Sng Grinder Thread

@jmbreslinHand #1 i jam pre. if we are in a little later position (co or btn) we can still open, tho a jam is always profitable in this spot.Hand #2 insta jam pre and insta throw mouse when i lose flip. :club:

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iirc shoving can ALWAYS run you into QQ-AA.
LOL, of course. What I meant was that I wasn't sure if shoving JJ was +ev against his range. The limited info I have on him thus far suggests loose passive, so his raising range is going to be on the tighter side. In a regular SnG I'd probably ship with only a slight hesitation, but the satty structure of the steps made me question this one more deeply.As for hand 1, my stack is in a very awkward spot with ~15bb. Open-shoving seems a bit on the heavy-handed side, but standard raising gets me into precisely this difficult spot when called.
  • 2 weeks later...

Figured this might be the best place to ask, and I apologize if it's been covered here or elsewhere already.How many buy-ins is suitable for a nonturbo 90 man for the casual sng player?

Figured this might be the best place to ask, and I apologize if it's been covered here or elsewhere already.How many buy-ins is suitable for a nonturbo 90 man for the casual sng player?
No turbos, I'd say you could prob get by with 50-75, as long as you're willing to drop in stakes if needed or reload. I'd prob go with 100+

would this be a normal shove for the sng grinder's? it's from a single table steps sng, top 5 get at least a step 1 ticket again, so good there, i'm just curious if it would be played the same as a $5.50 single table or whateverFull Tilt Poker Game #20744277927: Step 1 (Turbo) (159601845), Table 1 - 150/300 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:52:57 ET - 2010/05/10Seat 2: Abby Kline (3,170)Seat 3: detectorrs (2,390)Seat 7: coug28 (1,915)Seat 8: pdellaun (6,025)coug28 posts the small blind of 150pdellaun posts the big blind of 300The button is in seat #6*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to coug28 [5c Ks]Abby Kline foldsdetectorrs foldscoug28 raises to 1,915, and is all inpdellaun foldsUncalled bet of 1,615 returned to coug28coug28 muckscoug28 wins the pot (600)

would this be a normal shove for the sng grinder's? it's from a single table steps sng, top 5 get at least a step 1 ticket again, so good there, i'm just curious if it would be played the same as a $5.50 single table or whateverFull Tilt Poker Game #20744277927: Step 1 (Turbo) (159601845), Table 1 - 150/300 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:52:57 ET - 2010/05/10Seat 2: Abby Kline (3,170)Seat 3: detectorrs (2,390)Seat 7: coug28 (1,915)Seat 8: pdellaun (6,025)coug28 posts the small blind of 150pdellaun posts the big blind of 300The button is in seat #6*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to coug28 [5c Ks]Abby Kline foldsdetectorrs foldscoug28 raises to 1,915, and is all inpdellaun foldsUncalled bet of 1,615 returned to coug28coug28 muckscoug28 wins the pot (600)
Get it in as fast as possible
Get it in as fast as possible
is there anything you're not shoving with there?and on the flip side, what do you call with if you're the guy in the bb? i feel like i should be calling with a pretty big range there...is that stupid?
is there anything you're not shoving with there?and on the flip side, what do you call with if you're the guy in the bb? i feel like i should be calling with a pretty big range there...is that stupid?
He has a big stack so he might be calling wide. Without reads, given these stack sizes I might gamble a lot of my range in the BB here (any pair, j10s+). I'm shoving a huge range in the sb here, almost atc. Not really shoving 52o but almost everything goes in here bvb in the sb.

Bubble of a 9 man SNG.Too much? Should I just check behind?Villain was 12/3PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 75/150 Blinds (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton (t2745)SB (t1579)Hero (BB) (t6549)UTG (t2627)Hero's M: 29.11Preflop: Hero is BB with 7 :club:, 6 :ts2 folds, SB calls t75, Hero bets t6549 (All-In)

in game i pry just check behind but i dont think shoving is really terrible either. you dont see the limp to induce a shove to much at these levels

in game i pry just check behind but i dont think shoving is really terrible either. you dont see the limp to induce a shove to much at these levels
disagree i've been getting it a lot, it's rearing it's ugly head again especially if you're aggressive.check behind, we're shoving back Q9+, 22+ tho.
  • 2 months later...

Time to bump this bad boy... I moved up to 3.30 10 man turbos but hit a very bad downswing after a great start, I will probably move back down soon to preserve the bankroll. Two questions here.1) What's my range of calling hands here, is it ATC (this spot I obviously called)?2) Why didn't I berate this d-bag until I got chat banned for the retarded time bank?feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($3.00+$0.40) t75/t150 - 7 playersCO: t1,535 Button: t1,015 SB: t4,540 BB: t770 (Hero)UTG: t2,865 UTG+1: t1,300 HJ: t2,975 Preflop: (t225) Hero is BB with 7s.gif7d.gif (7 players)5 folds, SB Time BanksSB raises to t600, Hero raises to t770 and is all-in, SB calls t170Flop: (t1,540) 3d.gifJc.gif3s.gif (2 players)Turn: (t1,540) 9h.gif (2 players)River: (t1,540) Qs.gif (2 players)SB showed Ad.gifAs.gif, and won (1540) with two pair, Aces and ThreesHero showed 7s.gif7d.gif, and lost with two pair, Sevens and ThreesSB won t1540

• 4 weeks later...

I am somewhat new. I have been playing since around march, but I was busy with moving and a few other things so I haven't been playing much. When I have been playing, I have been playing cash games on some fishy site, but I don't feel I am improving much there. My goal is to improve as much as possible (without losing obviously), and profiting is a bonus.I thought I would start out playing SnG's, and I have a few questions.feral_cow_icon.gifMoooooooooooraaawwwr.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t50/t100 ante t10 - 9 playersHJ: t3,245 CO: t730 (Hero)Button: t1,070 SB: t1,565 BB: t1,780 UTG: t1,655 UTG+1: t1,660 MP: t1,335 MP2: t1,960 Preflop: (t240) Hero is CO with :jh:heart: (9 players)5 folds, Hero raises to t720 and is all-in, 3 foldsHero collected t340Was this too loose of a shove? I felt it was good at the time, but after thinking about it, I wasn't so sure... This was in a double or nothing turbo, so the players are pretty tight...feral_cow_icon.gifConverted by the cows of Feral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.25) t200/t400 ante t50 - 3 playersSB: t2,634 BB: t5,201 (Hero)Button: t5,665 Preflop: (t750) Hero is BB with :club: :club: (3 players)Button folds, SB raises to t1200, Hero calls t800Flop: (t2,550) :qc:(:3h (2 players)SB bets t1384 and is all-in, Hero calls t1384Turn: (t5,318) :D (2 players)River: (t5,318) :4h (2 players)SB showed :3h:5c, and won (5318) with two pair, Kings and FivesHero showed :club: :club:, and lost with two pair, Kings and ThreesSB won t5318Should I be making this call 100% of the time? Or was I lucky that he had low pockets giving me a chance to hit with my 2 overcards?feral_cow_icon.gifConverted by a herd of feral cowsPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($2.00+$0.20) t300/t600 ante t50 - 8 playersHJ: t3,360 CO: t12,733 Button: t7,700 SB: t4,472 BB: t8,955 (Hero)UTG: t2,411 UTG+1: t11,865 MP: t5,275 Preflop: (t1,300) Hero is BB with :heart::club: (8 players)3 folds, HJ raises to t3310 and is all-in, 2 folds, SB calls t3010, Hero foldsFlop: (t7,620) :ts:club::D (2 players)Turn: (t7,620) :3d (2 players)River: (t7,620) :4h (2 players)HJ showed :club: :club:, and won (7620) with a pair of AcesSB showed :club::7s, and lost with a pair of NinesHJ won t7620I was going to call until the SB did. If SB had folded, should I have made the call, or was I wrong in thinking that?feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($2.00+$0.20) t800/t1600 ante t150 - 8 playersHJ: t46,482 CO: t59,605 Button: t37,984 SB: t13,085 (Hero)BB: t11,826 UTG: t25,163 UTG+1: t58,425 MP: t17,430 Preflop: (t3,600) Hero is SB with :qh:club: (8 players)5 folds, Button calls t1600, Hero raises to t12935 and is all-in, BB folds, Button calls t11335Flop: (t28,670) :heart::club::D (2 players)Turn: (t28,670) :ts (2 players)River: (t28,670) :heart: (2 players)Button showed :club::D, and won (28670) with two pair, Aces and EightsHero showed :jh:club:, and lost with two pair, Eights and ThreesButton won t28670This was the final table of my 2.20 180 man turbo, should I be shoving this every time?feral_cow_icon.gifMoooooooooooraaawwwr.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($2.00+$0.20) t200/t400 ante t50 - 9 playersHJ: t16,348 CO: t9,805 (Hero)Button: t12,925 SB: t12,370 BB: t12,445 UTG: t35,310 UTG+1: t19,814 MP: t6,745 MP2: t20,365 Preflop: (t1,050) Hero is CO with :club::D (9 players)3 folds, MP2 raises to t1200, HJ folds, Hero calls t1200, 2 folds, BB calls t800Flop: (t4,250) :5c:angry::( (3 players)BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checksTurn: (t4,250) :qh (3 players)BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checksRiver: (t4,250) :club: (3 players)BB checks, MP2 bets t1600, Hero calls t1600, BB foldsHero showed :club::D, and won (7450) with a pair of DeucesMP2 showed :D:club:, and lost with a pair of DeucesHero won t7450Should I have just shoved this preflop, or played it like I did and folded on the flop? Or was it fine?feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t75/t150 ante t15 - 6 playersCO: t2,063 Button: t3,490 (Hero)SB: t1,810 BB: t2,239 UTG: t1,697 UTG+1: t3,701 Preflop: (t315) Hero is Button with :D:club: (6 players)3 folds, Hero raises to t3475 and is all-in, 2 foldsHero collected t465Bubble on a double or nothing turbo, is this the right thing to do in this situation?Sorry that I posted so many hands and asked so many questions. I have an idea of what to do in my head, but I want to make sure that idea isn't way off and I'm going to lose a lot... Making mistakes helps you learn, but knowing you're not making them is nice too :angry:

Aaaah so many hands! But that's good :club: Let me see if I can help any.Hand 1 I like your shove, we don't have many chips left and I think J9s is a great hand to shove here because we normally have good equity if we're called.Hand 2, firstly try not to post results with your hand history as it may influence other people's thinking. Anyway I think the real decision point of this hand is preflop. Villain here commits half his stack preflop and we're only flat calling. Really we just want to be going all in and letting him call for the rest of his chips if we planned on calling. This stops us losing value sometimes when we may be ahead. That said ICM may dictate that we should fold the QJ pre due to the stacksizes, I probably wouldn't fold because we have a strong hand 3 handed but both you and the Button are quite close in chips and then the small blind is quite some way behind, so I think we do need to consider how it affects our chance of winning/coming 2nd here if we fold pre or go all-in.Hand 3 I like your plan to call if the small blind didn't, wp :)Hand 4 I think shoving is okay, he could be a habitual limp/folder but most of the time players like this limp and then call your shove anyway and they often do it with small pocket pairs and weak aces (like A5s). That said if he folds you pick up 5,200 chips without seeing a flop and if he calls you're going to be racing a lot (like you were here) and if you win you boost your stack all the way up to 28k or so.Hand 5 I think shoving preflop is a lot better here than flat calling because AQ generally won't play super well postflop with really shallow stacks, especially multiway if the button or blinds decides to overcall. When we shove pre the raiser can definitely call you with worse and even if you get folds you increase your stack by over 20%. As played I like your line, sometimes I call river, sometimes I fold it.Hand 6 I've never really played Double or Nothing sngs so I'm not entirely sure what the best line is here. I think shoving is okay, but if the UTG+1 stack was in the blinds then I'd be folding. With our stack we're almost guaranteed a seat so it can be correct to fold aces in certain spots in these.Hope that helped :ts

Aaaah so many hands! But that's good :ts Let me see if I can help any.Hand 1 I like your shove, we don't have many chips left and I think J9s is a great hand to shove here because we normally have good equity if we're called.Hand 2, firstly try not to post results with your hand history as it may influence other people's thinking. Anyway I think the real decision point of this hand is preflop. Villain here commits half his stack preflop and we're only flat calling. Really we just want to be going all in and letting him call for the rest of his chips if we planned on calling. This stops us losing value sometimes when we may be ahead. That said ICM may dictate that we should fold the QJ pre due to the stacksizes, I probably wouldn't fold because we have a strong hand 3 handed but both you and the Button are quite close in chips and then the small blind is quite some way behind, so I think we do need to consider how it affects our chance of winning/coming 2nd here if we fold pre or go all-in.Hand 3 I like your plan to call if the small blind didn't, wp :)Hand 4 I think shoving is okay, he could be a habitual limp/folder but most of the time players like this limp and then call your shove anyway and they often do it with small pocket pairs and weak aces (like A5s). That said if he folds you pick up 5,200 chips without seeing a flop and if he calls you're going to be racing a lot (like you were here) and if you win you boost your stack all the way up to 28k or so.Hand 5 I think shoving preflop is a lot better here than flat calling because AQ generally won't play super well postflop with really shallow stacks, especially multiway if the button or blinds decides to overcall. When we shove pre the raiser can definitely call you with worse and even if you get folds you increase your stack by over 20%. As played I like your line, sometimes I call river, sometimes I fold it.Hand 6 I've never really played Double or Nothing sngs so I'm not entirely sure what the best line is here. I think shoving is okay, but if the UTG+1 stack was in the blinds then I'd be folding. With our stack we're almost guaranteed a seat so it can be correct to fold aces in certain spots in these.Hope that helped :4h
Thanks for your reply, makes me think I'm on the right track.The thing about hand 6 is that in these, everyone plays pretty tight. People with 2BB sometimes less steal from the button or SB because the BB will just fold waiting for others to get eliminated, since 1st through 5th get the same prize, it makes me crazy...Also, yeah, sorry about the results. I was in a hurry and just found them in my .txt and threw them here and left. Plus I had one question directly to related to the results :club: I wont do it again! I swear!!!

I thought I would play 2 tournaments before I had to get ready for Hockey. Came 12th in one, and 5th in the other, where someone told me I had mental problems for shoving AKs with 7BB, I guess I have a lot to learn :3hferal_cow_icon.gifMoooooooooooraaawwwr.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t100/t200 - 6 playersCO: t2,215 Button: t4,650 SB: t2,950 BB: t2,815 (Hero)UTG: t3,030 UTG+1: t2,620 Preflop: (t300) Hero is BB with :5c:ts (6 players)4 folds, SB calls t100, Hero raises to t2815 and is all-inWas this a good move? Or too risky? I felt he was limping from SB with almost any 2.feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t1000/t2000 ante t100 - 5 playersButton: t14,540 SB: t8,828 (Hero)BB: t20,030 UTG: t15,704 CO: t8,398 Preflop: (t3,500) Hero is SB with :4h:club: (5 players)UTG folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero raises to t8728 and is all-inShould I have folded and waited for a better hand? BB is the chip leader, which I didn't take into account at the time.

I can't see how the QJ hand isn't just a get it in pre. I don't thimnk I'm folding 2 big cards here without a really good reason.92o is a spew. Right idea, way too loose.Q3o seems okay almost always given other stack sizes.

I can't see how the QJ hand isn't just a get it in pre. I don't thimnk I'm folding 2 big cards here without a really good reason.92o is a spew. Right idea, way too loose.Q3o seems okay almost always given other stack sizes.
Yeah, after I press the all-in button, I thought "what am I going to beat if he calls with 92o". At least it was the right idea, and I'm not doing something completely absurd. I just need to think things through a bit more before I act.Thanks for the feedback :club:
No turbos, I'd say you could prob get by with 50-75, as long as you're willing to drop in stakes if needed or reload. I'd prob go with 100+
lol nit!

I was just playing a tournament on a random site I play on, and I had a few questions. Sorry I cant convert hand histories (and there is one I can't find)First of all, the reason I came 2nd is because of a suckout, and I am unsure about it. Sorry I don't know the exact details, which are somewhat necessary, but this is the best I can do.We are all shortstacked, like 6-10 BB, and someone with a decent stacked raised, and another reraised. I had AKo in button and I thought about it because we were just on the bubble, but I figured I would play it. They turned over TT and KK and I turned an Ace. Would I have been wrong to make that fold there against two people? I figured best case scenario is atleast 1 pocket pair and I didn't really feel like a flip.My other question is this.Seat 0: jap1811 (566900.00 in Chips)Seat 5: Raawwrr (171600.00 in Chips)Raawwrr: Posts big blind 30000.00.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt To Raawwrr [10S JH]jap1811: Raises 105000.00.Raawwrr: Reraises 141600.00 and is All In.jap1811: Calls 51600.00.*** SUMMARY ***Total Pot 343200.00 | Rake 0.00Seat 0: jap1811 (Button) showed [3H 2D AH 4D 5H ] and won (343200.00)Seat 5: Raawwrr (Big Blind) showed [10S JH ] and lost.We had just gone heads up on the final table, and he immediately raised huge, so I figured he didn't have much and shoved, he was clearly committed and called. Was I wrong in doing so? He had 45o and happened to flop the nuts, so it turned out poorly, but should I have folded or played it like I did. I mean, I had like 4 BB so it seemed like i had no choice.Oh well I still won 190$ although the 320 first prize would have been nice :club: It was kind of like insult to injury that after he flopped the nuts, I got running tens...I am also unsure about something. When blinds are 25/50 in the early stages of a turbo, should I be raising 4x with my AK to hit something, or should I just be shoving it that early?