From what I've read there are 2 types of Lost fans - the ones interested in the characters, and the ones interested in the mystery. Me? I say fuck the characters, they're all pretty stupid and annoying. I really didn't need to see all the couples reunite and have lovey dovey schmultzy moments. I don't want them all to be happy in the end and yadda yadda. If you care about characters there are plenty of stupid sitcoms that will give you all the "awwww" moments your heart desires.
Maybe you will like the characters better if you watch this version:
  • Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where have you been? They have said explicitly many times that they WILL NOT answer all questions. Do you really need to know a name whereas what we already call him is good enough?Christian's body? He became alive in the alt-timeline which is an entire other story, therefore, he can't be in the casket.Also, this was Lost's intention, to leave it up to you to what you make of it, something that producers have never done before.____________As well as this, the scene with Jack's eye is very important. I know you guys might not think back to it, but after watching it.. that is the place where he awoke in the Pilot. The scene with his eye opening in the very first episode of the show.. sort of ironic, but well fitting when you put the pieces together; which is what this show made us do so many times.I love a mystery. I love when my eyes are widened and my appeal is broadened even more. This opened my mind more than it should have. For that, a job well done.
that is the whole point. I have been here for six seasons/120 hours of episodes. When you present questions to get viewers attached there is a reasonable expectation to get those questions answered. I mean giving birth to twins and saying I only picked one name is a slap in the face. The analogy by another poster of a magic trick does not seem correct. When I see a magic trick I understand I will not be told how it was done. When I am watching a tv mystery the expecation is I will be told how it is done. I stated, I hated the ambivalance but enjoyed the ride. Lost is one of my top five shows of all time. It just seems like some answers would have been easy. I used the MIB's name because of how easy his mother could have said his name. Instead they have Jacob call him brother the whole episode of across the sea. ugh-A more serious question I was upset about was how long did Kate, Sawyer and the lot live after a jack died and before the church meeting---fingers crossed the dvd is revealing

major issues that were not resolve for me-- maybe somebody knowswho built the temple?hoe does the lighthouse see all over the world?how did jacob move around the world on visits off the island?who the hell is Jacob?fertility issues?I mean the whole show is really jacob. He is the cause of everything. ( creates smokey, picks candidates, brings people to the island, leads through his advisor Richard, etc) We really do not know anything about the guy-I know they can not answer everything and the producers said as much, but are these major questions

slap in the face to 1/2 their fans that care about more than the characters' relationships.
Man...you were that into the mysteries behind the island and whatnot?
That's one week. A lot of the shows I was referring to are off season right now (True Blood for instance is coming back soon, and that has shapeshifters, vampires AND werewolfs).
True Blood would not make the top 25. Neither would any other show you were referring to, I'm guessing.
I think my problem with the alt-timeline is that it existed in the first place. I can't imagine one explanation that would have satisfied me. It had no point and added nothing to the plot or the characters.
Hi, you guys don't seem to get the point of the alternate timeline. The point being that there was no alternate timeline in the first place.
so in the afterlife your conscious enters a giant video game?
Man I hope so.
The analogy by another poster of a magic trick does not seem correct. When I see a magic trick I understand I will not be told how it was done. When I am watching a tv mystery the expecation is I will be told how it is done.
There's no way they could have truly explained everything and answer all questions without some kind of ridiculous shit like "it was a dream", "god did it", or something else that basically says "magic is magic and that's the way it goes". Would that have really made you feel better?
Hi, you guys don't seem to get the point of the alternate timeline. The point being that there was no alternate timeline in the first place.
I know what it is. It's purgatory, everything on the island happened, then they all eventually died and met up in purgatory to go to heaven or whatever. I've referred to it as the alt-timeline throughout the entire season, and that's what I mentally refer to it as. It still has no point.
Man...you were that into the mysteries behind the island and whatnot?
whether they admit it or not that was the reason almost everyone got hooked in the first place. if it was just a castaway show it wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons.
I know what it is. It's purgatory, everything on the island happened, then they all eventually died and met up in purgatory to go to heaven or whatever. I've referred to it as the alt-timeline throughout the entire season, and that's what I mentally refer to it as. It still has no point.
It had a point, just not one you liked. But, I guess that's just semantics. Sort of.
whether they admit it or not that was the reason almost everyone got hooked in the first place. if it was just a castaway show it wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons.
It's about the relationships!Alternately: I don't mean other people, I mean you. Not that I know you at all, really.
The "Jeff fucking Probst!" alternate ending on Jimmy Kimmel was outstanding.
Disagree, I thought it was too obvious for it to be anywhere near outstanding. But, I thought they were all pretty iffy at best and not very funny.

I have no idea why, but the only question I had about the last episode is:When Jin, Sun, and Juliet are in the room doing the ultra sound, why does Jin remember everything from the island and Juliet doesn't? That connection was only felt between Sun and Juliet, Jin was not a part of that.I liked it fine...sure there are some questions that seemed important that didn't get answered, but like it was said, they weren't going to answer everything anyway.

my theory on lost is the show had to be changed because the ending was already figured out. The popular theory during the second season was the island was purgatory. The producers (mainly Carlton Cuse ) have denied this. They would mostly laugh. I think they had to come up with a new ending. The sideway season 6 was born. It just seems like all the plot points from seaon 1 and 2 disappeared around this time. here is the link-http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Purgatory_(debunked_theory)fertility issues, Walt ( age was also a concern), Elko wanted off the show, the others stealing babies. Cartlon Cuse has stated Elko was to be a major player in the ending but had to be changed when he wanted off the show. I believe all/most religions have "exemptions" for children to gain entrance into heaven. The lack of children and Walt being "special" along with the island being about redemption sure seems like purgatory. The fertility also would be explained about not wanting births in purgatory. The redemption is on the island not in LA. I think they adjusted the purgatory to La. You can't have it on the island when you have denied it for three years. If it was not the ending why stick to the purgatory theme? I mean the reunion could have happened on the island instead of the church. Just seems a little weird that people figured the whole theme out years before the finale.

so they really didnt explain anything about the island, or jacob, at all. Why didn't jacob just get desmond to go and unplug the light plug thing when he first got out of the hatch if that was all that jack was gonna do when he took over? Seems like he knew that that needed to be done and it would have saved a lot of trouble.if they all died and met up in purgatory after some of them died/some got off the island, then did it really matter which island they landed on in the first place?was the islands sole purpose to provide each character with a purpose/redemption? aside from their being some extra people in purgatory in the final scene, if they had landed on a different island with no mythical features and survived, they would all still have known each other and had a 'shared experience' that jack's dad referred to at the end. obviously it would have made for a much shittier show but for all they actually explained about the island, they may as well have just landed on a random rock with no abnormal features.

The above post about the writers originally intending the whole thing to be purgatory makes some sense.
ya i agree. i would rather have most people know that the island was purgatory and have a lot more make sense.
Also, this was Lost's intention, to leave it up to you to what you make of it, something that producers have never done before.
This is a really weak argument after the work they put into confusing the hell out of us.And speaking of leaving things up the viewer, they did accomplish one thing I never thought be beaten, a worse ending than the Sopranos.
This is a really weak argument after the work they put into confusing the hell out of us.And speaking of leaving things up the viewer, they did accomplish one thing I never thought be beaten, a worse ending than the Sopranos.
I see your point, in that I liked the Sopranos ending. Without direct knowledge, I know David Chase wrote that episode. It wasn't perfect, but it felt personal having its own voice. This always feels remarkable to me, because a tv show or a movie is made to be seen by millions.The Lost finale wasn't quite as good to me, but I can't say I'm that interested in watching a fan's version.
True Blood would not make the top 25. Neither would any other show you were referring to, I'm guessing.
Pah, you can hawk those ratings as much as you want but everyone knows that TV ratings are worthless nowadays, what with Tivo, the internet, the sampling system they use etc. They don't accurately reflect what is being watched, and what people want to see. Just look at the success of films like Twilight and you can see that the trend in entertainment is toward vampires and the supernatural etc. If you don't expect that to be translated into the TV market you are a silly old fool.
I have no idea why, but the only question I had about the last episode is:When Jin, Sun, and Juliet are in the room doing the ultra sound, why does Jin remember everything from the island and Juliet doesn't? That connection was only felt between Sun and Juliet, Jin was not a part of that.
Because Juliet wasn't part of that connection. People remembered when they were connected with the right person. Jack remembers with Kate, Sayid remembers with Shannon, Ben remembers with Desmond beating the crap out of him, etc etc. Juliet's connection was with Sawyer.
so they really didnt explain anything about the island, or jacob, at all. Why didn't jacob just get desmond to go and unplug the light plug thing when he first got out of the hatch if that was all that jack was gonna do when he took over? Seems like he knew that that needed to be done and it would have saved a lot of trouble.if they all died and met up in purgatory after some of them died/some got off the island, then did it really matter which island they landed on in the first place?was the islands sole purpose to provide each character with a purpose/redemption? aside from their being some extra people in purgatory in the final scene, if they had landed on a different island with no mythical features and survived, they would all still have known each other and had a 'shared experience' that jack's dad referred to at the end. obviously it would have made for a much shittier show but for all they actually explained about the island, they may as well have just landed on a random rock with no abnormal features.
They explained Jacob 3 episodes ago. I don't understand your second question. Jacob didn't want the plug undone.In regards to the 3rd question, I think the island and what happened on it is what created the special bond between them all. Jacob said to the remaining candidates that they were chosen because they had no purpose, no life, so they had nothing to lose by having him choose them and put the plan in motion. But by experiencing all the island stuff they loved and were loved and had meaning. So I don't think any plain old island would have created the bonds and such because a lot of what happened would not have happened.
In regards to the 3rd question, I think the island and what happened on it is what created the special bond between them all. Jacob said to the remaining candidates that they were chosen because they had no purpose, no life, so they had nothing to lose by having him choose them and put the plan in motion. But by experiencing all the island stuff they loved and were loved and had meaning. So I don't think any plain old island would have created the bonds and such because a lot of what happened would not have happened.
So the purpose of the 6 seasons on the island, and all the mystery of it, was just to create the special bond for the purgatory story at the end? I was hugely let down by the finale because they introduced the "parallel world" mysterly in the final season and then basically made the entire show about that one piece and ignored almost all of what kept us intrigued for the first 5 seasons.
so they really didnt explain anything about the island, or jacob, at all. Why didn't jacob just get desmond to go and unplug the light plug thing when he first got out of the hatch if that was all that jack was gonna do when he took over? Seems like he knew that that needed to be done and it would have saved a lot of trouble.
Removing the plug made the MIB vulnerable. But Jacob wasn't allowed to kill his brother, just like the MIB wasn't allowed to kill Jacob.Plus the plug gave them a very short window of time to accomplish the goal of killing the MIB, because the island would be destroyed if the plug didn't go back in within the ~hour..
Because Juliet wasn't part of that connection. People remembered when they were connected with the right person. Jack remembers with Kate, Sayid remembers with Shannon, Ben remembers with Desmond beating the crap out of him, etc etc. Juliet's connection was with Sawyer.They explained Jacob 3 episodes ago. I don't understand your second question. Jacob didn't want the plug undone.In regards to the 3rd question, I think the island and what happened on it is what created the special bond between them all. Jacob said to the remaining candidates that they were chosen because they had no purpose, no life, so they had nothing to lose by having him choose them and put the plan in motion. But by experiencing all the island stuff they loved and were loved and had meaning. So I don't think any plain old island would have created the bonds and such because a lot of what happened would not have happened.
i guess i wasnt happy with the jacob episode which i felt was the weakest of the whole series, so many unanswered questions - for me anyways.2nd question - jacob knows that he is protecting the island and the light and he knows that smokey/mib/flocke is the threat. how come jack is the one who realises that for the island to be saved, smokey/mib/flocke has to be killed and therefore the plug thing needs to be removed. i would have thought that after all that time looking after the island jacob would probably have worked that out and being the all seeing guy that he is - surely he could have worked desmond to do that previously. from my understanding of the candidates, the role of the chosen one was to look after and protect the island - not kill smokey/mib/flocke. again it doesnt make for much of a show and i am nitpicking but i just thought that was odd. i might be, and likely am, way off base.