Team Canada 2010

I don't think you realize how much other countries play soccer. Canadian kids who play seriously might play an hour 3-5 days a week. With practices and playing on their own time...maybe 10-15 hours per week?In some of the countries you see with success, soccer is played with all their free time. Often 30-40 hours a week. My grandfather played on the National team for Austria in the 30's - he told me they played 40-50 hours a week all year (more in the summer) from ages 3-18. If you were actually on a high-level club team, it was more like 50-75, as they'd give you extra school credits.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you realize how much other countries play soccer. Canadian kids who play seriously might play an hour 3-5 days a week. With practices and playing on their own time...maybe 10-15 hours per week?In some of the countries you see with success, soccer is played with all their free time. Often 30-40 hours a week. My grandfather played on the National team for Austria in the 30's - he told me they played 40-50 hours a week all year (more in the summer) from ages 3-18. If you were actually on a high-level club team, it was more like 50-75, as they'd give you extra school credits.
i understand that..I was actually born in Turkey and was there till i was 8years old...Soccer in Turkey is a religion and everyone plays and thats all they do.We have the foundation of the sport here, but we need to take it to the next level.
why doesnt this translate into soccer success...Seems like EVERY kid in Canada plays soccer but we suck internationally.
Most kids who are competitive (and parents who have time) go into hockey -- soccer is more for 'fun' / something to get the kids out of the house.
i understand that..I was actually born in Turkey and was there till i was 8years old...Soccer in Turkey is a religion and everyone plays and thats all they do.We have the foundation of the sport here, but we need to take it to the next level.
Ah yes, I had forgotton. I don't mean it quite as offensively as it sounds, but the problem with soccer getting big here is all the other options. There's also that reason which plagues our baseball teams...it is friggin cold!I would hope that we can work ourselves into the top-50 in the world or so. All we need is one Canadian 'name' player to give the kids something to work on.
Most kids who are competitive (and parents who have time) go into hockey -- soccer is more for 'fun' / something to get the kids out of the house.
So true!!!!!Another point is when you have a guy like myself coaching soccer (did it for 3 years and quit after I got called for a meeting with the league), then you have problems.

Anyone in Canada who is good enough to play soccer professionally probably goes to another country to train/get better. You know, a bit like how kids go to Canada to improve their youth hockey game if it is a serious thing.

So true!!!!!Another point is when you have a guy like myself coaching soccer (did it for 3 years and quit after I got called for a meeting with the league), then you have problems.
This is true. So long as dangerous sex offenders can coach our youth for 3 years without being noticed, our development program will have serious problems. :club::ts

Just curious and too lazy to check..Is there a team out there with more than 6 Olympians like the Leafs??

Apparently there are..Ironically the team that has the most hockey players in the Olympics is a shocker..Most people wont get the answer

Apparently there are..Ironically the team that has the most hockey players in the Olympics is a shocker..Most people wont get the answer
Buffalo has more than 6, but I don't know if they have the most. I can't think of a team with more though. That doesn't even count Hecht who thusfar has been left off the German team for reasons that defy logic or common sense.
Non-NHL, apparently Dynamo Riga from the KHL comprises almost the entire Latvian Olympic roster.
bingo...
Non-NHL, apparently Dynamo Riga from the KHL comprises almost the entire Latvian Olympic roster.
yeah, thats why I was asking if it was non-NHL.like the days when the Soviet team was all Red Army.so now im wondering which NHL team is sending the most?
yeah, thats why I was asking if it was non-NHL.like the days when the Soviet team was all Red Army.so now im wondering which NHL team is sending the most?
According to my limited research it's the Sharks with 8.
If I am Phaneuf or Bouwmeester I might be inclined to decline the call, after being snubbed the first time.
I can see Bouwmeester being miffed. But if Phaneuf really thought he had a shot at making the team this year after his hideous play, or thought he deserved it over any of those who did make it, he's more idiotic than I thought.
  • 2 weeks later...
Meh. I don't think we should ever change from red and white.
agree..The goofy green jerseys they used in the juniors for a game where ridicolous.The black isnt that great either.

Eh, I actually like the black ones, as jerseys, but the Olympics and other national team tournaments are supposed to breed patriotism, and doing black or green kinda defy the point.Imagine the USA soccer or basketball team, or whatever else is popular, going to Red, White, and Green? There'd be a riot.

i suppose your right about the patriotism thing and the USA would definatly have riots.I just think we need more color then red and white. Our Van 2010 jersey is nice look at least