Sng Grinder Thread

Hey everyone! Noob to the board here.I am happy to see a thread like this as I love playing SNG's and I'm attempting to build my BR in 2010. I'm starting out at $30 and I'm looking to build it up as high as I can. I don't have a ton of time to play so I'm not setting any time limits. My ultimate goal would be to build my BR to play $11 and $22 SnG's. 45 man tourneys are my bread and butter and I'm currently grinding the $.25 SnG's on Pokerstars. I'm looking at moving up levels when I reach 40-50 BI's. I will move down when necessary. I'm staying away from turbos because I suck at them. I know the rake sucks at $1.20 but I can't wait to get there. These quarter tourneys are killing me! :club:
GL... Ill be loading up with 100 tomorrow to start the grind. Goal short term is to become a winning player.
  • Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey anyone know anything about vgreen22(i think) i was watching him 30 table last night playing mostly 18 player turbos anywhere from 25-60$ buy ins he was killing it.

Hey everyone! Noob to the board here.I am happy to see a thread like this as I love playing SNG's and I'm attempting to build my BR in 2010. I'm starting out at $30 and I'm looking to build it up as high as I can. I don't have a ton of time to play so I'm not setting any time limits. My ultimate goal would be to build my BR to play $11 and $22 SnG's. 45 man tourneys are my bread and butter and I'm currently grinding the $.25 SnG's on Pokerstars. I'm looking at moving up levels when I reach 40-50 BI's. I will move down when necessary. I'm staying away from turbos because I suck at them. I know the rake sucks at $1.20 but I can't wait to get there. These quarter tourneys are killing me! :club:
Welcome to the board. The dollar tourneys will kill you too once you get to them.
GL... Ill be loading up with 100 tomorrow to start the grind. Goal short term is to become a winning player.
Yeah that's a given. I'm really trying to learn this game. Goal is to be a winning player both short term and long term. :club:
Good luck. You play regular speed 45's? Man that must be painful. Once you get a taste of turbos you'll wonder how you ever had the patience for regular SnGs. I prefer regulars myself but you can play twice as many turbos in the same time.
Turbos are too much gambling and not enough real strategy, IMO. I'm not on a time table and this is all for fun for me so I can handle the regular speed. I'm afraid if I play turbos, I'll just lose my money twice as fast! :)I've played STT's, 18's and 27's and I suck at them.
Turbos are too much gambling and not enough real strategy, IMO. I'm not on a time table and this is all for fun for me so I can handle the regular speed. I'm afraid if I play turbos, I'll just lose my money twice as fast! :)I've played STT's, 18's and 27's and I suck at them.
you should watch the video lurbz posted in this thread it was really informative for me....

First hand, with JJ this early how do you play it? I always feel wierd post-flop with JJ unless the board is low. Should I set-mine JJ this early? Standard 3-bet? Shove? Normally I opt for the standard 3-bet, but is this play the best? PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.25 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) (t1500)Button (t1580)SB (t1420)BB (t1500)UTG (t1500)MP (t1500)Hero's M: 50.00Preflop: Hero is CO with Jheart.gif, Jdiamond.gif1 fold, MP bets t80, Hero raises to t240This 2nd hand is another situation I need help on. Should I even be play A9 this early? If so, as played is this bet/fold or check/fold considering how many people are in this pot? I just shut down with 3 callers and check/folded the flop.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.25 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) (t1580)Button (t1875)SB (t1330)BB (t1295)UTG (t110)MP (t2810)Hero's M: 35.11Preflop: Hero is CO with Aclub.gif, 9diamond.gif2 folds, Hero bets t90, Button calls t90, SB calls t75, BB calls t60Flop: (t360) 10club.gif, 7club.gif, 5diamond.gif(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, Hero ???Also, I :club: this thread!

Please go somewhere else if you're going to not read the thread, post irrelevant content, and then post with an inflammatory attitude like this. The group was not having a problem with unconverted preflop HHs, everyone isn't going to change what was working to accommodate you. The question at hand is perfectly clear.With that said I'm through with the matter, and moving on to strat again.
1. I have read the thread (every post in fact).2. I have posted content (you are entitled to your opinion about relevancy).3. My "inflammatory attitude" was in response to your post.4. Convert or don't convert, it was just a suggestion. I think it would be worthwhile to do it.5. Sorry if you thought if it was wrong of me to ask for more information.6. With that said, I'm also through with the matter.
First hand, with JJ this early how do you play it? I always feel wierd post-flop with JJ unless the board is low. Should I set-mine JJ this early? Standard 3-bet? Shove? Normally I opt for the standard 3-bet, but is this play the best? PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.25 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) (t1500)Button (t1580)SB (t1420)BB (t1500)UTG (t1500)MP (t1500)Hero's M: 50.00Preflop: Hero is CO with Jheart.gif, Jdiamond.gif1 fold, MP bets t80, Hero raises to t240This 2nd hand is another situation I need help on. Should I even be play A9 this early? If so, as played is this bet/fold or check/fold considering how many people are in this pot? I just shut down with 3 callers and check/folded the flop.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.25 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) (t1580)Button (t1875)SB (t1330)BB (t1295)UTG (t110)MP (t2810)Hero's M: 35.11Preflop: Hero is CO with Aclub.gif, 9diamond.gif2 folds, Hero bets t90, Button calls t90, SB calls t75, BB calls t60Flop: (t360) 10club.gif, 7club.gif, 5diamond.gif(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, Hero ???Also, I :club: this thread!
I would flat with JJ this early.Fold A9 for sure this early. It's a hand that will more likely get you in trouble than win you money.
I would flat with JJ this early.Fold A9 for sure this early. It's a hand that will more likely get you in trouble than win you money.
This.
First hand, with JJ this early how do you play it? I always feel wierd post-flop with JJ unless the board is low. Should I set-mine JJ this early? Standard 3-bet? Shove? Normally I opt for the standard 3-bet, but is this play the best? PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.25 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (CO) (t1500)Button (t1580)SB (t1420)BB (t1500)UTG (t1500)MP (t1500)Hero's M: 50.00Preflop: Hero is CO with Jheart.gif, Jdiamond.gif1 fold, MP bets t80, Hero raises to t240
I'd be interested in others' opinions on the JJ hand. I usually play it the way you do in LP, though I would've probably bet a bit more like 280. And then take another shot at it if MP calls PF and checks after the flop. That being said I have lost a ton playing it that way.
I'd be interested in others' opinions on the JJ hand. I usually play it the way you do in LP, though I would've probably bet a bit more like 280. And then take another shot at it if MP calls PF and checks after the flop. That being said I have lost a ton playing it that way.
You don't want to waste too many chips here with JJ this early. If it's LP, you have position on the initial raiser. It's best to use it in this spot and keep the pot smaller seeing as there are a lot of flops in and EP's raising range that hate you. I'd basically be playing it for set value and low flops, or playing cautiously if overs hit the flop.

Just a note to all railers/people who keep trying to talk to me at my tables: I'm chatbanned till the 12th, got it last month. I'll be back in chat action on the 13th.

I'm flatting JJ this early and re evaluating the flop. we have no real reads on the guy so it makes it kinda awkward to playdont mind opening with A9o although folding is ok too, but lets activate shutdown mode when we whiff a 4way flop.
PokerStars Game #37802381537: Tournament #229680965, $6.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (800/1600) - 2010/01/07 16:07:23 ETTable '229680965 3' 9-max Seat #6 is the buttonSeat 1: Greeson08 (11013 in chips) Seat 2: Flyp03 (15018 in chips) Seat 5: Acekob (23283 in chips) Seat 6: Kayatoplus (4554 in chips) Seat 8: GUAZZELLI (13632 in chips) Greeson08: posts the ante 75Flyp03: posts the ante 75Acekob: posts the ante 75Kayatoplus: posts the ante 75GUAZZELLI: posts the ante 75GUAZZELLI: posts small blind 800Greeson08: posts big blind 1600*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Acekob [Ts Td]Flyp03: raises 13343 to 14943 and is all-inAcekob:Villain barely played a pot so far at the FT.
send the whole pile
I would limp JJ in that low blinds if u miss the flop scary overcards etc and u get a raise dump it, if he checks it at you u could try to take a shot or check it aswell and see what he does but then it becomes more important what u know of your opponent. And since ur just on the table u probably wont have a clue.

Ditto on flatting the JJ hand. Early levels are all about preserving chips. If you haven't already done so, read Moshman's book on SnGs. He provides some great mathematical analysis showing how the risk of playing big pots early greatly outweighs the benefit. The concept of tournament equity is very important and is a big part of why SnG play is so different from cash game play.

I wrote a long explanation as to why I'd play the JJ like you did but then decided that flat calling probably would've been your best move. There's a good chance you'll be in position if the button folds and you'll be able to reevaluate your hand better after the flop. So if the flop comes out with undercards and it's checked to you, you can put a decent-size bet out there. If called, what now? Your hand is probably still good and he's likely on a draw. Do you come out firing bigger on the turn, cbet, or just check it down? That's where I have leaks.As for the A9, I'd check/fold. In fact, I'm not sure I like the bet pre-flop. You're in bad position with a weak hand. I would just fold it pre this early in the tourney. If you were in late position and it's been folded to you, I'd like your move a lot more. Or if you had limpers before you and you limped in late, I'd be good with that too. This not a hand you want to get too much money in the pot pre-flop, IMO.
So if the flop comes out with undercards and it's checked to you, you can put a decent-size bet out there. If called, what now? Your hand is probably still good and he's likely on a draw. Do you come out firing bigger on the turn, cbet, or just check it down? That's where I have leaks.
So if you flat the initial raise, pot will be 190. I'd fire like 100-120ish (depending on board texture). If he calls, there's nothing wrong with firing again, or you can decide to check to keep the pot smaller. It really depends on your opponent. If he's a retard, I'm never giving free cards and am value betting him to death. The nice thing about position is that you control how big the pot is if checked to. If you decide to keep the pot small, you can. If you have a read that he's fishing, keep the pressure on.
So if you flat the initial raise, pot will be 190. I'd fire like 100-120ish (depending on board texture). If he calls, there's nothing wrong with firing again, or you can decide to check to keep the pot smaller. It really depends on your opponent. If he's a retard, I'm never giving free cards and am value betting him to death. The nice thing about position is that you control how big the pot is if checked to. If you decide to keep the pot small, you can. If you have a read that he's fishing, keep the pressure on.
Yeah that's usually I would handle it but this early in the tourney it's hard to get a read. At this point, I'm mostly betting according to the board. If it's friendly, I'm firing. If it's scary, I'm checking. Deep in the tourney, I'm attacking like crazy. I'd hate to dump half my chips in the second hand of the tourney, though. :club:

any change in playing style from push push ur stack into a lil more flop seeing?im FT 50k vs 20k 1.5/3k blindsedit: 1st after shoving 5 hands in a row and dealt AA when opponent called XD

any change in playing style from push push ur stack into a lil more flop seeing?im FT 50k vs 20k 1.5/3k blindsedit: 1st after shoving 5 hands in a row and dealt AA when opponent called XD
Clarify please I don't understand.