GOD bless you and your's Daniel. Your mom and mine had their strokes about the same time. My Mom died 3 days after hers. I remember commenting on this forum at the time. Your Mom really did so well...for you and the family. You and your family handled all of this so well. You were actually an inspiration to me during the time. Your words in this blog really comforted me at that time. Again, may GOD bless you and yours in this time of pain/sorrow/and relief. griffish

Daniel my thoughts are with you. My father passed when I was 10 and you're an inspiration on many levels. I wish you and yours nothing but the best in this time of sadness.

I know this likely won't get read, but want to pass it along anyway...Joan Halifax Roshi is a Buddhist leader who specializes in working with the dying. She writes a lot about end-of-life issues (her Being With Dying and Stan Goldberg's Lessons for the Living are both outstanding).She observed that it is "surprisingly common" for people to peacefully slip away when they are alone, especially when they are caring, loving people who always gave to others. Even when they seem unaware of their surroundings, they always know when loved ones are there, and they want to spare them the trauma of having to witness death. One woman she writes of dies when her daughter goes down to the cafeteria for dinner, and she says she's heard of people going when their loved ones went to get a doctor and were only out of the room for a moment.Survivors sometimes beat themselves up for "not being there when it counted," but Halifax Roshi says this is the last thing the dying person wanted, and it is always their wishes that matter most. It is vitally important to them that the last gift they can give is one of not letting their loved ones suffer the last moment. Just as a loving mother would shield her sons from witnessing a murder or a fatal car wreck, a loving mother at the end will shield her sons from standing by her bedside in helpless pain.So, for Daniel and Mike and everyone else who find themselves in this situation (including me, as I wasn't there when my father died), don't feel guilty or beat yourselves up if your loved one slipped away while alone. It was no failure on your part. It was a supreme act of love on theirs.Peace and love,Arlynda