Scrubs in its newest form premieres tonight on ABC. Here's a spoiler free early review from IGN. I am excited but very cautious. I think the way the last season wrapped up the show was one of the greatest series endings i've ever seen, so to have parts of the story pick back up is very strange to me. In the end, I trust bill lawrence to do something that's going to be better than 90% of what's on in primetime right now no matter what, so here's hoping.Scrubs: "Our First Day of School" Reviewhttp://tv.ign.com/articles/105/1050163p1.htmlNew setting, new interns, same Scrubs.November 30, 2009 - Advance Review: The hardest thing to do in television is to create a hit show. I don't care who you ask, eight seasons on prime-time television qualifies Scrubs as being a hit, whatever the ratings are. But perhaps even harder than that is completely redefining a show in its ninth season and succeeding. That's what Scrubs has done. The setting has changed: Sacred Heart has been torn down and rebuilt as a teaching hospital on the campus of Winston University. The premise has changed: the doctors spend more time giving lectures than tending to patients. We're introduced to three new interns: Drew, the drop-out who's back for a second chance; Cole, the arrogant, untouchable pain-in-the-ass; and Lucy (more on her later), as well as an expanded role for Dr. Denise Mahoney, who was added last season. Heck, even the opening title sequence is different. But even with all the changes, it still feels very familiar. The main cast is back, including Zach Braff as J.D. and Sarah Chalke as Elliot (who both signed on for limited roles this season), Donald Faison as Turk, Ken Jenkins as Kelso and most importantly, John C. McGinley as Dr. Perry Cox. This new medical school direction gives Dr. Cox an even greater forum to run the poor interns through the ringer. Sure, J.D., Elliot and Turk have their unique teaching styles (including J.D.'s unsurprising need to be the "cool" doctor), but it's Dr. Cox who gets the spotlight, tearing down his new recruits with the cruel efficiency we've come to love. The episode begins as it usually does, with J.D.'s voice-over. He explains all the changes that have taken place and gets the audience up to speed. But then an interesting thing happens: As he crosses the hall and passes by Lucy Bennett (Kerry Bishe), a new intern, we suddenly hear her point of view, a symbolic passing of the voice-over torch from the old show to the new one. From now on, Lucy is the de facto J.D. character, and like J.D., she's immediately given a slew of nicknames (none of which I'll spoil here). She's an amalgam of the three original Scrubs interns, possessing a crushing desire to be appreciated, a certain amount of self-confidence and a tiny amount of crazy. The switch from the word "My" to "Our" in the episode titles signals that the wealth will be spread around from now on, but that said, a lot of the weight of this new direction still rests on Kerry Bishe's shoulders. Thankfully, she and creator Bill Lawrence succeed in introducing a likable new main character to the show. For those of you wondering if they address the departure of The Janitor (Neil Flynn), you're in luck. However, the whereabouts of Carla (Judy Reyes), Ted Buckland (Sam Lloyd) and Jordan (Christa Miller) are not covered, at least in this first episode, and it's unclear if these characters are going to now permanently remain off-screen or not. Personally, I'd be the most bummed if we didn't see Sam Lloyd again. His sad-sack lawyer character has been the most consistently funny part of the show and what he's done with a tiny amount of dialogue and a gift for physical comedy should not go unappreciated. If this episode were just okay, that would be a victory unto itself. With so many changes, an underwhelming premiere would be understandable. But this episode far exceeded my expectations and long-time Scrubs fans should feel the same way. It's not J.D.'s show anymore, but last season's "finale" prepared us for this new direction. It's still goofy and heartfelt at the same time. The old characters are as you remember them and the new ones are a great addition. And most importantly, it's still laugh-out-loud funny. IGN's Ratings for Our First Day of SchoolRating 8.5 OVERALL

Watched the pilot, didn't dig it, won't be watching again. It doesn't bode well that almost all the funny moments involved the old cast members who won't be around for much longer.Promising: Denise, and the guy she is sleeping with.Annoying as heck: Insecure blonde girl main character chick. Meh: Predictable pervy nepotist douche. For the record, I did laugh a few times and enjoy a lot of moments... all of which involved Turk and/or JD.

So an insecure main character is bothering you all of a sudden, or is it just something about her?I'm sure she'll come into her own at some point. They were too busy playing her off of JD to give her an identity yet I think.

So an insecure main character is bothering you all of a sudden, or is it just something about her?I'm sure she'll come into her own at some point. They were too busy playing her off of JD to give her an identity yet I think.
I don't like the idea of taking JD's kookiness and insecurity, blending it with Elliott's sexiness and insecurity, and squashing it into a generically pretty blonde girl's body. Perhaps they will give her an identity of her own in future episodes, but why wait til then? First impressions are important, and the first impression I got of her character is that she has all the low self-esteem the old characters had, only without the sense of humour. The idea with a TV sequel pilot (I consider this a pilot since it's like SBTB The New Class) is to grab the viewer and get them invested in the story so they come back next week. It's not to offer a watered down version of the original show in the hopes that viewers will think "well, she's kinda like that guy I liked who isn't going to be around much longer. I guess it's okay, maybe she'll get funnier later". The SBTB The New Class is a really good comparison actually. You can't just take Zack Morris, make him a girl and call it a day. Either change the character completely, keep the original, or make it a plausible Zack 2.0 (like if it were his little brother who he trained to be like him, kinda like a Stifler's brother scenario). Lucy is not a plausible JD replacement. She's real pretty and she seems like a decent actress. I wouldn't mind watching her in another show. I just don't want to see this 'Lucy' character any more, and luckily I don't have to because no one is forcing me to watch this new Scrubs. I just came here to give my opinion, and bingo bango if I haven't just done that.