Random Entertainment Observations

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

say that to LLY 's face like a real man

Oh my ****ing GOD! http://deadline.com/2015/04/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-sketch-comedy-series-netflix-1201403256/   Bob is not only in the best Drama on tv, but he's going to be in the best comedy t

You misspelled insipid.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone seen this horse crap John Adams? I slogged through it, and I found it to be really painful to watch. There is plenty about it's historical POV that tilted me. Adams couldn't be more unlikable, I'm curious if that was the film makers intention or if I just brought my own baggage. I'd describe his characterization to be Nixonian, which was kinda interesting, but made it difficult to care about his non-revolutionary dramas.. But what really annoyed me about the mini series, is that the dialog was ripped straight out of letters, or historical quotes attributed to Adams ( and others). Which made the dialog tedious and unnatural at times. There was something shakespearian to the delivery of these monologs, but absent completely Shakespeare's art and wit. It was basically everything I hate about Biographical movies, but in slow motion over 7 hours. The problem with Biopics, in general, is your story telling is shackled by your requirement of showing certain events in a certain way. It makes constructing drama, and crafting an actual story difficult. It makes it all the more difficult when you're cramming passages from letters ( which aren't conversational) into dialog, and much more unpleasant as a viewing experience. When I watch a Biopic, I want to be transported to a place and time, not get a soliloquy highlight reel. That's why I enjoyed Lincoln. That was telling a specific story, and had a specific drama, not an amorphous depiction of a life. Also the deification of Jefferson and the villianization of the Federalists made me groan, again and again.

The personal family drama drifted into soap operatic territory, and while it may have been based on true familial dramas, it was presented in such a melodramatic way as to make it boring

The series was long to be compelling, interesting drama, and too short to actual develop and explain the history and characters in any meaningful way. I wish they would have just made it about the revolutionary era and went into greater depth.

Also, Stannis plays Jefferson, which is distracting.

On the flip side, I watched the first two episodes of Treme, and what a delight it is so far. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not watching this sooner, I absolutely should have had faith in Simon, but the subject matter of Jazz in New Orleans was uninteresting to me. Except, it turns out it's very interesting to me. Same thing happened with me and the Wire, which I didn't start watching until season 4 because I was skeptical that a procedural cop show could possibly be any good. But I knew better this time, and I still put it off. Shame on me. I'll never doubt you again, Simon. I mean it this time.

I tend to agree with you on John Adams. I wanted to like it a lot and I watched it all but it just wasn't very entertaining or compelling.

The best part of it was probably Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin

Also, I was stoned last night hate watching the 6th JA episode, thinking " what the hell biopic would I actually like to see, that would be compelling" and then it hit me. The Nation of Islam. That would be an amazing HBO series. Black Nationalism in the great depression, Wallace Fard Muhammad, the founder who disappeared (his story is bonkers), Elijah Muhammed, Malcom X, Farahakahan (sp?). Murders, organized crime, FBI actively monitoring and trying to break them up. Hucksterism, religion, race. God, I think it would be an amazing story to tell

On the flip side, I watched the first two episodes of Treme, and what a delight it is so far. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not watching this sooner, I absolutely should have had faith in Simon, but the subject matter of Jazz in New Orleans was uninteresting to me. Except, it turns out it's very interesting to me. Same thing happened with me and the Wire, which I didn't start watching until season 4 because I was skeptical that a procedural cop show could possibly be any good. But I knew better this time, and I still put it off. Shame on me. I'll never doubt you again, Simon. I mean it this time.

Treme is pretty solid all the way through. Very few highs, but if you like the subject matter at all, then there's virtually no lows. Goodman is pretty great. The characters really end up fleshed out over the course of the series. The shortened final season was unfortunate, but it was better than the nothing most channels would have given it, while it's bringing in like 600k viewers a week.

Simon's also got a new show starting. As always, it doesn't sound overtly interesting, except filled with unique colorful people that will probably make it wonderful. And it's got Oscar Isaac.

http://grantland.com/features/david-simon-show-me-a-hero-hbo-the-wire-treme/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been watching the U.S. version of Best New Restaurant. A Gordon Ramsay concept executed by Tom Colicchio? Yes please.

Although I didn't like how they had the competitors sharing a tiny ass kitchen tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

has anybody been watching big time in hollywood, fl?

it's dark humor. still undecided but it's gotten a couple chuckles out of me.