• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pah, you can hawk those ratings as much as you want but everyone knows that TV ratings are worthless nowadays, what with Tivo, the internet, the sampling system they use etc. They don't accurately reflect what is being watched, and what people want to see. Just look at the success of films like Twilight and you can see that the trend in entertainment is toward vampires and the supernatural etc. If you don't expect that to be translated into the TV market you are a silly old fool.
It's cute that you put so much stock into teen obsessions. I'm curious, just what vampire and supernatural shows do you think are currently dominating the tv market due to the fact that "TV audiences have spoken"? Also, it's not like the supernatural is a new trend. Every decade has had its share of wildly popular science fiction and/or supernatural movies and tv shows. The X Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, were way more popular than any current tv show along those same lines. Nothing you're talking about is new, and the genre as a whole is no more popular now than it was before, other than the Twilight series, which is a pop culture phenomenon similar to Harry Potter, and nobody was claiming five years ago that tv audiences were demanding wizardry shows in higher numbers than before.So...what exactly are you talking about? Oh, right, True Blood. The Apprentice 9, #25 on the ratings list last week, averages around (fittingly) 9 million viewers per week. True Blood averages around 4 million per week. Sorry, but the numbers aren't skewed nearly enough to make up for that deep a chasm. Sure, True Blood is an HBO show, but if that's your best example it's all I have to work with. TV audiences have spoken, and what they want now is pretty much the same as what they wanted last year, the year before that, five years before that, and ten years before that. Reality shows, family sitcoms, detective shows, and the occasional supernatural show.Silly old fools know their history, ignorant little girls think that their generation has reinvented the wheel, when all they've done is...I lost it. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.
Silly old fools know their history, ignorant little girls think that their generation has reinvented the wheel, when all they've done is...I lost it. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.
There probably is, but its no where near as condescending as the preceding sentence, so it's probably better you didn't lighten the tone up at all.
There probably is, but its no where near as condescending as the preceding sentence, so it's probably better you didn't lighten the tone up at all.
They should just get a room already. Their back and forth dances are thread killers.
It's cute that you put so much stock into teen obsessions.
Deary my. The whole point of the original paragraph was that I wanted to assert that the mysterious aspect of Lost appealed to me, and to evoke the sexual imagery of Blue Lagoon. You focused on the final sentence, which was clearly a hyperbolic climax to the original opinion. Note how many times I put 'vampires' on the list - that was a clue that I wasn't serious. So, while I appreciate the effort you went into looking up all those ratings and viewership figures just to prove me wrong, I can't put my heart into the argument. I tried, just for kicks, and because I am procrastinating from studying. You can consider this a concession of defeat if you wish, but in my defence I didn't intend for the "people want more vampires" statement to be taken this far. Shalom.
They should just get a room already. Their back and forth dances are thread killers.
I don't think that exchange with speedz killed this thread to any degree, in fact it seems just as active as it was before, if not more. It certainly doesn't seemed to have stopped people from yammering on about pointless/unanswerable questions like HOW DID THE LIGHTHOUSE WORK? DID THEY ALL DIE IN THE PLANE CRASH OR NOT? WHY DIDN'T SHE LEAVE THE ISLAND? Did it annoy people and get in the way of the discussion of Lost? Probably. But if you view my above post, I never intended to get into a 'back and forth dance' and had no desire to continue it, so there was no need for you to make petty, passive-aggressive comments, further distracting from the Lost discussion.
It's cute that you put so much stock into teen obsessions. I'm curious, just what vampire and supernatural shows do you think are currently dominating the tv market due to the fact that "TV audiences have spoken"? Also, it's not like the supernatural is a new trend. Every decade has had its share of wildly popular science fiction and/or supernatural movies and tv shows. The X Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, were way more popular than any current tv show along those same lines. Nothing you're talking about is new, and the genre as a whole is no more popular now than it was before, other than the Twilight series, which is a pop culture phenomenon similar to Harry Potter, and nobody was claiming five years ago that tv audiences were demanding wizardry shows in higher numbers than before.So...what exactly are you talking about? Oh, right, True Blood. The Apprentice 9, #25 on the ratings list last week, averages around (fittingly) 9 million viewers per week. True Blood averages around 4 million per week. Sorry, but the numbers aren't skewed nearly enough to make up for that deep a chasm. Sure, True Blood is an HBO show, but if that's your best example it's all I have to work with. TV audiences have spoken, and what they want now is pretty much the same as what they wanted last year, the year before that, five years before that, and ten years before that. Reality shows, family sitcoms, detective shows, and the occasional supernatural show.Silly old fools know their history, ignorant little girls think that their generation has reinvented the wheel, when all they've done is...I lost it. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.
Don't sweat it, it turns out it was about the characters all along anyways.
Pah, you can hawk those ratings as much as you want but everyone knows that TV ratings are worthless nowadays, what with Tivo, the internet, the sampling system they use etc. They don't accurately reflect what is being watched, and what people want to see. Just look at the success of films like Twilight and you can see that the trend in entertainment is toward vampires and the supernatural etc. If you don't expect that to be translated into the TV market you are a silly old fool.
Has there ever been a time that movie/TV audiences weren't fascinated with Vampires and the Supernatural? Lets see...some of the most popular Vampire/Supernatural Movies/TV ShowsMoviesVan Helsing (2004) (yes it sucked but one of the top grossing vampire films)Interview with the Vampire (1994) Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)The Blade Trilogy (1998-2004)The Underworld Trilogy (2003-2009)From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)The Lost Boys (1987)Fright Night (1985)GhostBusters I-II (1984-1989)Poltergeist (1982)The Sixth Sense (1996)The Shining (1980)Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)TelevisionBuffy The Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)Angel (1999-2004)The Twilight Zone (1959-1964)The X-Files (1993-2002)Supernatural (2005)The Ghost Whisperer (2005)Ghost Hunters (2004)I mean I could keep going...
well, i don't know about you, but i'm certainly glad they're giving me a lot of time so that i can come to peace with the idea.
I don't think they planned it that way, it's just what the Mayans predict will happen.
I think this article is pretty good. spoilers at link
Perfectly said. Thanks for the link.My fav part:"Storytelling requires a commitment of trust between author and audience. Lost squandered six years of that trust. None of the plot elements from the first two-thirds of the story had anything to do with its resolution. The end of the story came from out of left field, as if the Harry Potter series had ended with a cop shooting Voldemort dead. Sorry about all the fuss and bother, Harry. Guess that whole “Chosen One” thing was just a dead end. You were still a great character, though! Give our best to Ron and Hermione!"

TV VIEWER: Hello, what do you have for me today?Hollywood writer: Well, we have a story that will make us lots of money the longer we stretch it out.Tv: Okay..I'll try it out.HW: You like it? Tv:It's great, can I get more?HW: Sure, uhh..here's something coolTv: This is great, I suspect the entire thing will be always perfect because you guys in Hollywood care.HW: Actually, we are in this for the money, otherwise we would write books.Years later:HW: Looks like we can't milk this anymore, and besides we are richer than any 500 of our viewers combined. Let's end this.Tv: But wait..you didn't explain things.HW: ( Walking out door with bags of cash ) What?Repeat.Who's the fool?

TV VIEWER: Hello, what do you have for me today?Hollywood writer: Well, we have a story that will make us lots of money the longer we stretch it out.Tv: Okay..I'll try it out.HW: You like it? Tv:It's great, can I get more?HW: Sure, uhh..here's something coolTv: This is great, I suspect the entire thing will be always perfect because you guys in Hollywood care.HW: Actually, we are in this for the money, otherwise we would write books.Years later:HW: Looks like we can't milk this anymore, and besides we are richer than any 500 of our viewers combined. Let's end this.Tv: But wait..you didn't explain things.HW: ( Walking out door with bags of cash ) What?Repeat.Who's the fool?
But the producers seemed to genuinely care about these characters. What say you?
your right- the egg is on the face of viewers (me) I guess I should have never believed the announcement two years ago. The producers stated during season four that the season would end after six seasons. Stating that the show would run astray with filler if they didn't start answering the questions--- They felt like having a firm end date allowed answers to be revealed correctly---- notSo for taking their word--- guilty as charged
But the producers seemed to genuinely care about these characters. What say you?
Made up characters whose existence equals work vs. Piles and piles of CASHI guess I don't see your issue
You can consider this a concession of defeat if you wish
I can, and I will. That's just HOW I ROLL.
Did it annoy people and get in the way of the discussion of Lost? Probably. But who gives a shit?
I'm not big into fixing posts anymore, but this had to be done.
Perfectly said. Thanks for the link.My fav part:"Storytelling requires a commitment of trust between author and audience. Lost squandered six years of that trust. None of the plot elements from the first two-thirds of the story had anything to do with its resolution. The end of the story came from out of left field, as if the Harry Potter series had ended with a cop shooting Voldemort dead. Sorry about all the fuss and bother, Harry. Guess that whole “Chosen One” thing was just a dead end. You were still a great character, though! Give our best to Ron and Hermione!"
GAH!
lol @ people not having "their" questions answered. I bet if everyone compiled a list of questions, there would be hundreds that got lost in the shuffle.Did all MY questions get answered? No. Was I satisified with LOST, as a series? ****ing a-right.Was it likely some cop-outs and shortcuts were used to get to "The End"? Yes. I, for one, do not care and I'm not going to be an uber-geek and sit there picking holes in theories or lamenting the fact there are holes I cannot hope to fill (Hi, Nikki and Paolo!).To me, the best mysteries are the ones that don't answer all the questions, but give one a sense of direction towards a philosophy that may never reach enlightenment. This show is made by humans and viewed by humans and will never ever fulfil any one single person's requirements of "perfect". Just ask Lindelhof and Cuse.
They're not our questions, they're the questions raised by the writers of the show through their storytelling. You introduce a whole bunch of strange things that don't seem to make sense, you raise questions.But what bothered me is not just that they didn't answer questions, it's that they introduced ideas and storylines that seemed important but were subsequently dropped. A good example from this final season was the whole Sayid died-and-came-back-to-life-but-was-evil-and-couldn't-feel-any-emotion storyline. They put it in there, leave viewers wondering "what the hell is that all about?" and then drop it like it never happened.It's almost as though they planned more episodes but some executive came along and said, "Sorry guys, gotta bring and end to this next episode. We'll give you 2.5 hours but that's it."
lol @ those of you trying to fit all the pieces together...Hey! I hear Two and a Half Men is ending. Maybe that show's finale will be more comprehensible for you.
He gave a valid answer to your post and all you have is an idiotic reply.
collegehumor put together a pretty good video of unanswered questions.http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/05/a-li...-lost-questions
My favourite question was "Wait! I thought Nadia was Sayid's soulmate?" when it showed him reuniting with Shannon. Seriously, someone explain that one.
collegehumor put together a pretty good video of unanswered questions.http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/05/a-li...-lost-questions
Pretty damning. This just serves as further evidence that the show isn't perfect and ideally put together, even if the writers claim otherwise. There are just too many loose threads, too many moments where someone did or said something arbitrary for the sake of drama that was never explained or turned out to be pointless.But this doesn't mean that we can't enjoy or praise the show. It gave us 6 long seasons of entertainment, mystery, blogging, researching, theorizing, and the like. Lost is more than the televisions show, it's the world that sprang out of the show. I don't claim that the loose ends make the show pointless ex post facto. They're somewhat bothersome if you think about them, but, really, it's just a TV show, and a pretty darn good one at that, so let's not get too bothered.
He gave a valid answer to your post and all you have is an idiotic reply.
I wasn't responding to Mr. Breslin's comments, which are good (I didn't see them until this morning) and I generally agree with the fact that too many story lines and too many characters bloated things. My point is simply that it's irrelevant to concern one's self with inconsistencies and holes after the fact. I will take what I got from LOST (a terrific network TV experience) and not overinvolve myself with filling in the blanks. I have my regrets that there could, conceivably, have been another season or two, but that doesn't seem possible right now. I'm hoping the season 6 DVD will have some real material to answer some questions, as has been alluded, but I'll not be holding my breath.On a related topic, regarding spin-offs, I haven't seen anyone mention Ben saying "I'm going to stay for a while. I have some things to do." to Hurley. Maybe the wacky adventures of Ben Linus is in the cards...

Nice of you to say.Don't get me wrong, I still think Lost was the most unique and interesting television show in a long time. During my adult life (I'm in my mid-30's) there have been a few shows that have broken new ground and have given viewers something they have never seen before (and spawned endless attempts at imitation). Lost is one of those shows (as were Seinfeld and Survivor, in my opinion). Lost was actually the first non-reality show in many years that I have looked forward to watching every week for its entire duration and it held my interest for six full years. That says a lot because my television tolerance has diminished significantly since I was a teenager. There are plenty of shows that have grabbed me for a short time but I soon gave up on (such as Heroes, the first season of which was absolutely fantastic and then it fell off a cliff after that). This is probably why I was so disappointed with the Lost finale: for me it just didn't live up to what I had come to expect of that show.