screening I've gone to, where audience members walked out. (And that was before the stapler.)Regarding Love Actually--I really like it, but have to fast forward almost all the scenes with the faux Matthew Lillard. I'd love to cut that story line altogether, and make it a great movie.

Every time I see that movie I want to slap the director (or whoever did the casting) for having Shannon Elizabeth and Denise Richards be the trophy American girls. I mean...come on. They couldn't find two hotter women? Or at least two comparable women that were capable of saying 5-10 words without making me feel uncomfortable? Was getting two "name" actresses in a silly cameo really worth crushing any suspension of disbelief that I had going during the VERY EMOTIONAL climax of the movie? Ok, maybe it wasn't the climax, but you get the idea.

And January Jones! (She's in the scene in the Wisconsin bar, with Cuthbert.)I've always gotten the icks from Denise Richards. I don't have strong feelings for Shannon Elizabeth, except to lazily wonder, "Really? She was considered a sex symbol?" And I want Elisha Cuthbert to star in a Blondie biopic.