So the purpose of the 6 seasons on the island, and all the mystery of it, was just to create the special bond for the purgatory story at the end? I was hugely let down by the finale because they introduced the "parallel world" mysterly in the final season and then basically made the entire show about that one piece and ignored almost all of what kept us intrigued for the first 5 seasons.
No that was not the one and only purpose. There was more than one storyline you know. There was the island mysteries and there was the relationships between the characters. This is a character driven show so they have to do something with the characters at the end and this is what they had chosen to do. They also dealt with the other storyline which was the island and it's mysteries. You know, like Jacob and MIB, and how MIB wanted to get off the island and Jacob made sure to touch all these people's lives so that they would come and hopefully help keep MiB from leaving in case he found a way to kill Jacob, etc, etc, etc.Your use of the word "us" doesn't fit well since not all of us were solely intrigued by only the island side of the story.
  • Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess there are those that were more intrigued by the characters and those that were more intrigued by the island. i was definitely more intrigued by the island. i would have liked to have seen what would have happened had mib got off the island though.

i guess there are those that were more intrigued by the characters and those that were more intrigued by the island. i was definitely more intrigued by the island. i would have liked to have seen what would have happened had mib got off the island though.
I was intrigued by the whole story, both the characters and the mysteries of the island. I agree, I would have been interested as well.
i guess i wasnt happy with the jacob episode which i felt was the weakest of the whole series, so many unanswered questions - for me anyways.2nd question - jacob knows that he is protecting the island and the light and he knows that smokey/mib/flocke is the threat. how come jack is the one who realises that for the island to be saved, smokey/mib/flocke has to be killed and therefore the plug thing needs to be removed. i would have thought that after all that time looking after the island jacob would probably have worked that out and being the all seeing guy that he is - surely he could have worked desmond to do that previously. from my understanding of the candidates, the role of the chosen one was to look after and protect the island - not kill smokey/mib/flocke. again it doesnt make for much of a show and i am nitpicking but i just thought that was odd. i might be, and likely am, way off base.
I still don't get the question. Are you saying that a candidate, i.e., Jack shouldn't have been the one to figure out how to get rid of smokey and that it should have been Jacob instead? Which doesn't make sense because Jacob already tried to off the MiB once and that didn't work so I don't think he could have gotten rid of him even if he'd figured out the cork thing. Right? Or am I now confused?

I too was intrigued by the characters and the mystery, but you have to admit that a HUGE part of what made this show unique was the island mystery. And to leave that all behind with a simple "everything that happened, happened," so they could focus the 2.5 hour finale on the characters and relationships was a big letdown.I don't expect all my questions answered, but I do think that if you're going to pull viewers into a show by creating mysteries and raising interesting questions, including the final season raising even more questions, you really should at least tie up some of the loose ends. I hate the fact that I have found this to be the best show on television for 6 years and I'm left thoroughly disappointed by the final episode. It's a bit like watching an incredible movie or reading an amazing book that completely lets you down with the ending.

Because Juliet wasn't part of that connection. People remembered when they were connected with the right person. Jack remembers with Kate, Sayid remembers with Shannon, Ben remembers with Desmond beating the crap out of him, etc etc. Juliet's connection was with Sawyer.They explained Jacob 3 episodes ago. I don't understand your second question. Jacob didn't want the plug undone.In regards to the 3rd question, I think the island and what happened on it is what created the special bond between them all. Jacob said to the remaining candidates that they were chosen because they had no purpose, no life, so they had nothing to lose by having him choose them and put the plan in motion. But by experiencing all the island stuff they loved and were loved and had meaning. So I don't think any plain old island would have created the bonds and such because a lot of what happened would not have happened.
did they really explain anything about him---what did we actually learn? just that he has a mother and brother -- which neither have names.anything of substance --nopehow does Jacob travel the world? how does his lighthouse work? his powers when he touches people? the list goes on and on Jacob caused everything through his "mistake" and his actions afterwards. We know absolutely nothing about him---
I was intrigued by the whole story, both the characters and the mysteries of the island. I agree, I would have been interested as well.
ftw-- I was in this show for the island and the mystery. If I was looking for a characters driven show there are a hundred other channels offering those. This was the only show where an island was doing things I wanted explained-- I wanted answer and if those answers let me know what happened to Jack and Kate for example-- greatIt just seems that the ending was figured out so it became about characters not the mystery. Starting with season 5 " everything matters" "what has happened, happened" They really started hitting us over the head with this island is real!seems to me it is lot easier to say the show has always been about characters then actually answering all the questions you used to drag the viewer through each season
I still don't get the question. Are you saying that a candidate, i.e., Jack shouldn't have been the one to figure out how to get rid of smokey and that it should have been Jacob instead? Which doesn't make sense because Jacob already tried to off the MiB once and that didn't work so I don't think he could have gotten rid of him even if he'd figured out the cork thing. Right? Or am I now confused?
i guess my question is why didnt he get desmond to kill mib, or alpert? they were on the island way before the 'candidates'. did he need to wait for the candidates in case desmond or anyone else ****ed it up?! if the cork thing meant that mib was temporarily able to be killed, would that have meant that jacob could have killed him directly? so many more questions, ahh!

lol @ people not having "their" questions answered. I bet if everyone compiled a list of questions, there would be hundreds that got lost in the shuffle.Did all MY questions get answered? No. Was I satisified with LOST, as a series? ****ing a-right.Was it likely some cop-outs and shortcuts were used to get to "The End"? Yes. I, for one, do not care and I'm not going to be an uber-geek and sit there picking holes in theories or lamenting the fact there are holes I cannot hope to fill (Hi, Nikki and Paolo!).To me, the best mysteries are the ones that don't answer all the questions, but give one a sense of direction towards a philosophy that may never reach enlightenment. This show is made by humans and viewed by humans and will never ever fulfil any one single person's requirements of "perfect". Just ask Lindelhof and Cuse.

I looking forward to LOST: The NEW Survivors, which will be made in about 3 years.The island was saved, and Hurley found a new candidate obviously, so there is a whole new group of people who come to the island etc.Since the island wasn't destroyed, the writers will get to create a whole new show to answer all these questions, all while making some serious new money.It's genius!

I looking forward to LOST: The NEW Survivors, which will be made in about 3 years.The island was saved, and Hurley found a new candidate obviously, so there is a whole new group of people who come to the island etc.Since the island wasn't destroyed, the writers will get to create a whole new show to answer all these questions, all while making some serious new money.It's genius!
haha i love that idea
i guess there are those that were more intrigued by the characters and those that were more intrigued by the island. i was definitely more intrigued by the island.
absolutely. remember back in season 3 (?) when they seemed to alternate each week between a cool mystery/island focused episode, and a boring character focused one? i'm really glad that they decided that it was more important to proclaim in the end that the show was really all about the shitty episodes from the start.
lol @ people not having "their" questions answered. I bet if everyone compiled a list of questions, there would be hundreds that got lost in the shuffle.
They're not our questions, they're the questions raised by the writers of the show through their storytelling. You introduce a whole bunch of strange things that don't seem to make sense, you raise questions.But what bothered me is not just that they didn't answer questions, it's that they introduced ideas and storylines that seemed important but were subsequently dropped. A good example from this final season was the whole Sayid died-and-came-back-to-life-but-was-evil-and-couldn't-feel-any-emotion storyline. They put it in there, leave viewers wondering "what the hell is that all about?" and then drop it like it never happened.It's almost as though they planned more episodes but some executive came along and said, "Sorry guys, gotta bring and end to this next episode. We'll give you 2.5 hours but that's it."
They're not our questions, they're the questions raised by the writers of the show through their storytelling. You introduce a whole bunch of strange things that don't seem to make sense, you raise questions.But what bothered me is not just that they didn't answer questions, it's that they introduced ideas and storylines that seemed important but were subsequently dropped. A good example from this final season was the whole Sayid died-and-came-back-to-life-but-was-evil-and-couldn't-feel-any-emotion storyline. They put it in there, leave viewers wondering "what the hell is that all about?" and then drop it like it never happened.It's almost as though they planned more episodes but some executive came along and said, "Sorry guys, gotta bring and end to this next episode. We'll give you 2.5 hours but that's it."
I thought that Sayid was given a chance to be the island's protector, but instead he failed with his choices in life to be worthy, and as such was allowed to be turned by the MIB.He couldn't be killed by the MIB before, but now he could, so instead the MIB decided to place heavy influences on him. Kind of like Satan promising things that were not able to be given, the MIB offered things to Clair like getting her baby back, and to John, he offered to bring his wife back. To Sayid he offered to bring back Nadia. He lied to them and they were all allowed to choose to believe him, even thought they knew that it wasn't within the MIB's power to give it to them. But they were willing to give up to hold onto some slim hope. At the end, all of them faced up to the lie and rejected the MIB's promises. So they weren't possessed, just influenced.
It's almost as though they planned more episodes but some executive came along and said, "Sorry guys, gotta bring and end to this next episode. We'll give you 2.5 hours but that's it."
the utterly lame everybody reunites and goes to heaven and 5 seasons of mysteries never really mattered ending does seem like evidence that the producers did have grander plans and were forced to simplify things due to time constraints. i don't think there is any chance the ending was conceived prior to season 6. it probably was thought up DURING S6 since there were so many plot points early on in the ALT that ended up being totally irrelevant.
the utterly lame everybody reunites and goes to heaven and 5 seasons of mysteries never really mattered ending does seem like evidence that the producers did have grander plans and were forced to simplify things due to time constraints. i don't think there is any chance the ending was conceived prior to season 6. it probably was thought up DURING S6 since there were so many plot points early on in the ALT that ended up being totally irrelevant.
According to wiki [backup, more]:Although initially hesitant, Abrams warmed up to the idea on the condition that the series would have a supernatural angle to it, and collaborated with Damon Lindelof to create the series' style and characters.[13] Together, Abrams and Lindelof also created a series "bible", and conceived and detailed the major mythological ideas and plot points for an ideal four to five season run for the show.[14][15] The development of the show was constrained by tight deadlines, as it had been commissioned late in the 2004 season's development cycle.I don't have time to check, but those two links are citations 14 and 15 from the wiki article. I might be doing it wrong too.

I think this article is pretty good. spoilers at linkThe Betrayal of MysteryIf you enjoyed the finale of Lost, I’m not writing this to challenge your taste. You have nothing to apologize for, or defend. There’s nothing “wrong” with cherishing the fine acting and emotional resonance of its reunions and farewells. For my part, I loved the early years of Lost, which I would happily have declared the greatest television drama of all time, in the moment when Jack’s season-ending “flashback” was shockingly revealed to be a flash-forward. I absolutely hate what the show degenerated into. I thought the plot of the finale was a stunning act of creative cowardice, which no amount of effort from the talented cast could redeem. I offer these thoughts as a memorial to what I thought Lost was trying to be, and a critique from someone fascinated by the art of storytelling.The most common defense of the finale, along with the formless mass of random events and dead-end plotlines the series became, is the assertion that only the characters truly mattered. The plot was a bit of intellectual stage lighting, designed to illuminate them from various angles. Personally, I think both plot and characters are essential components of drama. Does anyone seriously think Lost would have been nearly as popular if it had followed the exact same characters, living humdrum lives in suburbia?To excuse the empty “secrets” and arbitrary plot points of the show is tantamount to saying it only matters who the characters are, not what theydo. This is a profound contradiction of the philosophy expressed during the show. Much was said about the importance of making choices. The wizard Jacob explicitly states, in one of the last episodes, that his millennia-long existence has been shaped by his desire to give others a choice in determining their fates… but the characters, and the audience, are completely in the dark about the rules and consequences governing these choices. Powerful forces, like the Smoke Monster, operate by utterly arbitrary rules, revealed very late in the game. In other words, the choice being offered to our heroes is a blind choice… and how is that really a “choice” at all?[cont'd at link]

I thought this was a good line from the above article:The reason everyone immediately rewinds The Sixth Sense after seeing it for the first time is that it plays fair. It shows the audience certain things, with complete honesty, and the audience misinterprets what it’s seeing.

I thought this was a good line from the above article:The reason everyone immediately rewinds The Sixth Sense after seeing it for the first time is that it plays fair. It shows the audience certain things, with complete honesty, and the audience misinterprets what it’s seeing.
Similar to Fight Club too.
Similar to Fight Club too.
thanks for that article-- it was spot on I really feel exactly like the writer. The whole finale is just a plain lie or at least Juliet was lying. Juliet did not have island awareness till she met Sawyer at the vending machine so stating it worked is a joke. She wasn't dead yet but she know about la's purgatory but does not know it is not an alternative timeline. ugh- head hurtsThey promised answers for four seasons then the last two, well we will answer most. Then saying it is up to the viewer to provide your own personal answer.When the producers say it will make sense I guess they were lying I mean "story telling" again

lol @ those of you trying to fit all the pieces together...Hey! I hear Two and a Half Men is ending. Maybe that show's finale will be more comprehensible for you.

lol @ those of you trying to fit all the pieces together...Hey! I hear Two and a Half Men is ending. Maybe that show's finale will be more comprehensible for you.
lol @ you for saying "lol @..." repeatedly