Creation Question

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, us.To show His love and to receive love back
So you do think he designed the universe (and people) then. How do you think he did? I mean if he did all this just to get some love isn't the design a little flawed? It doesn't seem to be working all that well in retrospect does it? And what kind of love did he have in mind when he gave us an appendix? I mean it's useless other than having the ability to kill us. What do you suppose he was thinking?
So you do think he designed the universe (and people) then. How do you think he did? I mean if he did all this just to get some love isn't the design a little flawed? It doesn't seem to be working all that well in retrospect does it? And what kind of love did he have in mind when he gave us an appendix? I mean it's useless other than having the ability to kill us. What do you suppose he was thinking?
Ithink he gave us an appendix to make it easier to reference notes in college text.
It's almost hard to believe that religious leaders refused to accept that the Earth isn't at the center of the solar system and the universe itself.Man are we an arrogant species. Ridiculous.
pretty big universe to make just for lil ol us.
Out of curiosity...Let's say that yes, the universe was made just for lil ol us.You would expect what then? The universe to be smaller?What would the implication be if we found the edges of the universe?(I'm not even sure if what I just said makes any sort of logical sense, but I think you get what I'm wondering about.)
Out of curiosity...Let's say that yes, the universe was made just for lil ol us.You would expect what then? The universe to be smaller?What would the implication be if we found the edges of the universe?(I'm not even sure if what I just said makes any sort of logical sense, but I think you get what I'm wondering about.)
The physical layout of the universe does not seem to suggest human-centrism. That's not to say the physical layout of the universe rules out human-centrism.
I get that.I was just curious what a human-centric universe would look like.
For one thing, it would have us at the center. Probably it would look something like the way people conceived of it before they knew how it really was, e.g. earth at center with everything else rotating around it.
Thinking about this a little more I'm not buying this and hope you can come up with something better. I don't think starving children are buying the "show love" and he can't be that ego-maniacal to need our love back if he is smart enough to have created a universe.Maybe he just made us for fun like the above ant farm and then got a new toy and forgot about us?
Out of curiosity...Let's say that yes, the universe was made just for lil ol us.You would expect what then? The universe to be smaller?
if "made" for us in the creationist context i would expect it to be much smaller, younger, safer, and much more earth-centric. i would expect it NOT to appear that humans are the product of mindless evolution on an inconsequential planet lost in a vast universe that had been operating by purely mechanical principals with no regard for our existence for 14 billion years before we even got here. on the other hand if god designed the universe to produce sentient life through evolution in many places at many times, not just us, it's (slightly) more believable that the universe looks as it should. that belief would at least be a little less delusionally egocentric than the former.
What would the implication be if we found the edges of the universe?(I'm not even sure if what I just said makes any sort of logical sense, but I think you get what I'm wondering about.)
you mean what if we found that the universe is relatively small? we already know the minimum possible size of the universe, and even that is so large it's incomprensible. most of it isn't detectable. and most evidence points to our universe being exponentially larger than the minimum thanks to a probable faster-than-light inflationary period that would have happened soon after the big bang. it's quite possible what we are able to see in telescopes is only a vanishingly small fraction of what exists. most of the universe is of no consequence or use to us. we can't even see it to marvel about it.
It's almost hard to believe that religious leaders refused to accept that the Earth isn't at the center of the solar system and the universe itself.Man are we an arrogant species. Ridiculous.
Maybe he didn't want the Universe to be humancentric. Maybe he wanted us to feel small and look at all creation with a sense of wonder. Maybe he designed the Universe for us to study and explore to learn more about who he is and who we are. --/ Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
Maybe he didn't want the Universe to be humancentric.
you mean maybe he didn't want the universe to LOOK human-centric even though it essentially is. sounds like an excuse.
Maybe he wanted us to feel small and look at all creation with a sense of wonder.
that would be the same human-centric or not. if the universe consisted of nothing but our solar system we would still have a sense of wonder.in fact god is not required for that feeling - atheists certainly feel small and have a sense of wonder when contemplating "creation" even though they don't believe there is a higher purpose to it.
Maybe he designed the Universe for us to study and explore to learn more about who he is and who we are.
if so he's a monumental screw up, since the people doing the actual study and exploration (scientists) believe in him much less than the general populous.
. Maybe he designed the Universe for us to study and explore to learn more about who he is and who we are.
Hmm, that would be confusing. I mean 6000 years ago when he created the universe I thought it came with explicit instructions not to have a sense of wonder and not to use science to explain it. Aren't we supposed to rely on faith and trust in the bible? I was under the assumption that we need to ignore evidence like the fossil record and blindly believe in order to go to heaven? So how is studying the universe going to tell us anything about God?

Howdy Crowe and Randy, long time no read. I have been hangin out in political forum, more action there. But it is good to read you both again.

you mean maybe he didn't want the universe to LOOK human-centric even though it essentially is. sounds like an excuse.
You seem to be trying to have it both ways don't you think? I thought all you guys were commenting about how stupid everyone was to believe humans and the earth are the center of everything. I am simply stating that maybe he never meant for the Earth or humans to see themselves as the center of everything.
that would be the same human-centric or not. if the universe consisted of nothing but our solar system we would still have a sense of wonder..
Good. That is a start. May be a way a person finds their way to God. It has happened before.
in fact god is not required for that feeling - atheists certainly feel small and have a sense of wonder when contemplating "creation" even though they don't believe there is a higher purpose to it.
Atheists aren't completely sure they are correct in their non-belief. That small feeling and sense of wonder will keep them thinking about it, whether they admit it or not.
if so he's a monumental screw up, since the people doing the actual study and exploration (scientists) believe in him much less than the general populous.
You mean like most of the scientists that predicted the demise of the United States Eastern Seaboard in the early 1990s?Last I looked the east coast was still in tact approaching 20years after "doomsday" or the Scientists that a pushing Man made global warming now, but without letting anyone see the raw data. You can have em. There are plenty all across the spectrum. The ones like Dawkins that act as if they know for sure their isn't a God, don't have suffecient evidence to support their claims.
Hmm, that would be confusing. I mean 6000 years ago when he created the universe I thought it came with explicit instructions not to have a sense of wonder and not to use science to explain it. Aren't we supposed to rely on faith and trust in the bible? I was under the assumption that we need to ignore evidence like the fossil record and blindly believe in order to go to heaven? So how is studying the universe going to tell us anything about God?
Actually no, LMD may try and argue that, but The Catholic Church does not teach any of that. In fact John Paul II claimed faith and reason were two wings of the same bird. The way you can learn about an artist by studying his art, you can learn about God through his creations.
I am simply stating that maybe he never meant for the Earth or humans to see themselves as the center of everything.
in other words god made the universe just for us, but doesn't want us to think he did. so what exactly does he want us to think? that the universe was made for other life as well as us? that he doesn't exist?
Atheists aren't completely sure they are correct in their non-belief.
depends on what definition of god you are referring to. you are (i assume) close enough to 100% sure to effectively be 100% sure that zeus doesn't exist. i happen to feel the same way about yahweh as you do about zeus for the same reasons.
That small feeling and sense of wonder will keep them thinking about it, whether they admit it or not.
it might keep certain atheists thinking about the possibility of some sort of deistic god. it does NOT make them think about the possible existence of yahweh any more than a sense of wonder about the universe makes you think zeus might exist.
You mean like most of the scientists that predicted the demise of the United States Eastern Seaboard in the early 1990s?Last I looked the east coast was still in tact approaching 20years after "doomsday" or the Scientists that a pushing Man made global warming now, but without letting anyone see the raw data. You can have em. There are plenty all across the spectrum. The ones like Dawkins that act as if they know for sure their isn't a God, don't have suffecient evidence to support their claims.
the views or actions of a small number of scientists do not represent all of science, dawkins does not claim to be sure there is no god of any kind, and your comments don't address my point.the percentage of scientists (in the US) that believe in an intervening god is less than half that of the general public. specifically among biologists geologists and astrophysicists it is even lower than that. that fact is not compatable with your suggestion that god intended for us to learn about him through studying the world around us.
depends on what definition of god you are referring to. you are (i assume) close enough to 100% sure to effectively be 100% sure that zeus doesn't exist. i happen to feel the same way about yahweh as you do about zeus for the same reasons.it might keep certain atheists thinking about the possibility of some sort of deistic god. it does NOT make them think about the possible existence of yahweh any more than a sense of wonder about the universe makes you think zeus might exist.
After you die, which you surely will, when you reach the Gates of Olympus, which you surely will, and you are before Zeus, as you surely will be, you are going to fucking REGRET YOUR WILLFULLY IGNORANT POSITION ON THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT.
After you die, which you surely will, when you reach the Gates of Olympus, which you surely will, and you are before Zeus, as you surely will be, you are going to fucking REGRET YOUR WILLFULLY IGNORANT POSITION ON THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT.
in case you're right i have that covered. i plan to die by flying a spaceship into a black hole so if zeus exists i can gain his forgiveness by making apollo and dionysus stop fighting and merge their ideals.