Sng Grinder Thread

Based on chip count, i I think it was an 18
I guarantee you it was a 45. I didn't feel like playing any more 18 mans because I was running pretty horrible in them, so I played a few 45 man's and that was in one of them. That fold really bothers me now too since I bubbled it.
  • Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee you it was a 45. I didn't feel like playing any more 18 mans because I was running pretty horrible in them, so I played a few 45 man's and that was in one of them. That fold really bothers me now too since I bubbled it.
I think you are confusing yourself. The KTs hand you shoved was an 18 man (the hand i was referring to), the JTs fold was a 45 man :club:
Oh the JTs is an easy fold regardless.
I think you are confusing yourself. The KTs hand you shoved was an 18 man (the hand i was referring to), the JTs fold was a 45 man :club:
I am confusing myself. I thought we were talking about the JTs hand...

I keep telling myself that this is a call every time in a .25 45-man. Even though as soon as he shoved I thought he had a straight, but just as easily he could have had any 2 pair, lower set or Ax being that it was an un-raised pot. I have a couple questions though. Should I be raising this preflop? I think I shouldn't be since we will be out of position postflop. Also, is the sizing of my bets on all streets good? feral_cow_icon.gifCows play poker with cow chipsPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($0.25+$0.00) t15/t30 - 9 playersMP2: t3,190 HJ: t3,330 CO: t1,395 Button: t1,495 SB: t1,055 BB: t1,355 (Hero)UTG: t890 UTG+1: t1,015 MP: t1,025 Preflop: (t45) Hero is BB with 9s.gif9h.gif (9 players)4 folds, HJ calls t30, CO folds, Button calls t30, SB calls t15, Hero checksFlop: (t120) Ah.gif9d.gif6c.gif (4 players)SB checks, Hero bets t60, HJ calls t60, Button folds, SB calls t60Turn: (t300) 4s.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets t180, HJ calls t180, SB foldsRiver: (t660) 5s.gif (2 players)Hero bets t300, HJ raises to t3060 and is all-in, Hero calls t785 and is all-in

How did you handle playing the 1.75s? I seem to be having quite a few problems. I usually get to like the top 6 at least, but I keep getting called down light, and if I am shoving a wide range I don't really want to be called, but even when I am shoving only premium hands, since I get called so often I eventually get beaten by a 3 outer or something and get eliminated. If I play too aggressively that's what happens, but if I tighten up I get blinded down, and I am having trouble finding a balance.I have like a $1100 bankroll I built up playing on another site, with 450$ left there and 600 ready to be deposited anywhere, and only like 50$ on stars. I just want to get used to playing SNG's before I start moving up.
Without knowing how many games you've played, it could certainly be variance. Also, it's hard for me to guess about your ability. Heck, I'm not even sure about my ability yet. I think I've improved a lot, but all I have are results to measure by. But anyway, your bankroll standards should be based on your ability. If you have a 5% ROI you should have 100+ buy-ins in your bankroll. If it's 20%, you're probably good with 30-40 buy-ins. But calculating your ROI accurately means playing lots and lots of games, so don't automatically assume it's 20%.Anyway, TAG (tight aggressive) play usually wins the lower stakes. Don't try to get too fancy, or you're just going to get out-drawn. The 1.75's are full of donkeys (which is good!), but over time, you'll come out ahead. But yeah, don't be surprised to see them draw to an inside straight every now and then. DON'T GO ON TILT! Keep an even head. I used to say "Thanks for the calls" when the call-stations would call me down with bottom pair and hit trips on the river. It's an insult, but they're probably not smart enough to get it. It kept me from getting tilty, though. LOLAlso, understand short-handed play. A lot of players are way too tight when it's down to 10-12 players. Loosen up a lot, try to steal some blinds when they get 150+. Put in small opening raises in position, and if they shove, just fold (maybe let them think you're considering calling). When the table breaks (combines?) tighten back up until it gets down to 5-6 players again. Don't be too afraid of bubbling. I bubble a lot, and sometimes it really sucks. But aggressive play on the bubble can often get you a lot of chips that could mean the difference between 1st place and 4th place. One 1st place finish is equal to four 4th place finishes. If you shove and they call you're still generally 30% to double up, and if that doubles you to 5,000 chips, you're probably in contention for at least a 2nd place finish. The neat thing about the 18p tourneys is that 2nd place still pays well. In the STT's, if you don't hit 1st place very often, it's almost impossible to be profitable.That's just my advice, but always understand that you should adjust your game depending on your opponents. If everyone is shove-happy on the bubble, wait for a premium hand. If they're super tight, get loose.I think a lot of that advice is pretty generic, but hopefully not bad.
Oops. I fixed it.(Didn't mean to post without typing anything in...) :club:
You would think that would be one of the things you would remember...Anyways, I don't tilt. I type in caps @ people in MSN to control that :)I do play pretty tight (not too tight though), and double up quite a few times due to light calls, but eventually one always gets me and its often before the bubble. Even if I am deeper, it means I have to shove wider and then someone calls me with 22 or A2o or something and eliminates me. I went from 0 to +40ish to -3 in 100 tournaments. The high point being around 65 or 70 in, and then steadily losing and getting 4thplace finishes from there to 100.
You would think that would be one of the things you would remember...Anyways, I don't tilt. I type in caps @ people in MSN to control that :)I do play pretty tight (not too tight though), and double up quite a few times due to light calls, but eventually one always gets me and its often before the bubble. Even if I am deeper, it means I have to shove wider and then someone calls me with 22 or A2o or something and eliminates me. I went from 0 to +40ish to -3 in 100 tournaments. The high point being around 65 or 70 in, and then steadily losing and getting 4thplace finishes from there to 100.
100 is still a relatively small sample size, but we're getting there... :-) 500 should give you a pretty good indication. There was a thread somewhere around here regarding grinding the 180's. IIRC, to get a really good idea of your ROI within a couple percentage points in those, you're probably talking about 10,000! LOL! That's more tournaments than I've played. Period. So, without trying to figure out any complex formula's, 500 is probably good to within 5%, I would guess.
100 is still a relatively small sample size, but we're getting there... :-) 500 should give you a pretty good indication. There was a thread somewhere around here regarding grinding the 180's. IIRC, to get a really good idea of your ROI within a couple percentage points in those, you're probably talking about 10,000! LOL! That's more tournaments than I've played. Period. So, without trying to figure out any complex formula's, 500 is probably good to within 5%, I would guess.
Oh I am not saying 100 is enough at all, but I am still unsure if I am playing poorly, or just running bad, so I am probably going to go back to playing cash games until I can get my friend to sweat me and give me feedback.

hey guys,been reading through this thread and figured here is the place it ask. I have been playing the 18 or 27 man turbos and SUP on FTP. I notice a lot of you play on pokerstars. Is it better to play there cause there are more micro limits or at the range does it really matter. I know I need to start posting some hands here to get your guys help but just reading your guys thoughts on others hands has really made me re-think some of the things I have done. Thanks in advance.edit: forgot to mention that I do have rakeback on FTP. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I keep telling myself that this is a call every time in a .25 45-man. Even though as soon as he shoved I thought he had a straight, but just as easily he could have had any 2 pair, lower set or Ax being that it was an un-raised pot. I have a couple questions though. Should I be raising this preflop? I think I shouldn't be since we will be out of position postflop. Also, is the sizing of my bets on all streets good?
Raise preflop? I wouldn't. You're out of position the rest of the hand and there's a lot of flops that make it extremely tricky postflop. That said, if I'm in a later position, I'll raise this every time (just in case you're not doing that now).I like to bet about 60% of the pot on the flop, but here the difference is negligible. I'd bet 200 on the turn as well....but again, small differences. It's not bad, for sure.
Bet more on flop!As played you lose a ton of value, a larget flop bet means a larger turn bet and a much larger riverbet, you can easilly make it close to 100 here without getting much more FE. As played you're never ever folding that river in a $0.25 45.
feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t100/t200 ante t25 - 8 playersHJ: t1,400 CO: t3,545 Button: t3,910 (Hero)SB: t900 BB: t3,935 UTG: t2,345 UTG+1: t8,935 MP: t8,895 Preflop: (t500) Hero is Button with 9d.gif9c.gif (8 players)5 folds, Hero raises to t3885 and is all-in, SB folds, BB calls t3685Flop: (t8,070) 5s.gifQs.gif2d.gif (2 players)Turn: (t8,070) 3h.gif (2 players)River: (t8,070) Qc.gif (2 players)Should I be shoving this if I were in early or middle position?

August 2010 Goals:-Play 120 games(.25 90 mans). I want to set it kind of low to get a feel of how many I can play because with the wife/kids sometimes putting in sessions can be difficult.*Well, half passed this one. Got the volume but didn't stick to the .25 45/90s like I should be-Profit*-3....again should have stuck with the .25 games-Be rolled for the 1.40 KO 90-mans by the end of Aug. if not sooner.Fail-Post more hands and get involved in more strat discussions. I tend to feel intimidated getting involved in discussion since I am a micro sng player icon_confused.gif .*Definitely reading more strat and posted some hands for discussion....kind of meh on that though since there aren't many tough spots at the stakes I play.-Be playing on my own dime. My stake started at $22 and the plan is to split $75/$45 when I hit $122. Currently at $39.*Fail, almost back where I started August.....feels bad but on a positive note I was down almost 15 for a while in August.AUGUST RESULTSRakeMyBlind 171 $0 $1 37% -$3 - N/A PokerStars 8/1/2010 8/31/2010 SNG Only xaugust2010graph.pngGOALS FOR SEPTEMBER-120 games(going low since I'll be on vacation Sept. 3-8)-Profit-Don't check Sharkscope/OPR/Cashier at the end of every session.-ONLY PLAY .25 45/90 and the 10pm .25 mtt-Be off my stake by OctoberGood Luck everybody.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a good thread to read from 2+2 regarding fear in sngs. It's def a joke for those of you who have a sense of first grade logic.http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/36/stt-s...s-tl-dr-874057/
FYP.This excerpt is bullshit:Simple example:Blinds 200/400UTG 3000 – Fearful RecreationalBTN 3000 – Sh*t NitSB 3500 – HeroBB 4000 – SNG StudDealt to Hero: [32o]. 2 folds. Hero Folds.Why?Yes, this is a -EV push with everything over about a 13.5% BB calling range (0.00 Edge)Yes, the BB is the only one who can bust you.Yes, if you bust you will look stupid.Yes, last time you pushed in this spot the BB had AA.Yes, you’ve bubbled your last dozen SNGs.Scaredy cat…Playing devils advocate, yes- the BB is a good player and likely knows you should be shipping it wide here and will adjust his calling range accordingly. But how many GOOD players will realistically look down at 44 or A8o (bottom of the 13.5% range) and call off nearly all of their stack and equity? Few. Which makes this spot even more attractive.Still many players would pass on this spot, walking the BB who now becomes the clear chip leader. Giving a competent reg a chip lead with high blinds and scared opponents is like giving a 15-year old girl your credit card at the Abercrombie outlet store. In both cases, THEY’LL run it up and it ultimately costs YOU in the end.Cast your fear aside. Shove. Grab the chip lead yourself and reek havoc.---------------Why is it bullshit? Because if in front of you is a fearful recreational and a nit, you're probably going to get walked this orbit, or be able to find a much better spot against them in the next 2 hands than a BVB spot with the reg behind you who knows what he's doing and isn't a nit with 23o. Or go ahead, shove 23o and be a psychobox. Guy is a dumbass, ignore that thread.EDIT: The part about giving the competent reg chips etc etc etc is also bullshit. Competent reg with chips means he will blind down the other two at the table since they are behind him to act on his button and he's UTG on your BB. Even if the guy is a decent reg the fact that he comes up with such a bullshit example which is so fundamentally flawed makes him a dumbass.
FYP.This excerpt is bullshit:Why is it bullshit? Because if in front of you is a fearful recreational and a nit, you're probably going to get walked this orbit, or be able to find a much better spot against them in the next 2 hands than a BVB spot with the reg behind you who knows what he's doing and isn't a nit with 23o. Or go ahead, shove 23o and be a psychobox. Guy is a dumbass, ignore that thread.EDIT: The part about giving the competent reg chips etc etc etc is also bullshit. Competent reg with chips means he will blind down the other two at the table since they are behind him to act on his button and he's UTG on your BB. Even if the guy is a decent reg the fact that he comes up with such a bullshit example which is so fundamentally flawed makes him a dumbass.
ty for this. I was in the same exact situation, liking his post and it's theory, in general, but really not getting this example. This makes me feel good about my own play at current.