Pocket Queens Utg

Recent live NLHE tournament I was in. Starting stack 10k, blinds at 100/200. Villain and myself have about the same size stacks, I think I have 13k, he still has 10. No real reads on the villain other than he is capable of laying down some big hands to pressure. I get dealt QQ utg. I raise to 800, only the villain calls. Flop: 9-5-2 rainbow. I bet 1600. ( was this too much? I was trying to rep a hand like AQ, AK). Villain raises to 3600. I was little skeptical of the raise as he may be repping an overpair/set, or trying to steal it cheaply ( I wasn't sure). After tanking for a while, I can to the conclusion that he wasn't stealing and was repping something pretty strong. I ruled out AA or KK because the guy would have reraised pre-flop, I have seen that much. So I put him on TT, JJ or a set. I called the raise.Turn: 6. I check and the villain checks. ( i was pretty thrown off by this, as a set would surely throw out a bet here right? Its not a draw heavy board but you'd think he'd try to get some value out of an overpair)River: 7. I check again and so does the villain. (I checked the river because I was pretty sure I was beat. I was debating calling if he bet, but he checked.)So my question is: In that spot, is it pretty much an insta-call with the overpair to a min-raise or should I have folded? Would folding be too nitty? Also if he bets the river after checking the turn, is it still likely he has a set or more likely he has an overpair I beat?

i think our flop play depends on 3 things:1.) your image2.) if villain seems like he has been somewhat aggro3.)how often you have cbetIm currently on a quest to get rid of all my Fancy Play syndrome crap, but i think we can take a check OOP on the flop, because then we can c/c or c/r depending on just how aggro villain has been, the more aggro the better, unless we have cbet a lotturn and river at first look god awful cards to see, but i don't think from what it sounds like that you were putting him on middle connectors, more like other overpairs and maybe AK, AQ getting tricky. Maybe, maybe he has Like Q9, j9. sets are possible too,..The flop lead isn't horrible, but i think it could limit the amount of value you could get on the later streets. From what it sounds like you are saying, he is a thinking player right,... ??if you lead this flop and get a tiny raise, and you know villain lay down big, why not float the flop and fire a second barrel on scary turns, like that one? your clearly done with the hand if you get called or raised but it could have been an option. Check fold river 100% and hope he has JJ, 10's if you did that.Im curious, how did you KNOW he could lay down big, did he fold a huge hand and show it? This even could make me think turning our hand into a bluff and 4 betting flop could be an option, idk describe villain more and how you knew his read please

I ship that flop after villian raises.
Yah this is pretty simple. JJ, 1010, as well as Any 9x is in Villains range.I'm assuming by the tone of your question you WERE beat and think that there is some secret out there to tell if your QQ are beat on a 9 high board that we all know but there isn't one. Somebody Poker Stove this one to show exactly how much equity we have here.
plz do not 4x. 3x in that spot...and go all in on this board after the min raise
from what i have seen and done 4X works amazingly in cash games, but in tourny just 3 x it. as for the ship, i was lazy and didn't do the math, yah pots big we shove, dont float, i though we where way deeper
Yah this is pretty simple. JJ, 1010, as well as Any 9x is in Villains range.I'm assuming by the tone of your question you WERE beat and think that there is some secret out there to tell if your QQ are beat on a 9 high board that we all know but there isn't one. Somebody Poker Stove this one to show exactly how much equity we have here.
this short we have a ton! give me e second,... downloading the new version,... wow thinner then i thought, assuming bottom and middle sets doesn't defend the UTG range, even money. I also assume only A9 bc if he can lay down strong, that may be the only 9 that goes: Has villain cold called big? it maybe a stretch depending on reads if he 3bets or not idk only you can answer that u were there.ok so this is very tight, add in 5's and 2's and a crap ton of 9x's we have an arse load of equity, even if villain was as nitty as me we have great equityText results appended to pokerstove.txt 184,140 games 0.001 secs 184,140,000 games/secBoard: 9c 2h 5dDead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 48.465% 46.85% 01.61% 86274 2970.00 { QQ }Hand 1: 51.535% 49.92% 01.61% 91926 2970.00 { 99+, A9s }
pretty standard imo
even moeny against his calling range, not to mention the fold equity of all the highcards that missed and maybe are being silly with the small bet, like AK, yah +ev, but as an above said, it sounds like he ran into a monster

What is making you think that villain had a monster here after villain checked behind on both turn and river?Rumsey, your range for villain is way too narrow. People cold call live with PP all the time, so all sets are in villains range, as are basically all 98+, and sometimes even underpairs who raise to "find out where they are at" and because they lolz put you on AK.

What is making you think that villain had a monster here after villain checked behind on both turn and river?Rumsey, your range for villain is way too narrow. People cold call live with PP all the time, so all sets are in villains range, as are basically all 98+, and sometimes even underpairs who raise to "find out where they are at" and because they lolz put you on AK.
you may be right, i dont play live like at all except for every now and then live 1-2 homegames that where 50% all .50-1 and 1-2 regs online so you probably are right,and yes i get pwned that is why i dont play them anymore even thou everytime i got it in good and lost my whole stack, but that is for another time and place

I know the villain can make big lay downs because I bluffed him off a hand a few rounds earlier. Folded to me on the button and I raised to 600 (same blind level) with 7/8o. Same villain called from small blind. Flop: A-K-2. He led out with 600 and I raised to 2400 and he snap folded his A10 face up. On this particular hand for him to play back at me with the min-raise seemed to represent a hand that would call an all-in on the flop. I thought about firing again on the turn but when the guy seemed pretty strong and I was worried he was feeling sneaky and trying to let me bet his set/overpair. Standard ship though on this flop?

The checks really confused me as for a guy like this one ( who is a pretty passive player so any raise signifies some strength) to raise and then check really made me feel like I was ahead or he was scared about my hand. At this regular tournament, my image is pretty TAG so some of the more passive players will c/c with huge hands knowing i'll be aggressive. So I had the feeling that he was looking to me to bet but wouldn't on his own for whatever reason. I almost went all in on the flop but felt like I show up in the situation a lot, especially at this tournament. Overpair to the board I bet, get min-raised, I ship and villain shows a set or a bigger overpair. I guess I'm wondering (barring any amazing reads) if this is almost always the correct play and perhaps my personal misfortune with it has jaded me to it?Also I'm a little confused with the equity numbers. Is that representing the gain/loss of shoving here? If someone could run that by me I would greatly appreciate it.

The hero still has close to 45 big blinds after calling (started with 13k - put 4400 in so far) and most people are recommending shoving with one pair, albeit an overpair.............. I love internet donkeys. I have one word for you - Survival - this is what tournaments are all about....how often are you geniuses going broke with one pair hands??? Now maybe you play so bad that it is in your best interest to gamble, I don't know.....but a skilled player is probably not willing to go broke in this spot. After it goes check-check on the turn, there is nothing wrong with betting 4500 on the river for value or checking to induce a bluff. The fact that you don't feel you have alot of info on the villian makes it hard for me to understand why you would want to fold for a min-raise but there is nothing wrong with trying to control the size of the pot, in my opinion. Once again, if you feel you are the best player or one of the better players at the table there is no reason to shove with one pair hands and perhaps fold on the turn if villain makes a decent sized bet --- You would still have had around 9k with the blinds at 100/200 which is plenty of chips.

Also I'm a little confused with the equity numbers. Is that representing the gain/loss of shoving here? If someone could run that by me I would greatly appreciate it.
Here is an easy way to look at it. You have AA and your Villain has either KK, KQ or AK (but you don't know which). Flop comes out QJ10. If he has KK you are 75% to win (lose 25%)If he has KQ you are 70% to win (lose 30%)If he has AK you are 2% to win (13% to tie) and 85% to lose. IF you add these all up (then divide by 3) you are gonna win this match up against any of these hands in the long run 50% of the time. So basically even if he does have the AK and has you crushed you are still gonna make more money by calling ALWAYS here because of the times he shows up with KK or KQ. When you have 50% equity against an entire range of hands a Villain could have...you are crushing his range of hands. (Someone check my math on this but I think I'm right)
The hero still has close to 45 big blinds after calling (started with 13k - put 4400 in so far) and most people are recommending shoving with one pair, albeit an overpair.............. I love internet donkeys. I have one word for you - Survival - this is what tournaments are all about....how often are you geniuses going broke with one pair hands??? Now maybe you play so bad that it is in your best interest to gamble, I don't know.....but a skilled player is probably not willing to go broke in this spot. After it goes check-check on the turn, there is nothing wrong with betting 4500 on the river for value or checking to induce a bluff. The fact that you don't feel you have alot of info on the villian makes it hard for me to understand why you would want to fold for a min-raise but there is nothing wrong with trying to control the size of the pot, in my opinion. Once again, if you feel you are the best player or one of the better players at the table there is no reason to shove with one pair hands and perhaps fold on the turn if villain makes a decent sized bet --- You would still have had around 9k with the blinds at 100/200 which is plenty of chips.
I felt that if the villain was ready to raise my bet, he was showing some strength. Hes very passive and check called quite a few hands prior. I didn't want to shove there as I seem to run into two pair/sets a lot with an overpair. My big concern was that I called the raise not really knowing what to do on later streets. I'm pretty sure if he bet again, I was going to fold. but I wanted to run it by you guys to see if my thoughts were correct. I haven't been playing very long but due to my personality, I adapt and learn quickly. Hence, I'm pretty sure I've passed 95% of the regulars at this particular tournament, but I get trapped more than I like due to the passive/weak play these guys put out.
I'm not advocating a shove on the flop here, but what's wrong with shoving here if we think we have the best hand, and villain will call us down lightly. Obviously, there are different ways to plays this hand to either maximize our value or minimize our losses. Sure, part of winning tournaments is about survival. But we should also be willing to lay our life on the line if we see the current situation as +EV.
wow dude, slow your trash talk, poker is poker douche! there is nothing to gamble, i assigned a very tight range and we are even money, slow down a bit man,... wow you got some nerve! tournys are about taking +ev when you can so you have a chance to go somewhat deep, nitting out min cashes doesn't win a decent ROI at all, at some point you need one or two big scores to compensate for missed cashes,....
wow dude, slow your trash talk, poker is poker douche! there is nothing to gamble, i assigned a very tight range and we are even money, slow down a bit man,... wow you got some nerve! tournys are about taking +ev when you can so you have a chance to go somewhat deep, nitting out min cashes doesn't win a decent ROI at all, at some point you need one or two big scores to compensate for missed cashes,....
I really wanna throw myself off a roof for agreeing with Rumsey but really Dude...chill out. A:) OP asked for advice and we are trying to give it to him. I play primarily Live so don't think that putting all your money in when you have 50% or more equity is a "Online thing." Quit being a dickhead. B:) Tournaments are about Survival...yes....but don't make the mistake of always thinking you are beat when someone raises you. There are these two theories I want you to look into...they are called. "Being too aggressive" and "Over Valuing your hand" I make the most money off of players that basically fall into those categories....especially in tournaments. I raised with KK's once and got two callers. The flop came 9 7 3 and both the guys moved all in before the action came to me. One had 96 and one had 86.....Are you telling me I should fold there always because someone could have 97 or 33? I think not...
I really wanna throw myself off a roof for agreeing with Rumsey but really Dude...chill out. A:) OP asked for advice and we are trying to give it to him. I play primarily Live so don't think that putting all your money in when you have 50% or more equity is a "Online thing." Quit being a dickhead. B:) Tournaments are about Survival...yes....but don't make the mistake of always thinking you are beat when someone raises you. There are these two theories I want you to look into...they are called. "Being too aggressive" and "Over Valuing your hand" I make the most money off of players that basically fall into those categories....especially in tournaments. I raised with KK's once and got two callers. The flop came 9 7 3 and both the guys moved all in before the action came to me. One had 96 and one had 86.....Are you telling me I should fold there always because someone could have 97 or 33? I think not...
Ok, so maybe I was thinking about it the wrong way. In my experience, I run up against sets with overpairs a lot. I've been busted so many times going all in over the top of a flop raise and perhaps that is clouding my judgment about these situations. With 50% equity, its pretty safe to say that I'll be ahead most of the time in those situations right?

River is a really icky spot and I think I check intending to vomit. I think a bet given stack sizes and board texture can produced really gross spots.But I'd shove flop.Once you get raised he has effectively 5600 behind with 6900 in the middle. You are out of position and this is not a spot to flat ever. Get the hand over with and save yourself the pain of having to reevalate turns and rivers like this. Calling and putting in that percentage of your stack and maybe having to fold later streets is really bad.The only feasible hands that beat you are sets and there are turn of other pocket pairs in there that might call off, as well as 9x hands (A9, K9s, J9s, T9, 98, 97s all seem possible). The sets part of his range is likely small compared to the other part. Shoving is going to be good here vs most.If you have a really solid read that villain is a complete rock, the sets part of his range is probably close to all of his range and you could even fold. I think I prefer fold to a call on the flop.

Rumsey, your range for villain is way too narrow. People cold call live with PP all the time, so all sets are in villains range, as are basically all 98+, and sometimes even underpairs who raise to "find out where they are at" and because they lolz put you on AK.
I agree with this, especially the underpair part.
lol sick post brahBut I have to say it.....Highway pretty much just owned this hand