Small-ball Question.

Hello all, I have a question regarding a hand that Davis Bowen played in the Sunday Millions. If David is playing small-ball why would he raise with 5-10 offsuit when he is the first to enter the pot? Now I know the importance of blind stealing but, I don't understand why open with that hand. I'm reading Daniel's book (Power Holdem Strategy). That hand is not on the opening hand list. What I'm asking is from what I saw does it really matter what we open with? I know that a lot of hands we open with will be mucked if we get any resistance. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks forum member Anthony C. My handle is anthony2010 on stars.

mixing things up and blind stealing. you can't play off a list against pros

I haven't seen the hand in question, but I would venture a guess that it was a case of mixing up his play in order to not become predictable. Also, it depends on position. As a blind stealing measure from the button against nitty players in the blinds, it's probably a profitable move.

Thanks for your reply. One question- so should I only play the list of hands in online play or should I open with anything in online play?
I haven't seen the hand in question, but I would venture a guess that it was a case of mixing up his play in order to not become predictable. Also, it depends on position. As a blind stealing measure from the button against nitty players in the blinds, it's probably a profitable move.
Thank you for your reply. Should I be opening from utg(under the gun) or should I wait until it's folded around to me in late position/
Thank you for your reply. Should I be opening from utg(under the gun) or should I wait until it's folded around to me in late position/
I personally would not deliberately open 5-10 off under the gun. The only reason to do so is if you've been completely card dead, have been folding for ages, get somewhat desperate and people see you as super nitty. In that case, you could make a play, but I wouldn't generally recommend it, especially not, if a typical raise is a significant portion of your stack.

One of the major advantages to playing small ball is that your raise is much smaller. When antes kick in, often times a small ball raise will be to less than what is in the pot already. So, if you feel like your table is tight, especially on the bubble, and you feel like your raise will result in a fold from everyone 50% of the time, you probably will be opening a ton of hands because it doesn't even need to work 50% of the time to be profitable. Plus, you'll occasionally flop trip fives and your opponent will have a difficult time believing you have a 5 in your hand.Obviously, in a lower buy-in tournament where the players don't like to fold, you will not be able to open so wide so it is very situational.

I personally would not deliberately open 5-10 off under the gun. The only reason to do so is if you've been completely card dead, have been folding for ages, get somewhat desperate and people see you as super nitty. In that case, you could make a play, but I wouldn't generally recommend it, especially not, if a typical raise is a significant portion of your stack.
Thank you for your reply. One major question- should I open everytime I'm first to enter the pot. (Every Time)???????? To me It seems that it doesn't even matter what we have.
Thank you for your reply. One major question- should I open everytime I'm first to enter the pot. (Every Time)???????? To me It seems that it doesn't even matter what we have.
no you have to be position aware, and aware of your table image. Poker is not a everytime or make a list kind of game, period.
Thanks for your reply. One question- so should I only play the list of hands in online play or should I open with anything in online play?
what to open with when all depends on a ton of things going on around you. the speed of the game, your table image, and your goal in opening are all extremely important. i didnt see the specific hand in question with the 5T utg raise, but chances are the guy was simply playing the hand to make a play based off his table image and pick up a small pot on the flop. risky play but with a tight image, good players will see the raise as a sign of strength and fold their hands to a good continuation bet on the flop. the question of if you should only play the top 15 (or whatever) hands really depends on how you play and who youre playing against. id say you cant sit around and wait for the hands on the list but it really depends on a lot of stuff.
no you have to be position aware, and aware of your table image. Poker is not a everytime or make a list kind of game, period.
+1
There's a big difference between proffesional poker and amateur poker. Don't try to copy the pro's because their play style is a whole lot different than a reg. Also, if you want to watch how they really play poker at a FT I sugest you download the Partouche PT. The first FT that were showed LIVE.Watching Sunday Million round up won't teach you a thing, because they only show highlights of the event and the best plays made...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Daniel also writes in the book its a general guide line the opening hand list. And keeping your game unpredictable is one of the things you want to do. And I agree with kreppsen a play like this might look wierd or even stupid but you dont know what the player is trying to accomplish with it. Do not try it yourself! (yet)