Ok, I just took a look at their financial statements. There is a partners' deficit of $61m. Or to put it another way, their liabilities exceed their assets by $61m. If that was the number that everyone was looking at, would there be the same outcry?I'm not going to pretend to actually know their financial situation, but I doubt many of the people who are pissed know either.
I think when you misrepresent your financial situation in any way when you are simultaneously convincing/coercing a city to give you 500 million dollars you get what you get. Is it possible that the Marlins financial situation is not as good as is being made out by some people? Sure. But there is a pattern of lies and half-truths that is hard to ignore with Loria and Samson.The real problem here is Miami-Dade is run by morons who refused to even let the stadium go to a public vote. They gave the Marlins half a billion dollars (which they had to borrow with tons of interest from private entities) without even letting the public vote on it. You can make a very fair argument that the Miami-Dade mayor and county commission are more stupid than Samson and Loria are greedy and deceitful.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AND RICHIE HAS MONSTROUS THIGHS   BE CAREFUL HE'LL GOUGE YOUR EYES   SCREAMS RACIAL SLURS AT BLACK GUYS   but out of love.. but out of love, but out of loooooove

Much like with Christianity, someday after I'm dead, when people are forming a religion around me, there will be a big split between those who don't believe in the literal divinity of my lifestyle and

God I love that Incognito song.

I think when you misrepresent your financial situation in any way when you are simultaneously convincing/coercing a city to give you 500 million dollars you get what you get. Is it possible that the Marlins financial situation is not as good as is being made out by some people? Sure. But there is a pattern of lies and half-truths that is hard to ignore with Loria and Samson.The real problem here is Miami-Dade is run by morons who refused to even let the stadium go to a public vote. They gave the Marlins half a billion dollars (which they had to borrow with tons of interest from private entities) without even letting the public vote on it. You can make a very fair argument that the Miami-Dade mayor and county commission are more stupid than Samson and Loria are greedy and deceitful.
or just got bribd directly by loria.
Of course, they asked. The Marlins refused (citing privacy) and threatened to bolt (even holdings meetings with several cities). Loria and Samson are scum but you can't change the deal now. The people who run Miami are stupid.In what way is it unfair to look at them making a huge profit and question whether they could have added SOME payroll. If you make 38 mill in the same year you unload Miggy Cabrera (who they probably could have signed for 10 mill/year at the time) AND cry poverty, it seems ok to assume they could have kept them if their main goal was not high profits. I think the lying bothers me more than the cheapness but both suck.
I could be wrong, but it looks like they made 30+ million in 2008, but only 4+ million in 2009. It's very possible that they knew that 2008 was up artificially and there is no way they could give Cabrera 10+/ season long term.
Serious question: Is Miami run by dems or repubs? I always think of Florida as a conservative state, but that could be a wrong thought on my part.

I listened to the Samson interview and everything he said made sense and was supported by the financial statements. The James Toney interview was epic.

I could be wrong, but it looks like they made 30+ million in 2008, but only 4+ million in 2009. It's very possible that they knew that 2008 was up artificially and there is no way they could give Cabrera 10+/ season long term.Serious question: Is Miami run by dems or repubs? I always think of Florida as a conservative state, but that could be a wrong thought on my part.
The commissioner's office public chastised them for cheapness in the beginning of 2009 so they upped payroll some. That is the biggest difference. It would have been much better baseball wise to pay Cabrera in 2008 instead of paying others in 2009.....my assumption is without the chastisement they would have continued to keep payroll at 2008 levels.Miami is run by a mix. The government is Cuban heavy and Cubans over 40 are almost all Republicans. But there are enough Dems around.Florida is weird. Heavily conservative in the panhandle and most of northern florida but heavily liberal in Jacksonville, Tampa, Palm Beach county and Broward. Miami is a true mix of Jewish Dems, young people Dems, Cuban Repubs, other hispanic dems and some randoms.
Miami is run by a mix. The government is Cuban heavy and Cubans over 40 are almost all Republicans. But there are enough Dems around.Florida is weird. Heavily conservative in the panhandle and most of northern florida but heavily liberal in Jacksonville, Tampa, Palm Beach county and Broward. Miami is a true mix of Jewish Dems, young people Dems, Cuban Repubs, other hispanic dems and some randoms.
Oh, the black man don't vote in miami, huh?
Oh, the black man don't vote in miami, huh?
The reality is that the black population of Miami is very poor and confined to two rough areas, Overtown and Liberty City. They vote a lot for House reps and state legislators from their area but you don't hear about the black vote swinging much in Miami for a reason.....they are the smallest of the three main groups in Miami by a wide margin and they don't get out the vote much in national races.
I listened to the Samson interview and everything he said made sense and was supported by the financial statements.
I just heard it and agree 100%. I really like Samson.
I just heard it and agree 100%. I really like Samson.
Ugh. In Miami, he is the most hated guy in sports ainec. Everyone I know who works for the Marlins hates his guts. That must have been some interview.
Ugh. In Miami, he is the most hated guy in sports ainec. Everyone I know who works for the Marlins hates his guts. That must have been some interview.
Forget the interview. What is it about these financial statements that is worthy of anger?
Forget the interview. What is it about these financial statements that is worthy of anger?
Basically, they said they were losing money when they were in fact making money. It's not any deeper than that. It is also against the rules of baseball to pocket revenue sharing money which is what they did.
Basically, they said they were losing money when they were in fact making money. It's not any deeper than that.
But they were losing money. They have a deficit of $60m.If a poker player is down $100 overall and then his next session wins $40, is he a winning poker player?

Oh, I see you've edited.

It is also against the rules of baseball to pocket revenue sharing money which is what they did.
What makes you think they were pocketing money? The cash flow statements show that more money was going out than coming in.
Oh, I see you've edited.What makes you think they were pocketing money? The cash flow statements show that more money was going out than coming in.
The fact that Bud Selig publicly admonished them to spend more. He is not exactly Mr. Hands-On.Also don't you always incur debt with a pro sports team that you make back when you sell the team? I wish I knew more about finance.
The fact that Bud Selig publicly admonished them to spend more. He is not exactly Mr. Hands-On.Also don't you always incur debt with a pro sports team that you make back when you sell the team? I wish I knew more about finance.
Ok, but that's separate from this current issue and something I haven't read about, so I don't really have an opinion on it.Sports franchises go up in value. But I don't think that's a license to just overspend wildly, especially if you want to keep the team long-term.
Ok, but that's separate from this current issue and something I haven't read about, so I don't really have an opinion on it.Sports franchises go up in value. But I don't think that's a license to just overspend wildly, especially if you want to keep the team long-term.
I did not hear the interview but I do know that the Marlins have a terrible lease at Dolphins Stadium so maybe that factors in. He is also a rude slimeball but again that is besides the point. All I know is you don't trade Miguel Cabrera and you definitely don't do it in a year when you make almost 40 millions dollars. If they lost money for all of 2002-2007, they should open the books and say so.....I might be inclined to re-think my position.
Okay, but Major league baseball and the player's union fined them for not spending and forced them to spend more money. That's a completely unprecedented move. If were the yankees, and I saw the way my profit sharing was being straight pocketed by florida and other minor league teams, I'd be furious.