I mean, I feel like you're shooting for biggest troll at this point.

Ape in heels. What else could that possibly be besides overt racism?

How about it Michelle had the same pics Melania does, does the right give her shit about that? Nah, probably just the sleeveless gowns

Come the fck on man, this country is racist as fck.

Oh, I agree with you, by and large.

I'm just super cautious about animal references meaning automatic racism ever since Cosell.

I mean, I've called people apes before, and it wasn't my only black friend growing up. It had nothing to do with racism.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AND RICHIE HAS MONSTROUS THIGHS   BE CAREFUL HE'LL GOUGE YOUR EYES   SCREAMS RACIAL SLURS AT BLACK GUYS   but out of love.. but out of love, but out of loooooove

Much like with Christianity, someday after I'm dead, when people are forming a religion around me, there will be a big split between those who don't believe in the literal divinity of my lifestyle and

God I love that Incognito song.

Totally. And historically, _Al Campanis was pretty accurate, right? So that makes it cool

Yeah, Cosell was born in 1918. I'm sure no subtle racism leaked in his psyche. By and large, 80 year olds are pretty free thinkers these days

Yeah, Cosell was born in 1918. I'm sure no subtle racism leaked in his psyche. By and large, 80 year olds are pretty free thinkers these days

I agree with what Cosell said about it, "My work for civil rights speaks for itself".

Have you seen the movie Ali?

Oh, I agree with you, by and large.

I'm just super cautious about animal references meaning automatic racism ever since Cosell.

I mean, I've called people apes before, and it wasn't my only black friend growing up. It had nothing to do with racism.

Okay, I understand you're cautious, but I'm not, so lets just jump right in, and try to figure out what Pamela Taylor could have meant, besides something racist..

"It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House,I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels."

Now, clearly this was meant in a different way, that Cosell said Little monkey while making a complement, so his argument that he used it as a term of endearment, to his grandchildren, is at least plausible. There's nothing complementary about that comment, it's clearly meant as an insult towards Michelle.

But is it a racial insult? Well, what is an ape like that someone might be compared to one? when you called your friends an ape, for example, what was the context? Well, you could say Ape's are stupid. Is Michelle Obama Stupid? I'm not sure anyone credible would make that argument, she's a Princeton and Harvard Graduate. She's not Chumlee or something. Maybe you called your friend an Ape, because they were big, clumsy and oafish? I don't think anyone could say that Michelle is any of those things, either. Perhaps they are using ape, the way Dan uses it for Stugotz, meaning behaviorally less evolved, apt towards "primitive" behavior. I would need you to point out specific examples of this in MO's past, for me to sign off on this, because she has seemed elegant and charming to me.

so, I'm not sure what could be left, that this woman is talking about, than the historic comparison of black people to monkeys, with the intention of denigrating them as less genetically evolved, as less than human. You can say you're unaware of this stereotype, but I think you'd be dishonest in staying that, and I promise you black people are not unaware of it. I mean, maybe you think that Big East fans just thought Patrick Ewing needed more potassium when they threw banana's on the court. Maybe it was a coincidence, when I was at a Millwall soccer game, that every time a black player touched the ball ,the crowd would erupt in gorilla noises. However, I've heard the monkey/ape/gorilla slur used towards black people since I was a very small child, and Since joining the internet, I see it frequently, particularly on parts of the internet that aren't moderated by canadians. I can't imagine how much actual black people have heard the slur over the course of their lives. so I find the claim an absence of awareness of the monkey/gorilla/ape slur very difficult to me believe, and in the context it was used there, It's difficult to come up with a more clear racial slur, that doesn't involve the n word.

Also, let me ask you this, if Taylor really could have plausibly used that insult, in an absence of racial malice, then why should the mayor even resign? If Taylor didn't do anything wrong, or you can't know her heart, then how can you know the mayor's, when she agreed with Taylor? It doesn't make any sense for the mayor to resign, if Taylor didn't do anything intentionally racist.

• Like 1

That West Virginia mayor lady that said they were tired of the having an ape in heels as the First Lady didn't mean it to be racist either. Maybe we should take her at her word. After all, she's white, she deserves the benefit of the doubt

Orrrrr, there is just a lot of racism, overt and subversive, in this country. It was founded and thrived upon it

Do you actually think posse and ape in heels is comparable? Never in my life have I heard anyone, in any context even suggest that posse was remotely racist. Ape insults are so commonplace you can't possibly feign ignorance.

I'm objecting to the idea that any word can be "tinged" with racism if used towards black people. Christ, Lebby said "entourage" is racist too when the most known use of that word is a show about 4 white guys. It's ludicrous to bring race into what Phil Jackson said. Clearly, obviously, and undeniably he was insulting rich Paul and mav carter because they owe 100% of their success to lebrons basketball talent. That's it.

Okay, I understand you're cautious, but I'm not, so lets just jump right in, and try to figure out what Pamela Taylor could have meant, besides something racist..

"It will be so refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady back in the White House,I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels."

Now, clearly this was meant in a different way, that Cosell said Little monkey while making a complement, so his argument that he used it as a term of endearment, to his grandchildren, is at least plausible. There's nothing complementary about that comment, it's clearly meant as an insult towards Michelle.

But is it a racial insult? Well, what is an ape like that someone might be compared to one? when you called your friends an ape, for example, what was the context? Well, you could say Ape's are stupid. Is Michelle Obama Stupid? I'm not sure anyone credible would make that argument, she's a Princeton and Harvard Graduate. She's not Chumlee or something. Maybe you called your friend an Ape, because they were big, clumsy and oafish? I don't think anyone could say that Michelle is any of those things, either. Perhaps they are using ape, the way Dan uses it for Stugotz, meaning behaviorally less evolved, apt towards "primitive" behavior. I would need you to point out specific examples of this in MO's past, for me to sign off on this, because she has seemed elegant and charming to me.

so, I'm not sure what could be left, that this woman is talking about, than the historic comparison of black people to monkeys, with the intention of denigrating them as less genetically evolved, as less than human. You can say you're unaware of this stereotype, but I think you'd be dishonest in staying that, and I promise you black people are not unaware of it. I mean, maybe you think that Big East fans just thought Patrick Ewing needed more potassium when they threw banana's on the court. Maybe it was a coincidence, when I was at a Millwall soccer game, that every time a black player touched the ball ,the crowd would erupt in gorilla noises. However, I've heard the monkey/ape/gorilla slur used towards black people since I was a very small child, and Since joining the internet, I see it frequently, particularly on parts of the internet that aren't moderated by canadians. I can't imagine how much actual black people have heard the slur over the course of their lives. so I find the claim an absence of awareness of the monkey/gorilla/ape slur very difficult to me believe, and in the context it was used there, It's difficult to come up with a more clear racial slur, that doesn't involve the n word.

Also, let me ask you this, if Taylor really could have plausibly used that insult, in an absence of racial malice, then why should the mayor even resign? If Taylor didn't do anything wrong, or you can't know her heart, then how can you know the mayor's, when she agreed with Taylor? It doesn't make any sense for the mayor to resign, if Taylor didn't do anything intentionally racist.

I agree with most of what you say here, and think it's most likely that she was being straight racist. But that also makes her extremely dumb.

Also, people don't always quit or get fired because they did something wrong. Sometimes the noise gets loud enough that it's not worth it. So I don't find that line of debate especially compelling. (The Wells Fargo CEO saying he wouldn't quit and then quitting 2 days later comes to mind)

When you said "should end the mayor's career", I thought you were making a value judgement, not a prediction, and it didn't make sense given your previous statement. I wasn't making an argument saying she shouldn't quit, but pointing out a logical inconsistency in what I thought you were saying. If it was in fact a prediction, I withdraw the final paragraph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If Greenie is out at Mike and Mike, I'd love it if they just shuffled Golic off to some other corner of ESPN and bring in Kellerman to do that morning show. I dunno if he'd want to do it, but he's legit great at radio, and it's a format I like better than First Take.

• Like 1

Dan asks john wall how many kids he has, asks warren moon about his struggle with alcohol, and deon sanders about a sex addiction. No big deal, funny stuff.

Stugotz misreads a number and dan is offended by stu's lack of respect.

I appreciate that the people wanted to sit in their assigned seats. On the surface, it seems stupid, but what if other people came in and those people that had to sit elsewhere were now in the new people's seats? Anarchy would ensue. I shouldn't be inconvenienced because Dan is disorganized. Although, if it was an empty theater, just sit somewhere else.

Essay, I take your larger point of Dan being a nitpicker, but I would gather it wasn't about that number, it's about Stu's complete and total lack of effort and professionalism. If I had a guess.