Beans-n-icewater Protege Contest

The new avatar is incredible.
Concur.The prizes for the winner of the contest are as follows:- Your very own copy of The Imperative Beans-n-Icewater, a treasury of cartoons and pics by beans. This copy will include an updated foreword by Wang, plus an additional chapter containing all of the entries from the Protege contest.- A personal hand-drawn caricature by beans.- A 30-minute phone call from beans (possibly from a strip club) to learn all his tips and secrets. Well, some of them. 30 minutes isn't enough for all of them.LG has graciously donated her hard-copy of the book (since she has an electronic version) and her phone call (due to international calling prices) to runner-up vbnautilus.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats LadyGrey!!If you didn't win after the effort you put into the snowbeans, it would have been a travesty.

Due to the closeness of the competition I elect to share my prizes with VB. He may receive the bound copy of Beans' cartoons, and possibly another prize or two but I can't remember what the rest are.
I had planned to call you a cunt in white text, but I suppose now I can't do that. see, you thwarted me again, you cunt!Seriously, though, thanks, that's very nice of you.
Alcohol is a crutch, man.
My manager saw me drinking backstage and he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch, because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely fucks up the way I walk. It ain't like a crutch, it's like a step I didn't see.

How does turd fall below 2nd place? Maybe there is scores in the week 3 thread. I will go check but I am surprised at this result to be quite honest.Edit after I have had time to check the situation out (nice abs): So turd didn't get any points in the cartoon part? Rigged.

Week One - Story TimeCane Brain - 5turd ferguson - 4LadyGrey - 2.5vb naut i lus - 2.5Balloon guy - 1Others (in no particular order):timwakefieldSBriandTheraflurunthemoverEl GuapovvganeshavvsandwedgebrvheartWeek Two - Corona in Paradiseturd ferguson - 5Lady Grey - 4qyayqi - 3vbnautilus - 2runthemover - 0.5leftygolfer - 0.5Others (in no particular order):Voldemorttobytobeysandwedgedna4everBalloon guyWeek Three - Toontownvbnautilus - 5LadyGrey - 4runthemover - 3sandwedge - 2qyayqi - 1Others (in no particular order):Randy Reedturd fergusonBalloon guySBriandFinal StandingsLadyGrey - 10.5 vbnautilus - 9.5 turd ferguson - 9.0 CaneBrain - 5.0 qyayqi - 4.0 runthemover - 3.5 sandwedge - 2.0 Balloon guy - 1.0 leftygolfer - 0.5

That must have kept even you busy for a while!
And how!Tedious too.So that turd kind of choked there at the end, huh? Follows up a 2nd and 1st place showing with a blank. I wonder if there was some backlash from the judges due to not knowing who he is.
So that turd kind of choked there at the end, huh? Follows up a 2nd and 1st place showing with a blank. I wonder if there was some backlash from the judges due to not knowing who he is.
I think his cartoon just wasn't very good. It wasn't hand drawn or drawn on the computer by hand or whatever.
And how!Tedious too.So that turd kind of choked there at the end, huh? Follows up a 2nd and 1st place showing with a blank. I wonder if there was some backlash from the judges due to not knowing who he is.
I think so because I don't think he necessarily choked in the 3rd round. It was worth points imo.
I think so because I don't think he necessarily choked in the 3rd round. It was worth points imo.
Who would you knock out of the top five? vb, LG, run, Q, or sandwedge? I thought those five were all pretty excellent.
Who would you knock out of the top five? vb, LG, run, Q, or sandwedge? I thought those five were all pretty excellent.
For my part, I was amazed that Sandwedge beat Q in the cartoon challenge. Q's was a lot more impressive technically whilst Sandwedge's was quite primitive and messy. It was only 4 frames which were all different sizes, and the photoshopped elements were sloppy and lazy. The punchline was very funny, but I didn't feel that made up for the lack of artistry and lack of intangibles. No offense, Sandwedge.
No offense to any of the contestants but I could easily replace him with Q or sandwedge. I would probably rank them with short notice...vbrunturdLgQI really liked VB's from start to finish. Creative, funny, put in a good solid effort. I believe his was more Beansy than anyone else's.I liked Run's. The rules didn't state that you had to draw it all by hand like some people keep insisting but I think his abstract style of humor and such entertains me more than others.I really liked turds, again, no he didn't draw it but I enjoyed it and thought it funny.LG's was artistically the tops but for me the story line was meh. I know that saying that might get some gasps but just one man's opinion. If it was a pure art contest then hands down, by far the winner, but I found other entries content to be more appealing.Q I remember I enjoyed it but I went to go look at it again and it wouldn't load up for me. I could probably be swayed to replace him and turd in the standings. I honestly had no problems with the results I just thought that turd did enough to finish better imo.

I disagree about wedge's cartoon. I thought each panel had something funny about it. In fact, my favorite part was the winner being "someone other than Scram or Wang" and somebody in the crowd saying, "wtf?" That killed me.The way I judged everything was to assign a score in each of the categories right after viewing it. I didn't want the replies to sway my opinion. If somebody brought something up that I didn't notice the first time around, I might adjust the score, but otherwise I mostly went with my initial feeling. In the cartoon challenge, I had VB first and LG, Q, SW, and run all tied for 2nd. It sounds like a cop out, but they received different scores in different categories and it just happened to add up to the same score.Wedge got the highest intangible score, but the lowest artistry score. Q had the highest artistry, but lowest intangible. And so on.

I disagree about wedge's cartoon. I thought each panel had something funny about it. In fact, my favorite part was the winner being "someone other than Scram or Wang" and somebody in the crowd saying, "wtf?" That killed me.The way I judged everything was to assign a score in each of the categories right after viewing it. I didn't want the replies to sway my opinion. If somebody brought something up that I didn't notice the first time around, I might adjust the score, but otherwise I mostly went with my initial feeling. In the cartoon challenge, I had VB first and LG, Q, SW, and run all tied for 2nd. It sounds like a cop out, but they received different scores in different categories and it just happened to add up to the same score.Wedge got the highest intangible score, but the lowest artistry score. Q had the highest artistry, but lowest intangible. And so on.
Which have you put more time into, this or the post baseball stats?I'm just curious, both are awesome.
Which have you put more time into, this or the post baseball stats?
It was a labor of love.Seriously though, this wasn't all that time consuming. I'm sure some of the contestants put more time into it than I did.Except Balloon guy. What a half-assed job he did, amirite?
It was a labor of love.Seriously though, this wasn't all that time consuming. I'm sure some of the contestants put more time into it than I did.Except Balloon guy. What a half-assed job he did, amirite?
Regarding the bolded, I'm sure it was.Regarding BG, he probably didn't pray hard enough.

Well folks, this was a damn fine promotion if I do say so myself! First and foremost, congratulations to LadyGrey! Shes gonna make a dandy protege for sure. In the coming months, I'm going to take all of that raw talent of hers and mold and shape her into a....oops, lost my train of thought there! LOL! Seriously, well done! I'm gearing up my supplies for that hand drawn caricature that you most definitely deserve!Secondly, I'd like to thank each and everyone who entered the Beans-n-Icewater protege contest. I enjoyed all the entries very much, and honestly, judging them was more difficult than you'd imagine. Kudos to all of you! Frankly, In my mind you all are winners! I plan on touching base with VB about that phone call in the next few days. No auctioning on this one folks LOL!Lastly, but not last by any means, is my wicked smart biz team. To Joey, Speedy, Wang, and the hundreds of other folks that worked behind the scenes to pull off this monumental stunt, my deepest regards are in order. One of them even spent two nights on a park bench in Oxnard for the cause. I cant talk about that right now...the bouncers may still file charges! LOL!Frankly, I cant wait for the next time the biz team shakes me awake from a blackout for another promotion! LOL!

wow I almost played tie-maker there. now that things are wrapped up, I'll spill my beans. I was runthemover THE ENTIRE TIMEanyway, congrats to LG and the rest of the contestants. thanks to the judges for your time. probably the "most fun" I'f had on the forum