Live Tourney Question

Hey All,As you can see this is my first post. I am playing at The Bike (a $60 tourney) when the following hand came up: Sorry, I don't know how to use the program that shows all the cards and suits. I am in the small blind ( I guess that makes me the hero?). Blinds are at $800/1600 with 300 ante. Villian has about $22,000 and I have about $35,000 when the following hand comes up: I was moved to this table about 20 min prior. He is in MP (my read is he is LAG) and raises to 4K and I look down with KK. I debate to RR or just call and get it all in after the flop. So, I just call and the flop is J-4-8 rainbow. I lead out with 8K and he goes all in. I call and he turns over JJ for a set and I end up losing the hand.Question is: Should I have re-raised PF or did the hand just play itself?Thanks,Comments/Suggestions are appreciated.

yea, you have about 20 blinds left, so all things being equal I probably just ship....As it is he has Jacks and may call anyway.. but that's besides the point.there really isnt any reason to be clever here.... you increase ur stack by a little more than 1/4th by simpley moving in and getting a muck... and, if u get called... you are in great shape to double through.Other than that... with the size of your stack... any raise that isnt a ship sort of polarizes your range.... with a ship, you can get called a bit lighter in a spot like this

reraise pre and ship all day in that flop. It DOES make a difference because if you just flat i would expect you to every now and then run into a set on almost any flop. RR to 9-10K and call his shove all day long, you have the second best hand in holdem, get some value ASAP son!

A. If you decide to flat a raise with a 20bb stack holding KK, you are basically just trying a bit harder to get your opponents stack in.B. The flop is J high, your opponent is all in, mission accomplishedC. BBFIDTSD. End results would be the same 99.9% of the time regardless of what street stacks went in

A. If you decide to flat a raise with a 20bb stack holding KK, you are basically just trying a bit harder to get your opponents stack in.B. The flop is J high, your opponent is all in, mission accomplishedC. BBFIDTSD. End results would be the same 99.9% of the time regardless of what street stacks went in
Thanks everybody! Will be here now more frequently
  • 4 weeks later...

There's nothing you can do. If he's an aggressive player then he's not about to slow down with a premium hand like JJ and you're not about to play scared with KK. If you reraise preflop he's either going to assume his table image worked and push all-in or call you and hit the flop anyway. It's probably not healthy to second-guess yourself on coolers. At least you were still in the tournament, albeit with only 13K and a prayer that a playable hand comes up soon.