Religimyth...

Right, cause any of what you just said makes your point valid..... :club: // Its fair to say you pick and chose what to believe so you dont shatter your precious world. The same world that allows for a jealous God.again, you dont even know when Christ was born, yet you're going to comment on the accuracy of Carbon Dating..Right, it was called the Big Bang. If God had created the heavens, and earth and sun and blah blah.. Did he or she create other galaxies and planets?? I mean, if they were so close together, he or she must have? right?so where is the mention on this? where does God talk about the infinite amount of other planets, or cosmic phenomenas like a supernova... surely the Bible would have detailed information about this. I mean, a god that can make a planet, and a sun, and a couple people. psshh ya thats easy, that i get.But a God who can make an expanding universe, planets and sun's that reach a number so great ,its almost unimaginable.. Heck. I'd worship that dude. too bad, there isnt one...yes. it has been narrowed down. You see, they reached the year 117 - 138 because of the style of script. If it was a copy, the style of script would date back earlier, but the date of the copy would be laterIts too bad, thats not the case... well too bad for religious buffs i guess. cuz right now, their new testament is nothing more than a couple kids who thought it would be cool to makeup stories about a super human, who can walk on water and totally pwns the Romans with his prophecies. Cast a stone he says! Cast a stone.Man that's good.
You really have no concept of how badly thought out all your points here are do you?You are arguing that there is no God because there are a lot of planets and stars and stuff and no way He could make them all.The truth is you are a completely shallow thinker who read a book and you think you are an expert.You are so far removed from a starting point that we can work from that even the people on your side of the argument are trying to correct you, or were. I'd be willing to bet they are all hoping you go away before you embarrass their side anymore.Please seek to elevate your ability to think so we can discuss things in the future.Or you can declare victory here and pretend you slammed me with your quick wit and deep knowledge. It's what crow would do.
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you skip the none sense and actually create replies that matter?Your eating your own words. You said. and i quote "Don't have any websites, and the question isn't are dating methods bad, it is How old was the earth when God made it?"You just said its not a question of dating methods, but dating methods prove the earth to be over 4billion years old.
You first
I mean, a god that can make a planet, and a sun, and a couple people. psshh ya thats easy, that i get.But a God who can make an expanding universe, planets and sun's that reach a number so great ,its almost unimaginable..
I'm not going to pretend that I either a) read most of this debate or b) care, but this was really funny to me.Why would you put limits on a being that is by definition capable of anything?
I'm not going to pretend that I either a) read most of this debate or B) care, but this was really funny to me.Why would you put limits on a being that is by definition capable of anything?
wait...what?Random chance did it, but God..no way dude
You really have no concept of how badly thought out all your points here are do you?You are arguing that there is no God because there are a lot of planets and stars and stuff and no way He could make them all.The truth is you are a completely shallow thinker who read a book and you think you are an expert.
I'm not arguing there is no God. I'm arguing the point of Christianity and the Bible. I think if there is a God, he/she/it wouldn't make itself known to us.You on the other hand worship writings from a Book. A book that makes no mention to any of this. Yet im the shallow thinker?
You are so far removed from a starting point that we can work from that even the people on your side of the argument are trying to correct you, or were. I'd be willing to bet they are all hoping you go away before you embarrass their side anymore.Please seek to elevate your ability to think so we can discuss things in the future.Or you can declare victory here and pretend you slammed me with your quick wit and deep knowledge. It's what crow would do.
Are you kidding me?again, you refuse to rebuttal any of my claims, and you chalk it up to my lack of an argument? You would think these would be the easiest arguments to win... but yet you've proven no valid reasoning for your side of this debate.You continue to attack the idea of science and technology because you don't understand its cause. You take pride in a book that you don't fully understand.Its the reason i'm trying to simplify my argument for you to understand so you can rebuttal (well trying is the wrong word, bbecause you still dont' get it)
I'm not going to pretend that I either a) read most of this debate or B) care, but this was really funny to me.Why would you put limits on a being that is by definition capable of anything?
because there is no Mention of it.You would think something as crazy as the universe needs its own section in the old testament.
because there is no Mention of it.You would think something as crazy as the universe needs its own section in the old testament.
Well, that has nothing to do with what I quoted, but ok.Why do you think the Bible needs to mention it? How big of a book do you think the Bible would be if it had to mention all the wonders of the universe?
Well, that has nothing to do with what I quoted, but ok.
sure it does. I didnt put limits on God. I said God created heaven and earth, adam and eve. etc... And then said, If there was mention of a God who created the craziness that is the universe, well that I would totally follow
Why do you think the Bible needs to mention it? How big of a book do you think the Bible would be if it had to mention all the wonders of the universe?
It doesnt matter. Its not mentioned because 2000 years ago, they had no idea what they were talking about. Religion is merely a poor explanation for the world we live in.
This is, like, the worst debate I've ever participated in.
you're right. mostly because you come out of left field with a random comment that doesnt make much sense."how big would the bible be if it had to mention the universe"wtf am i supposed to say to that?? LOL!!and as for BG's responses. well i dont expect much. anyone who believes the earth is 6000 years old has issues.
That is a nice story.It doesn't fit with the rest of Osiris' story, leaves out huge parts and attempts to force it to look like the story of Christ,
Well, I don't think that's a totally fair analysis. I was obviously mentioning just (some of) the similarities between Christ and Osiris, so of course I left out the differences and the whole rest of the Osiris story. In the language I used, such as "resurrection," and "Heaven," you are sort of right that I was forcing it to look like the Jesus story. But, as I just said, the point was to show the similarities. So yes, according to the stories I've read he was not "resurrected" in the way that Christ was, but rather that he was reborn in a sort of "Heaven." He did then judge the dead and grant the possibility of eternal life through himself, and there was a whole thing about his body being metaphorical bread, and on and on. Dismissing all the similarities as nothing more than me (or actual scholars) trying to twist the facts to make it fit the theory, well I think that's unfair and ignores some very blatant, specific, similarities.
mostly because you come out of left field with a random comment that doesnt make much sense."how big would the bible be if it had to mention the universe"wtf am i supposed to say to that?? LOL!!
First of all, I said "all the wonders of the universe," not "the universe."For some reason you think the Bible should mention "cosmic phenomenas like a supernova."I'm saying there is an incredible amount of amazing things out there that we know about and probably an even larger amount of amazing things that we haven't discovered yet. In 500 years when another big scientific discovery happens, Royal Tour the 16th will be saying, why doesn't the Bible say anything about this?It's not relevant.
Well, I don't think that's a totally fair analysis. I was obviously mentioning just (some of) the similarities between Christ and Osiris, so of course I left out the differences and the whole rest of the Osiris story. In the language I used, such as "resurrection," and "Heaven," you are sort of right that I was forcing it to look like the Jesus story. But, as I just said, the point was to show the similarities. So yes, according to the stories I've read he was not "resurrected" in the way that Christ was, but rather that he was reborn in a sort of "Heaven." He did then judge the dead and grant the possibility of eternal life through himself, and there was a whole thing about his body being metaphorical bread, and on and on. Dismissing all the similarities as nothing more than me (or actual scholars) trying to twist the facts to make it fit the theory, well I think that's unfair and ignores some very blatant, specific, similarities.
If you would like me to say that there are some similarities to some ancient stories than I will.But these similarities are not close enough to justify making the claim that the story of Christ is a blatant plagiarism of these stories.Especially when you look at the soap opera like greek mythology stories and how far removed the story of Christ is from these.
This is, like, the worst debate I've ever participated in.
What's worse?His arguments?Or his incredulous attitude that we don't understand how deep his points are?I think it's a tie, brackets wouldn't work here.
You mean like Genesis?
I'm not arguing there is no God. I'm arguing the point of Christianity and the Bible. I think if there is a God, he/she/it wouldn't make itself known to us.
well if you think so..then I'm sure God will change everything to fit your opinion.
You on the other hand worship writings from a Book. A book that makes no mention to any of this. Yet im the shallow thinker?
Yes...
Are you kidding me?again, you refuse to rebuttal any of my claims, and you chalk it up to my lack of an argument? You would think these would be the easiest arguments to win... but yet you've proven no valid reasoning for your side of this debate.You continue to attack the idea of science and technology because you don't understand its cause. You take pride in a book that you don't fully understand.Its the reason i'm trying to simplify my argument for you to understand so you can rebuttal (well trying is the wrong word, bbecause you still dont' get it)
I know one of us doesn't get it, I just think you are wrong on WHOM that person is.
sure it does. I didnt put limits on God. I said God created heaven and earth, adam and eve. etc... And then said, If there was mention of a God who created the craziness that is the universe, well that I would totally follow
cool, this will be fast.Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Okay, one more believer to counter the vast hundreds of atheist swelling to buy books from Dawkins.
It doesnt matter. Its not mentioned because 2000 years ago, they had no idea what they were talking about. Religion is merely a poor explanation for the world we live in.
Which world? Yours in Canada, or a tribesman in Zambia?Can't belivee I am using the Jonathan Livingston Seagull defense
If you would like me to say that there are some similarities to some ancient stories than I will.
I think that's as big of a win as I'm ever gonna get from you!....Even though you're basically just stating an irrefutable fact.Also though, I don't necessarily think that the Jesus story was complete plagiarism, but I do think that the comparisons should make some of his supernatural "abilities" come under greater scrutiny, when you see other, more ancient messiahs or gods endowed with similar abilities.
You mean like Genesis?
:club: i was waiting for you to say this.You crazy old Kook! The book of Genesis is the only thread bible thumpers can turn to when trying to debate mention of the Universe.The following are the Two most prominent examples of how Christians will try to link the reality of the universe with the bibleJob 26:7, which states that God “hangs the earth on nothing.”Isaiah 40:22 teaches that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain and spreads them out like a tent to dwell inThe miniscule amount of information is not convincing what so ever.
The miniscule amount of information is not convincing what so ever.
Why do you think the Bible needs to discuss specific aspects of the universe?I'm not trying to argue for one side or the other; I just don't get why you think this means anything.
Why do you think the Bible needs to discuss specific aspects of the universe?I'm not trying to argue for one side or the other; I just don't get why you think this means anything.
I dont think i can answer this without coming under scrutiny. but meh,Personally, the bible has done so much to answer questions about the life of Jesus. about how we are to live our lives. About the teachings from God.a text book on life and how we came to be... if you will.if i was to turn to religion (the bible) for answers, i would want to see some explanation about why the universe is so large, why there are other planets, why do various solar systems exist. Are the creatures of planet earth, the only living breathing creatures in the universe? All things that humans living 2000 years ago, would have no way of knowing unless spoken to from God. (which is why, its not in the bible)The bible makes no efforts to answer these questions that have now come to surface over the last 500 years.
:club: i was waiting for you to say this.You crazy old Kook! The book of Genesis is the only thread bible thumpers can turn to when trying to debate mention of the Universe.The following are the Two most prominent examples of how Christians will try to link the reality of the universe with the bibleJob 26:7, which states that God “hangs the earth on nothing.”Isaiah 40:22 teaches that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain and spreads them out like a tent to dwell inThe miniscule amount of information is not convincing what so ever.
Ohhh you got me.You got me to admit that the Bible is not nor was it ever intended to be a science text book.I'm not sure why you think this is relevant to anything, but it would appear that this makes you happy.Enjoy yourself
I think that's as big of a win as I'm ever gonna get from you!....Even though you're basically just stating an irrefutable fact.
It is refutable because we don't know if the people in backwater Judea had any copies of the Roman and Greek stories of their gods to copy from, or if they came about these stories because they lived nextdoor to Jesus
Also though, I don't necessarily think that the Jesus story was complete plagiarism, but I do think that the comparisons should make some of his supernatural "abilities" come under greater scrutiny, when you see other, more ancient messiahs or gods endowed with similar abilities.
I would argue that the inherent belief in the concept of God we all have ( reference to the God Shaped Hole in All of Us song in movie Bruce Almighty ) would give us all a similar understanding of God and His attributes in our brains.So any similarities between stories of great powers could easily fit together based on our inherent understanding of God couldn't they?
Well, it did.
Wanted to get back to this.Could you tell me when you think the Bible was changed
Ahhh if only scientific knowledge never changed, then we could still be riding horses to work and dying of bacterial infections at the age of 30!
Pretty sure all the enlightened people use the number 40 years
Greek mythology is so much cooler than biblical mythology. You guys don't even have a horse with wings.
No but we have the eternal life for anyone who asks part, which is nice

Royal Tour, an omission of a truth by the bible is not an argument against it's veracity. It doesn't claim to contain everything that is true.

Wanted to get back to this.Could you tell me when you think the Bible was changed
Well I'm sure it's been changed many times through re-writing and translation, but I was mostly referring to the huge value shifts from the Old Testament to the New Testament.