Bigd's Top 20 Movies Of The Decade

I want to know what they are. And everybody else*, too! I want to stress that making fun of people's selections is highly encouraged but that everybody's just kidding around! Come on! Also, here are some critics' lists to agree/disagree with. Roger Ebert's top 20 link courtesy of BigDRoeper's top 100 And he ends it with a whole bunch of honorable mentions. What the hell Roeper, narrow that shit down, jeez. Also, pick better movies next time. Boom roasted.The AV Club's top 50*I know I can count on JoeyJoJo, for one. If more pepole were like JoeyJoJo, the world would be a more organized and hilarious place. I'll post one too at some point, after I crib off of you guys.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ask and ye shall...No order, except Sch. is my number one. 1) Schnechdoche, NY2) Adaptation3) Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind4)There will be blood5) no country for old men6) inglorious bastards7) Kill Bill 1 & 2 ( it took me a while to come around on 2)8) Momento9) Pan's Lab10) American Psycho11) Bruno12) Mullholland drive13) Children of men14) moon15) the wrestler16) old boy17) the royal tannenbaums18) happiness19) hostel20) requiem for a dreamI think 1999 had more good movies in that year than this whole decade combined.

Ordering and selections are pretty rough outside the top-10, which is also pretty Asia biased. Meh. I'm sure I'm forgetting like a million things, and am way behind on films likely to have a push for top-five.1. Oldboy2. Schnechdoche3. There Will Be Blood 4. Adaptation 5. Happiness 6. No Country for Old Men7. City of God8. The Royal Tenenbaums9. Amores perros10. Capturing The Friedmans11. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…Spring12. Pan’s Labyrinth13. The Twilight Samurai14. Battle Royale15. Roger Dodger16. Last Life in the Universe17. Let the Right Ones In18. Kill Bill I/II19. The Clone Returns Home20. Match Point

I wasn't kidding about 1999 btw.. check out this list..No order, except John malk number 11) Being John Malkovitch2)Fight club3) American beauty4) The matrix5) run lola run6) magnolia7) bringing out the dead8) 3 kings9) the sixth sense10) blair witch11) the summer of sam12) eyes wide shut13) red violin14) Cruel intentions ( i'm a sucker for this film)15) Dogma16) boys don't cry 17) Election18) Ghost dog19) Girl interrupted20) toy story 2(also green mile, the insider, the straight story, drop dead gorgeous and some others)They don't make years like that any more. I remember in 1999, I saw so many movies, and each one I loved, just movie after movie.. I thought we were going into a movie Renaissance where indy sensibilities were going to be incorporated by the studios. Oh, silly mie.

I wasn't kidding about 1999 btw.. check out this list..No order, except John malk number 11) Being John Malkovitch2)Fight club3) American beauty4) The matrix5) run lola run6) magnolia7) bringing out the dead8) 3 kings9) the sixth sense10) blair witch11) the summer of sam12) eyes wide shut13) red violin14) Cruel intentions ( i'm a sucker for this film)15) Dogma16) boys don't cry 17) Election18) Ghost dog19) Girl interrupted20) toy story 2(also green mile, the insider, the straight story, drop dead gorgeous and some others)They don't make years like that any more. I remember in 1999, I saw so many movies, and each one I loved, just movie after movie.. I thought we were going into a movie Renaissance where indy sensibilities were going to be incorporated by the studios. Oh, silly mie.
That really is remarkable. I also remember thinking how Movie Making seemed to be heading in an incredible direction - and the let down of Reality of the power of the studios.I am still a little partial to "The Incredibles" as one of my favorites from the past decade.

1. No Country for Old Men2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind3. There Will Be Blood4. City of God5. Memento6. Kill Bill 1 & 27. Y Tu Mama Tambien8. The Royal Tenenbaums9. Oldboy10. Lost In Translation11. Pan's Labyrinth12. Inglourious Basterds13. Requiem for a Dream14. Children of Men15. The Wrestler16. Mulholland Dr.17. 25th Hour18. Wall E19. Zodiac20. Spirited AwayLooking at these decade end lists makes me realize how many movies I still need to see.

ask and ye shall...No order, except Sch. is my number one. 1) Schnechdoche, NY2) Adaptation3) Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind4)There will be blood5) no country for old men6) inglorious bastards7) Kill Bill 1 & 2 ( it took me a while to come around on 2)8) Momento9) Pan's Lab10) American Psycho11) Bruno12) Mullholland drive13) Children of men14) moon15) the wrestler16) old boy17) the royal tannenbaums18) happiness19) hostel20) requiem for a dreamI think 1999 had more good movies in that year than this whole decade combined.
Also, because of the number of films on your list which we share in common, I'm going to have to see the remaining films on your list which I have yet to see.I've never even seen an interview with Kaufman, but he'd have to be on the top of the list of people with whom I'd like to have dinner.
Also, because of the number of films on your list which we share in common, I'm going to have to see the remaining films on your list which I have yet to see.I've never even seen an interview with Kaufman, but he'd have to be on the top of the list of people with whom I'd like to have dinner.
where's kauffman's confessions of a dangerous mind that movie ruled
where's kauffman's confessions of a dangerous mind that movie ruled
EH yeah but so did a whole lot of other movies that aren't in the top 20.
Really, Bruno instead of Borat?
I was thinking that also.You guys didn't think LOTR was top 20?I might try to come up with a list, there are a lot of movies to choose from. I will probably get shit from everyone with my picks lol.BigD why did you like Summer of Sam so much? I really didn't like that movie. Mira Sorvino being hot was its only quality. (edit) nm that was just the 1999 list.

I'm horrible at lists so I'm probably forgetting stuff. I'll do a lot of editing but this is what I have.1) LOTR: Return of the King (03)2) Dark Knight (08)3) Avatar (09)4) Road to Perdition (02)5) Black Hawk Down (01)6) No Country for Old Men (07)7) Sideways (04)8) Collateral (04)9) Finding Nemo (03)10) Slumdog Millionaire (08)11) Pans Labyrinth (06)12) Cinderella Man (05)13) Apocalypto (06)14) Blood Diamond (06)15) Gladiator (00)16) Bourne Identity (02)17) Borat (05)18) City of God (02)19) Iron Man (08)20) Into the Wild (07)

Most good movies fill me with a kind of crushing sadness that leaves me unwilling to repeat the process anew, so with that caveat, here is an unexamined, fuzzy list of Wang's favorite movies of the decade:- No Country for Old Men- There Will Be Blood- Almost Famous- Knocked Up- The Bourne Ultimatum- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Juno- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- Royal Tannenbaums- About a Boy- Memento- The Departed- Traffic- Mystic River- Syriana- Michael Clayton- Little Miss Sunshine- Signs- You and Me and Everyone We KnowActually, I thought about that for a full 15-20 minutes, which is longer than I expected I would. The breadth and depth of my cinematic experience/appreciation is embarrassing.

Wang also liked Brick, but he would have to see it again to determine whether it makes his listAlso, ****: I forgot Amelie which definitely makes the list.
Amelie and Brick are good additions. I haven't seen so many of the good movies.
Christ, you spend one evening in close proximity to a child and this is what happens to you.
Actually, the kid and I watched TMNT2. I told him the snapping turtle should have been nominated for an Academy Award.Seriously, though, I liked that movie, and I know that is almost certainly objectively incorrect.
I really like a lot of the movies listed. I haven't seen one of my favorites here, yet: Shawn of the Dead.
Okay. Consider it added to my list.
Really, Bruno instead of Borat?
Yes, and I'll tell you exactly why. While I liked Borat, I remember at the time thinking that I liked the borat incarnation on "The Ali G " Show better, and saw the movie as just a thinnly veilled excuse to do more "Borat" sketches. And it was funny, absolutely funny, but I felt a lot of the movie was filler, and didn't see the point of it being a movie ( other than to make lots of money).Whereas Bruno I thought was genius, because it was doing something more.... With borat we as an audience get to be smug, and laugh at all these dumb people who get duped by this funny faux eastern european. We are all smug and in on the joke. And that sort of smugness is all fun and games until you see cocks swinging around on the screen, or two men hard core making out, and that's what I loved about bruno.. Bruno made many of the audiences just as uncomfortable as the people on the screen. There were many people who walked out of my screening of the movie, and I've heard many people, in real life and online say how much they hated the movie, because of the gayness and male nudity. And I thought that was just fantastic. It was an evolutionary Andy Kaufman, where the joke is on the audience, and the audience is NOT in on it, and evokes other emotions besides humor and laughter ( like anger, disgust and sexual identity confusion). And I also thought it was just plain funnier than borat. There were several times I lost controll of myself laughing, like hysterical, uncontrollable laughter. THe climax scene was just so brilliant, so, so good.
Yeah, that's a bit crazy. But I'm not sure it's a big deal...BigD (and Dutch) aren't really comedy movie guys to begin with.
This is not true . I love a good comedy. My two favorite movies of all time could be considered comedies ( the Big Leb and Dr Strangelove). I just don't like cliche, disposable comedies. If my comedies are going to be dumb, I want it to err on the side of physical gag dumb, like Jackass or something. On my top 20, about half of the have strong comedic elements ( though few would be considered pure comedies) IE 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 17, 18, 19
I've never even seen an interview with Kaufman, but he'd have to be on the top of the list of people with whom I'd like to have dinner.
He's squirrelly. I've seen him on The Daily show, and a couple of other things on the net. He's about like you'd imagine.