I now have problems thinking about it.The finale was outstanding, and it makes sense. However, it has no relevance to anything that has ever had anything to do with the show and the mysteries we loved for five seasons. I wasn't expecting to have our questions answered fully, but instead we have a total derivation from the plot.It's now pissing me off.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have problems thinking about it.The finale was outstanding, and it makes sense. However, it has no relevance to anything that has ever had anything to do with the show and the mysteries we loved for five seasons. I wasn't expecting to have our questions answered fully, but instead we have a total derivation from the plot.It's now pissing me off.
If you didn't have a very imaginative mind coming into Lost and expected it to be a linear, non-deriving from the plot type of show, then you were wrong. I was very pleased with the ending and my mind was very open to the finale. I can see the first two hours being very understandable from the normal persons type of view. But you have to have the imagination there to bring together the ending.
If you didn't have a very imaginative mind coming into Lost and expected it to be a linear, non-deriving from the plot type of show, then you were wrong. I was very pleased with the ending and my mind was very open to the finale. I can see the first two hours being very understandable from the normal persons type of view. But you have to have the imagination there to bring together the ending.
I think you're confusing "non-deriving" with "lazy, horrible storytelling to ice an otherwise delicious cake". The Betrayl of Mystery article from earlier puts into words very well what i've been trying to convey to people since sunday.
I think you're confusing "non-deriving" with "lazy, horrible storytelling to ice an otherwise delicious cake". The Betrayl of Mystery article from earlier puts into words very well what i've been trying to convey to people since sunday.
I'm pretty sure he was mocking delved there.
Where have you been? They have said explicitly many times that they WILL NOT answer all questions.This was Lost's intention, to leave it up to you to what you make of it, something that producers have never done before.I love a mystery. I love when my eyes are widened and my appeal is broadened even more. This opened my mind more than it should have. For that, a job well done.
I'm pretty sure he was mocking delved there.
Damn you for ruining my trolling, I was going to mention that to you NC, just not here.
If you didn't have a very imaginative mind coming into Lost
having an imaginitive mind has nothing to do with wanting answers that make sense, particularly when that is what was promised.
and expected it to be a linear, non-deriving from the plot type of show, then you were wrong.
not wrong - betrayed in the end. it WAS a plot-"derived" show for 5 seasons, with an intricate web of mysteries presented, answers doled out in sparing fashion stringing the viewer along, and more answers including to the biggest questions explicitly promised to be forthcoming. they producers were liars all along. as BG points out they are nothing more than con men - drug dealers getting everyone hooked on "answers to mysteries" crack, then leaving everyone hanging at the end and running off with a bag full of money (and trying to get more by sticking a few late teaser answers that likely won't add anything significant in the DVD set).the popularity and cult of speculation about this show became what it did BECAUSE people were intrigued by what the ANSWERS would be to the mysteries, not by the bare mysteries themselves. most viewers expected at least the major questions to have some sense made of them at some point. if people knew from the beginning that virtually all of the major mysteries would be left to the imagination lost wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons.
Pretty damning. This just serves as further evidence that the show isn't perfect and ideally put together, even if the writers claim otherwise. There are just too many loose threads, too many moments where someone did or said something arbitrary for the sake of drama that was never explained or turned out to be pointless.But this doesn't mean that we can't enjoy or praise the show. It gave us 6 long seasons of entertainment, mystery, blogging, researching, theorizing, and the like. Lost is more than the televisions show, it's the world that sprang out of the show. I don't claim that the loose ends make the show pointless ex post facto. They're somewhat bothersome if you think about them, but, really, it's just a TV show, and a pretty darn good one at that, so let's not get too bothered.
It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the show. But it does mean I currently enjoy it much less and can no longer praise it as I once did. It has also ruined any rewatchability the show had built up over the years.I've been thinking about it more and really, it's not the finale I dislike. I dislike the SidewaysWorld=Purgatory aspect of it, and the cheesy shipshake, and the styrofoam bolders, and the "jack is a man of faith so let's just try it smokey's way and trust everything is going to work out" use of Desmond, and the.....Ok, I hated the finale.But really, it's the final season as a whole. Yes, they said all along they wouldn't explain everything. Yes, it was clear as we got closer and closer to the final episode that stuff wasn't going to come clear. I naively hoped that somehow they wouldn't Betray the Mystery as NC said. They did it anyways but really, looking back, the finale WAS fairly true to the final season. People are probably right to say that anyone who didn't see something like that coming, based on the final season, wasn't paying attention (or didn't WANT to see it coming, like me).But I still have lost (hehe) a lot of respect for the show and it's creators for losing their way (I agree that it makes a lot of sense that they abandoned the purgatory idea once it was explained so clearly online and elsewhere to attempt to deepen the mystery) and for basically not making any attempt to get back on track. The final season works as a metaphor for the show, I think. They could have grabbed the runaway train of a show and made it make sense. Instead they pulled a Jack, went with the flow, expecting it to all work out in the end, and ended up with their art dying bleeding in a forest of bamboo while their alter egos the producers left the "church" of the show with a box full of money ready to enjoy heaven on earth.

Oh hey, douchebag.I didn't know I am unable to reflect back on what I said and look more into it and think about it. The thoughts after a few days brought me to a conclusion that while I loved the finale, and questions came together, it just didn't make sense to what the plot was for the first couple of seasons.Also for what I said, it still holds mostly true. I loved the finale. It just ended up not making sense to me and sense to this show.

Obviously some of you feel the end of answers.Go ahead and ask and someone here will have the answers.Go ahead..what's your biggest question?

Obviously some of you feel the end of answers.Go ahead and ask and someone here will have the answers.Go ahead..what's your biggest question?
why is there a dharma shark in purgatory?
why is there a dharma shark in purgatory?
A Billionaire with a rare blood disease needs it for a radical experimental surgery. This is just a holding station till the truck can take the shark to the Hamptons.NEXT?
Oh hey, douchebag.I didn't know I am unable to reflect back on what I said and look more into it and think about it. The thoughts after a few days brought me to a conclusion that while I loved the finale, and questions came together, it just didn't make sense to what the plot was for the first couple of seasons.Also for what I said, it still holds mostly true. I loved the finale. It just ended up not making sense to me and sense to this show.
I found it amusing you made comments like "lolwat" and that maybe some people just need an imagination when defending it and then come back with a post saying "Now that I've thought about it..."
A Billionaire with a rare blood disease needs it for a radical experimental surgery.
ironically that would have been a satisfying answer for why the DI was experimenting with animals on-island.
ironically that would have been a satisfying answer for why the DI was experimenting with animals on-island.
That was a body mass transferring experiment. The island's ability to send people to Tunisia was being investigated, that's why the polar bear bones were found by the chick who later joined Faraday and died.
I found it amusing you made comments like "lolwat" and that maybe some people just need an imagination when defending it and then come back with a post saying "Now that I've thought about it..."
Maybe you should consider the one time I said it, or you're just reading over posts to go and troll like a moron. I quoted two posts where one person said Jack's death had nothing to do with the plot, and one where it had absolutely everything to do with it; the latter being true.
I quoted two posts where one person said Jack's death had nothing to do with the plot
no, you quoted two posts where one person said the producers knowing what the final image would be from the beginning has no significance. it is not evidence they had any kind of plan in mind.
:club: ok why is there a dharma shark in the alt-timeline which is Purgatory?
To get to the other side? Maybe the island eventually ends up underwater, but remains the connection between the two timelines. According to Christian, there is no "now", so Jack's "plane ride" could be whenever, which could have been while the shark was still alive.Oh, **** it...I don't know if there's a real explanation for it, but it's pretty cool, eh?I initially thought you were referring to the shark attack on Sawyer and Michael on the raft way back in Season 2 or 3 (?).
That was a body mass transferring experiment.
or maybe it was a mind transference experiment. that would explain the weird overly macho talking polar bears in the golden compass.
To get to the other side? Maybe the island eventually ends up underwater, but remains the connection between the two timelines. According to Christian, there is no "now", so Jack's "plane ride" could be whenever, which could have been while the shark was still alive.
so after jack dies in the real world, within the lifetime of a shark the island sinks the light goes out humanity dies and everything they did counts for nothing??? (actually i would have preferred that as the final scene - would have been a pretty cool dark existential nihilistic ending :club: ).
Oh, **** it...I don't know if there's a real explanation for it, but it's pretty cool, eh?
the real explanation is at the beginning of S6 the producers had intending the ALT to be an actual alternate timeline where the island sank, but didn't have the time or resources or creative power (or whatever) to pull it off, and had to pull a much simpler purgatory rewrite out of their asses sometime mid-season.