College Internships

Ok I'm hoping by making this thread, I can be provided with some helpful insight from the people on FCP with more experience or knowledge about this subject. Basically I'm in my 4th year at Northern Illinois University majoring in Business Administration. I am a senior now, but will be graduating in Spring 2011 on a 5 year plan. This upcoming summer is very crucial for me as I need to find a good internship in the Chicagoland area that is paid. It is very important that I find a paid internship, since I simply cannot afford not making an income this summer. My resume looks pretty good as I have been employed every year since high school and I have had numerous things thrown on my resume from all the leadership positions I have commanded within my fraternity over the past few years. The one single thing my resume is lacking is internship experience related to my major. Keep in mind my GPA is at a 2.8 so I won't be throwing that on there as I have heard only 3.0 and over should be listed. Also FYI, there is a job/internship fair in like 2 months at school, but I really wanted to get a jump on all of this over winter break as I don't have much else to do and it is a major priority to me. The biggest concern I have is just trying to get my foot in the door. With a major like Business Administration, it deals with broad or macro-based perspective of Business giving me many options for jobs and internships ranging from Finance and Banking to Marketing and Management. I, however find it very frustrating and difficult to know where to start on a topic like this. Where should I be looking? What types of companies should I be looking at? What websites are good for this and which are not? Overall, I looking for any insight, feedback or tips on this matter. I am looking to know where to start and search. I am not so much worried on the interviewing processs (what to say/what not to say, etc.), but more so interested in how to put myself at that stage.

a 2.8? probably ought to go ahead and give up on life now.
Ha, thats the reason I am here for 5 years. I am not an idiot by any means, I just slacked and drank way too much my freshman and sophomore year so all the easy general classes I took then resulted in B's and C's rather than the A's and B's I should have gotten. Considering I've partied and lived life to the fullest in college, I'm ok with my GPA. It took me 2 years to realize how easy it was to give in to peer pressure and have loads of fun rather than focusing on school first. I have learned some of the most valuable life experience regarding people and myself while making soo many friends in the process. These years truly will be some of the best memories I will ever have and thinking about college being over soon is sort of depressing however now I am extremely eager/ready to graduate college and be successful.
Brigette works at UBS, she said she's not sure if they have paid ones, but she'd ask about it.
And Kurt, I appreciate you asking her for me.
Show them your math skills by rounding up from 2.8 to 3.0.
haha, no shit. I do this. god I'm pathetic.but really though holmes, I was just funnin. good luck with the internship. it's an absolutely necessary step in getting into a good career. I didn't do one in college. just pop into the sick thread real quick and ask "hey, how's sal's life?" yeah. get an internship.
Northern Illinois University5 year plan. my GPA is at a 2.8
What types of companies should I be looking at?
You should at least shoot for ones that won't make you pay for your own aprons.

Rogue - take a deep breath and relax. Some random thoughts:1. Not having a paid internship on your resume isn't the end of the world. I am 25 years removed from graduation, but most internships were/are (?) for accounting majors and engineers. I can safely say that the majority of business associates that I know, didn’t have an internship in college and have done just fine. Your major just doesn’t fit what employers are looking for when it comes to internships. Most employers right now are in survival mode and are not hiring full time let alone, part-time inexperienced employees.2. Leadership position in a fraternity is fine, but it’s a frat, not a business. Running a beer pong tourney is ok. If the beer pong tourney raised $$ for charity, now that’s something to put on a resume.3. GPA- ok you f’d up your first year or 2. I would be embarrassed to tell you my GPA first semester of college. I can assure you that getting an C in a philosophy or astronomy class isn’t that big of deal, especially 10 years later. The key is to show improvement and kick butt in your major. Show your overall GPA and your major GPA on your resume. 4. Speedz is absolutely correct. General business is fine, but first question is what do you want to do?5. Banking and real estate are not going to go away, so look at these industries. Take as many accounting classes as you can. NIU has a great accounting reputation. Once you get into the business world, you will absolutely have to have some basic understanding of a balance sheet, income statement and budgets. Real estate appraisal ( commercial) will always be attractive.6. Take some cupcake summer school classes if you can at a JC, to allow you to concentrate on the business classes at NIU.7. Try to find a part time job as a bank teller. You can work at school and throughout the summer and maybe keep in contact with the bank when graduation comes.8. Relax on the internship thing. Your goal is to get a job when you graduate and if the internship thing doesn’t happen, you will be ok.9. Sal is a faggot…he likes Twighlight

Rogue - take a deep breath and relax. Some random thoughts:1. Not having a paid internship on your resume isn't the end of the world. I am 25 years removed from graduation, but most internships were/are (?) for accounting majors and engineers. I can safely say that the majority of business associates that I know, didn’t have an internship in college and have done just fine. Your major just doesn’t fit what employers are looking for when it comes to internships. Most employers right now are in survival mode and are not hiring full time let alone, part-time inexperienced employees.
That's it? :rolleyes:Oh and good luck Rogue.
haha, no shit. I do this. god I'm pathetic.but really though holmes, I was just funnin. good luck with the internship. it's an absolutely necessary step in getting into a good career. I didn't do one in college. just pop into the sick thread real quick and ask "hey, how's sal's life?" yeah. get an internship.
I turned down an internship because I was making 4 times as much at a labor job. Big mistake.Oh, and a 2.8 isn't the end of the world. Two minutes into your first interview, no one will care what your GPA was, they'll be more interested in how you can help them make more money.

One of my friends, also majoring in business administration is waiting to hear back from Northern Trust, GE Capital, and Career Education Corp all of which are paid internships.

One of my friends, also majoring in business administration is waiting to hear back from Northern Trust, GE Capital, and Career Education Corp all of which are paid internships.
There you go Rogue, apply to Northern Trust, GE Capital and Career Education Corp. :club:
I turned down an internship because I was making 4 times as much at a labor job. Big mistake.Oh, and a 2.8 isn't the end of the world. Two minutes into your first interview, no one will care what your GPA was, they'll be more interested in how you can help them make more money.
I just graduated last week and barely have a 3.0, but the thing is you need to get the interview first. When they see a 2.8 or a 3.1 they will usually pass and not interview the candidate. I'm a finance major but worked an unpaid accounting internship @ the Ritz Carlton last year which gave me a good experience which I can put on my resume and talk about in an interview. If you get an unpaid internship see if you can work Mon-Thurs and get a paying job on Fri/Sat/Sun. There were interns @ the hotel that did that.
I'm pretty sure GE is one of the hardest internships to get in the country fyi
I just graduated last week and barely have a 3.0, but the thing is you need to get the interview first. When they see a 2.8 or a 3.1 they will usually pass and not interview the candidate. I'm a finance major but worked an unpaid accounting internship @ the Ritz Carlton last year which gave me a good experience which I can put on my resume and talk about in an interview. If you get an unpaid internship see if you can work Mon-Thurs and get a paying job on Fri/Sat/Sun. There were interns @ the hotel that did that.I'm pretty sure GE is one of the hardest internships to get in the country fyi
See, it's weird because what you write makes perfect sense, yet I can't take a guy seriously when he has that cartoon as his signature. It's time to let go of that particular man crush.
See, it's weird because what you write makes perfect sense, yet I can't take a guy seriously when he has that cartoon as his signature. It's time to let go of that particular man crush.
Its gone. I just was lazy and didn't feel like changing it for a while.