Hey first time poster hereMy question: At my local elks lodge there is a 1/2 NL game after the tournaments are over. Most the guys sit down with 40-60 dollars. If I sit down with 40 dollars I feel like I'm committed if I pick up a big hand, as most of these guys splash around chips like rice. Should I avoid buying in with 40, and just buy in with 100+? I feel as if I'm a solid player, I don't feel comfortable with 40 in 1/2 but I was just copying what the regulars were doing. Any thoughts?

Limp a lot and try to make the nuts, it's okay to put like $20 in and decide you aren't good later. Just make sure when you get it in you have the best hand.
Generally I do, but for a lot of the guys, the 40 bucks isn't much so they tend to call a lot. For example, my AK < A7

Damn bro, I hope you told him how bad he was playing. It's harder to win when they keep doing that stuff with A7 and whatever.But back on topic, I really don't agree with mr skillz strat here. I like the limping idea because you can hit flops. But statistically speaking you're gonna miss more than you hit right? Well, the good news is: so are they! So I think if we don't hit the flop after putting in like $20 before the flop, well they aren't either so we just go all in and take all those free chips in the middle. They can't call without hitting a hand. So you're gonna win a lot if you're not unlucky.

No no, limp pf and you can call big raises pf like you said. But then before others get a chance to act and bluff you out of the pot with a hand they probably missed with, take pre-emptive action and shove the flop. You're only gonna flop a pair like 15% of the time, therefore so are they. So they're gonna have to fold lots. If you lead out first they can't cbet, and you're gonna have less fold equity if you have to c/rai

Ahhh... I see what you're saying. I think that strategy is too risky. You seem like one of those bluffy players that has tons of money to burn. I must not have been clear, i meant to limp into pots for cheap only investing $2 with basically every hand. Then after the flop like if you hit a pair, call any sized bet and see the turn, then call again, and if you have ab ig hand by the river shove and get it in.You gotta remember the people he's playing against don't like to fold, so I don't know if just shoving flops is going to shake them. We really just need to limp, call a lot, get to the river, make a decision for all of their chips then.

Ahhh... I see what you're saying. I think that strategy is too risky. You seem like one of those bluffy players that has tons of money to burn. I must not have been clear, i meant to limp into pots for cheap only investing $2 with basically every hand. Then after the flop like if you hit a pair, call any sized bet and see the turn, then call again, and if you have ab ig hand by the river shove and get it in.You gotta remember the people he's playing against don't like to fold, so I don't know if just shoving flops is going to shake them. We really just need to limp, call a lot, get to the river, make a decision for all of their chips then.
Exactly. These guys will call me down with air, hoping to hit or bluff me out by swinging their chips around. Generally speaking though, most of the guys love to raise 12-16 bucks preflop. If I just sit tight hoping for a big hand, I end up blinding for 2 hours before I pick up a hand. Whats my plan if almost every pot is raised that much?
Is there a max buy-in for the game? if not, definitely buy-in for $200 or more
No max buy-in, like I mentioned earlier, most of the guys just buy in for 40 at a time. I figured I should buy in for 100-200, but didn't want to disturb the regulars as it's a pretty decent game.

Position is a big factor in this kind of game. If your in late position with a playable hand, I'd jush push preflop after multiple people have limped.My definition of a playable hand in this kind of game is: big ace hands and medium pairs and up. By pushing, you can hopefully get heads up with a single caller.I still limp my connector hands, small pair hands, gappers, stuff like that.

Well if they don't like to fold so they can bluff you later, definitely push all in then. They can't bluff out an allin player. They'll have to fold and you can be ahead sometimes if they call that much. Which is worth a ton of chips compared to what you already lost seeing the flop.

buy in deep and do either one of two things depending on the players:A.) small ball them to death if they are tightishB.) stay very tight and just overbet isolate when you have huge hands and almost never call preflop unless it is limped if they are being hyper loose donks. The problem with live games is, you have so few hands happen that you most will just sit there and fold an arse load.From what it sounds like, buy in deep and go balls deep with big hands, if normal open is huge then 40-60 is just one hand and that is nothing. Buy in for 200 and get into 60-40 or 55-45 spots against these morons

weird, I totally disagree with the people who are telling you to buy-in short and limp a lot. Regardless of how much you buy in for yourself, with a $40 effective stack even a single limp represents 5% of your max-win. If I were going to play in that game I would buy in for a few hundred dollars and play pretty tight, but ridiculously aggressive. Just wait for 99+ or AJ/AQ+ and jam on them. If they want to gamble with you, fine. But there's no reason to gamble with them. There's no value trying to get speculative when most of the chips are going in PF anyways. The only time you would possibly revert to more standard poker is if there are other big stacks in the hand as well.Maybe I am misunderstanding something though...

oh, but order a few beers and joke around with the guys or they wont want to play with you once they realize what you're doing. They seem to want to have fun and gamble, so you should try to cultivate that image too... even if you aren't.

weird, I totally disagree with the people who are telling you to buy-in short and limp a lot. Regardless of how much you buy in for yourself, with a $40 effective stack even a single limp represents 5% of your max-win. If I were going to play in that game I would buy in for a few hundred dollars and play pretty tight, but ridiculously aggressive. absolutely. you need bullets behind and just wait and fire on effective stack when you have a great hand, that is it, i could train a monkey to do it

Hello, I am new to this forum, but i think i can help a little with this issue. I have played in a similar game like this at a local bar that I attend. The game takes place after a freeroll so you can only imagine the type of crowd it draws in. The max buy for the game is 40. I struggled with the game for a while wanting to buy in more. However now i have consistently beat the game for months. My strategy is simply limp with straight and flush hands often preflop, ie J10 56 so forth, alot of times their may be raise but most times your going to get priced in to call so it works out pretty well. If you make your hand, dont slowplay, simply push and look for a caller. My experience is that most if not all the players i have played with will call with a draw or top pair, so dont give them the chance to think. If they are going to draw out then ill take my chances on that, but at least i know im getting my money in good. Also with big hands, AA KK QQ, I bet heavy preflop, you will likely get called by anyone with an AX or KX type of hand, if the A hits the flop, check fold. If you flop a set, push all in and wait for a caller. If the board is questionable. I still say push. Make them pay for the draw, if they are even money your a coin flip obviously, if they are behind they will need to pay to try and catch up. Ive been using this strategy for this game and this game only because with the buyin theirs no real way to move in the pot. I thought about the option and have tried the option of buying in big and playing extremely tight, the problem is, tight is only apparent to those who are aware of it. If you play tight and dont play a hand for an hour and get KK and raise, the same individuals who dont fold to anyone else will likely not fold to you. So your going to be facing many of those AX hands. These types of games are the only ones where in my opinion it benefits you to get all your money in on the flop