Ask Me About... Tom "durrr" Dwan

Featured Player  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want to Cover Next Week?

• Phil Ivey
    • Phil Hellmuth
    • Patrik Antonius
    • Jennifer Harman
    • Doyle Brunson
    • Mike Matusow

If he asked you to teach him mixed games, how much would you charge an hour?
I wouldn't charge him anything. I like him, and if he asked I'd probably just do it for free. He would be a very tough guy to teach, though, because he thinks in a very abstract way and that doesn't translate too well to limit games.
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does his table image/personna serve him best in getting players to lay down hands or in getting players to pay him off with losers?
He plays a lot of hands, so definitely his table image helps him get players to pay him off light and make rando crazy plays against him. I'm also guilty there lol.
Daniel:Do you think that Durrr and these other super young guys who got to play SO much younger than most and had such a big rise into the upper levels missed out on those years of grinding live that most everyone else had, like you grinding $10/$20 for a couple years and Ivey grinding stud etc?Do you think that their massive bankrolls they gained before they learned to pay rent will hurt their ability to control their life skills when they run bad for 6 months or longer?
YES YES and YES!!! I do think there is something different and special about the way you had to rise through the ranks in the "old days." It was much, much tougher only because you couldn't mutli-table live and you couldn't game select nearly as well. Players were much more likely to go broke back then because you had to play high enough to make it worth it, but that also meant playing on much shorter bankrolls. If you ran bad, you just had to borrow or struggle somehow. Today, you can mutli-table smaller limits and grind it back much faster. Both processes build character, but the old way made you stronger I think. For many kids today it's almost "too easy" and that can be a bad thing long term if as you said, they run bad for six months after thinking that could never happen. Back in the day, you were just used to knowing that sometimes you'd have to play on a short bankroll without letting it get to you.
Tom Dwan offers you the following challenge:100K hands of 500/1000 online headsup NLHE, no more than 2 tables at a time (unless you're willing). In exchange, he will pay you an amount equal to 50% of your 2010 WSOP tournament cashes. (For example, if you cash for 1.5MM, he writes you a check for 750K). Do you accept? If not, how much would he have to offer? 100%? 150%?
Wow, great question. Tell him I'd do it for 100% and no less. I figure that's about $300,000 or so in value on average.
Between yours and Tom's no-limit holdem poker game whose is misunderstood more from public's perspective and how so?
Oh mine for sure ainec. People watch you do a few things on tv, some good some bad, and assume that's what you do all the time. I'm very aware of the way I'm perceived and I use it against my opponents regularly. The WSOPE is a good example of that, and I kinda wish they wouldn't put that show on TV because I used a lot of "stuff" against the online guys that I didn't want them to think I was capable of because it makes those moves less effective.
Great idea - hope this thread is a regular feature..... Since Durrrr issued his challenge I have been following the 2k 4k mixed games and the nosebleed PLO games --- When durrr comes to Bobby's Roomto play the 7 or 8 game mix is the general feeling "yum-yum" (to use one of your favorite quotes about PH)
He doesn't play in those games live from what I know. I've never seen him in there.

2nd question.. whos life "experience" coming up they way they did, made them better players? doyle or durr? By that i mean, Doyle living on the road, playing and grinding out the small games bulding up a bankroll, or Durr mutil tabling tables to build up a bankroll online?In other words, if doyle was up and coming now a days, in 50 years how scary good would he be? do you think Durr, coming up the way he did, hurts him or helps him? could Durr have done it the way doyle did?wow, that is a lot of questions.. damn xmas party and excess of rum...... hope these questions made sense.

Wow, great question. Tell him I'd do it for 100% and no less. I figure that's about $300,000 or so in value on average.
Daniel, I'm assuming you didn't put too much thought into this and I am 99.9% this would never go down, but Dawn would still be getting a HUGE edge here. Even if durrr only beat you at 2bb/100, you realize that's two million dollars, right? But there is zero chance you guys would find time to put 100k hands in, so the point is null.As for a question. I know this is supposed to focus on Tom, but becuase everyone has been calling him the best NLHE player in the world and you mentioned that if you put in the time you think you'd at least have some sorta chance. You're already considered a candidate for best tourney player ever, do you want to be considered the best overall poker player? You probably have a bit more to prove in bobby's room. Do you plan on putting in the time to accomplish this? Do you care?
Any math nerds want to gander at what he makes in rakeback?
The high stakes games barely have any rake. I doubt it's anything too significant (relative to overall stakes)Awesome thread Daniel! I'm confused at the skipping of the Jen Harmon question though, I can't see any reason why either answer (yes or no) would be weird so now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why you skipped it gahhhh! :)Mark

Ok - enough with durrrr -- this is such a great idea 4 this forum........... 1st question about IveyIf Moneymaker hadn't caught that miracle to knock Phil out in 2003 how do you think the landscape of poker would have changed and also would Phil have still become the Phil Ivey we see now? (Assuming he wins WSOP 2003 if his 9's full had held) The reason I ask is I see Phil's greatest assets as being motivated to play and get better every day plus the most gamble combined with the most skill ever. In my opinion, it is kind of like Michael Jordan in the early Chicago Bulls playoff years, getting close to the title but losing to the Pistons made him even hungrier and more determined.

Ok - enough with durrrr -- this is such a great idea 4 this forum........... 1st question about IveyIf Moneymaker hadn't caught that miracle to knock Phil out in 2003 how do you think the landscape of poker would have changed and also would Phil have still become the Phil Ivey we see now? (Assuming he wins WSOP 2003 if his 9's full had held) The reason I ask is I see Phil's greatest assets as being motivated to play and get better every day plus the most gamble combined with the most skill ever. In my opinion, it is kind of like Michael Jordan in the early Chicago Bulls playoff years, getting close to the title but losing to the Pistons made him even hungrier and more determined.
slickdonkey.gif
Daniel, I'm assuming you didn't put too much thought into this and I am 99.9% this would never go down, but Dawn would still be getting a HUGE edge here. Even if durrr only beat you at 2bb/100, you realize that's two million dollars, right? But there is zero chance you guys would find time to put 100k hands in, so the point is null.As for a question. I know this is supposed to focus on Tom, but becuase everyone has been calling him the best NLHE player in the world and you mentioned that if you put in the time you think you'd at least have some sorta chance. You're already considered a candidate for best tourney player ever, do you want to be considered the best overall poker player? You probably have a bit more to prove in bobby's room. Do you plan on putting in the time to accomplish this? Do you care?
I have been playing more in Bobby's room and doing very well. I don't feel I have a lot to prove in those games at all. We don't play NLH, we play mixed games. I can play all the games and I don't think there is an 8 handed game that I can't beat if we play 8 games or more. I'm not intimidated by anyone playing mixed games.
The high stakes games barely have any rake. I doubt it's anything too significant (relative to overall stakes)Awesome thread Daniel! I'm confused at the skipping of the Jen Harmon question though, I can't see any reason why either answer (yes or no) would be weird so now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why you skipped it gahhhh! :)Mark
Questions are supposed to be about Durrr, that's why. Jenn naked doesn't make me uncomfortable before, we are like best friends so it's not like I hadn't seen her boobies before anyway lol.
Questions are supposed to be about Durrr, that's why. Jenn naked doesn't make me uncomfortable before, we are like best friends so it's not like I hadn't seen her boobies before anyway lol.
pics or ban.
hahaha boobies