Random Entertainment Observations

Ah, I got you. More of a Penn State guy. If you know what I mean.

What do you think I am... Catholic?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

say that to LLY 's face like a real man

Oh my ****ing GOD! http://deadline.com/2015/04/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-sketch-comedy-series-netflix-1201403256/   Bob is not only in the best Drama on tv, but he's going to be in the best comedy t

You misspelled insipid.

Hmmm...wasn't this already done with a much better actor?

Synopsis

Director Simon West and Nicolas Cage re-team for the first time since CON AIR for STOLEN, a fast-paced action thriller set during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Will Montgomery (Nicolas Cage) is a master thief who after being double-crossed in a heist gone awry is sent to prison for 8 years. Upon his release he's ready to leave his criminal past behind and try to rebuild a relationship with his estranged daughter Allison. The FBI and his old cohorts believe that he hid the loot from the last heist 8 years ago, $10 million in bonds. To get his hands on it, his old partner Vincent kidnaps Allison and demands the entire $10 million as ransom. Will must trust his instincts and his old partner in crime, the beautiful, sexy and smart Riley, to do one more heist to get his daughter back alive before it's too late.

l81fR7Rica6IEQt-nlxE.png

http://waiverwireblo...allwinter-2012/

Wow. That is a good potential group of movies for just the next few months.

Yeah, The Master this weekend kicks things off (edit: plus Finding Nemo 3D!) and then there's just good stuff until the end of the year. I want to see all of those movies. (Skyfall is one I could easily miss, but it's Bond, so whatever.)

I think Looper will be under rated by the masses because it looks like a typical action movie with a time travel twist, but the director does interesting stuff, so I'm definitely going to see it.

Lawless was good too, but several of these will likely be better.

Argo is getting a really good reception at the Toronton International Film Festival that is going on right now. A lot of the movies on that list are playing here at the Festival.

I still remember when we had to take down the LRH joke account from FCP after one of their hundreds of lawyers threatened us.

Whoa! That was one of my favorite joke accounts. I can't believe the church took that down.

A review of The Master.

So what do I think about
The Master
? I think it's one of Anderson's best and least lovable films to date. That it's both something pretty close to a masterpiece and surprisingly hostile to the abundant narrative pleasures contained in previous near-masterpieces like
Boogie Nights
. That it's even colder and less immediately engaging than
There Will Be Blood
, a movie that begins with 15 minutes of near silence.

I think that it's astonishingly, heartrendingly beautiful: the blue-and-white ship's wake the film keeps returning to; the vision of Phoenix's Freddie sprinting across a barren cabbage field as the light comes up in the sky; the way Freddie watches Dodd carefully but hungrily, like a man contemplating the arrival of his own slow and not entirely unwelcome death. That Phoenix and Hoffman and Amy Adams, as Hoffman's unmerciful wife, should all be nominated for Oscars. That Hoffman should win one. That there are four or five scenes in the movie that are as good as anything you'll ever see in a theater.

I think that
The Master
is a hypnotic film about hypnotism. That it's Anderson's most sophisticated and depressed meditation on authority yet. That buried in here, among all these often-monstrous characters, is a sincere and thoughtful and even optimistic response to
There Will Be Blood
's famous "There are times when I look at people and see nothing worth liking." That I'm going back to see it again this weekend. That I'm positive I'll still be thinking about it a month from now. That if this is what it means to be a bear, then I'm a bear and so be it.*

*Hollywood Elsewhere@wellshwood

"The Master " rips its shirt open and shouts at the audience, "I am a bear! We are ALL bears! And you will not tame me! Accept me or go."

Boogie Nights will get another viewing from me, but my initial reaction to using the term "near-masterpiece" to describe it is, well, "meh...overrated".

TWBB is pretty excellent, esp if you have a solid grounding in early 20th C American literature.

I have a feeling The Master will be about the same calibre.

So Lincoln only has 4 theaters, all unfortunately owned by the same company, Marcus Theatres, who bought out Douglas theatres who used to own all the cinemas. I've been very unsatisfied with Marcus since they've taken over, as they push trite romantic comedies, head trauma comedies, and mindless action movies over any actual adult movies. I know this is a national trend, but it seems particularly bad in Lincoln. The only movies worth seeing come to the Ross Cinema, and the only way an adult movie gets shown in lincoln is if Clooney is staring in it, or it gets nominated for Best Picture, and sometimes not even then. It's really, really bad. But that doesn't really bother me that much. That's just business. Teenagers and 20 year olds on dates are the ones who fuel the movie industry, and they have to appeal to them. I don't like it, but I can accept it.

What REALLY Grinds my gears though, is how Marcus is pushing overtly conservative movies with no cinematic value, in addition to these crappy mindless movies. I was doing a search for The Master, on the off hope that it had opened in Lincoln. It of course hasn't, but at the main Marcus Theatre downtown, the grand, there were not one, but two overtly political movies playing. The first was 2016, Obama's America. It's a moderate box office success, and it wouldn't really grind my gears if Marcus would show, you know ANY OTHER DOCUMENTARY EVER. Like they NEVER show documentaries, no matter how successful. Not man on a wire, not Sicko, not exit through the gift shop. None. But this 2016 movie has been eating up a spot in the theatre for a month. Okay, fine. But then, when I was browsing on rotton tomatos, I saw this movie, Last Ounce of Courage, was playing. I had never heard of it, but I saw that it had a rating of.. zero on the freshness scale. I thought that had to be a mistake, so I clicked on it. No, it wasn't a mistake. Every single review was negative. EVERY ONE!

This I have a problem with. THere are so few screens in lincoln, so few good movies shown, so many terrible commercial movies shown. I have a real problem with that precious screen resource being squandered on a movie of dubious commercial or artistic value. If you're going to take a chance on a small movie, do it on a ****ing good one. This has really grinded my gears.

So Lincoln only has 4 theaters, all unfortunately owned by the same company, Marcus Theatres, who bought out Douglas theatres who used to own all the cinemas. I've been very unsatisfied with Marcus since they've taken over, as they push trite romantic comedies, head trauma comedies, and mindless action movies over any actual adult movies. I know this is a national trend, but it seems particularly bad in Lincoln. The only movies worth seeing come to the Ross Cinema, and the only way an adult movie gets shown in lincoln is if Clooney is staring in it, or it gets nominated for Best Picture, and sometimes not even then. It's really, really bad. But that doesn't really bother me that much. That's just business. Teenagers and 20 year olds on dates are the ones who fuel the movie industry, and they have to appeal to them. I don't like it, but I can accept it.

What REALLY Grinds my gears though, is how Marcus is pushing overtly conservative movies with no cinematic value, in addition to these crappy mindless movies. I was doing a search for The Master, on the off hope that it had opened in Lincoln. It of course hasn't, but at the main Marcus Theatre downtown, the grand, there were not one, but two overtly political movies playing. The first was 2016, Obama's America. It's a moderate box office success, and it wouldn't really grind my gears if Marcus would show, you know ANY OTHER DOCUMENTARY EVER. Like they NEVER show documentaries, no matter how successful. Not man on a wire, not Sicko, not exit through the gift shop. None. But this 2016 movie has been eating up a spot in the theatre for a month. Okay, fine. But then, when I was browsing on rotton tomatos, I saw this movie, Last Ounce of Courage, was playing. I had never heard of it, but I saw that it had a rating of.. zero on the freshness scale. I thought that had to be a mistake, so I clicked on it. No, it wasn't a mistake. Every single review was negative. EVERY ONE!

This I have a problem with. THere are so few screens in lincoln, so few good movies shown, so many terrible commercial movies shown. I have a real problem with that precious screen resource being squandered on a movie of dubious commercial or artistic value. If you're going to take a chance on a small movie, do it on a ****ing good one. This has really grinded my gears.

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't selling tickets. They aren't doing it to piss you off.

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't selling tickets. They aren't doing it to piss you off.

ORLY? Last ounce of Courage's opening weekend:

Opening Weekend: $1,585,994

(#15 rank, 1,407 theaters, $1,127 average)

A zero% fresh on rotten tomatos, and an abysmal opening weekend. Showing Last Ounce of Courage wasn't a profit oriented decision, it is a straight to video caliber production.

A zero% fresh on rotten tomatos

75% of the audience liked it.

Maybe the guy choosing the movies just knows his particular audience.

Although I'd be inclined to believe he's just pushing his political agenda.

75% of the audience liked it.

Oh, I'm sure it has a small target niche that is very happy with it. But it is a small, target niche, with limited profit potential. As seen by it's abysmal opening weekend. I wouldn't be suspicious of their motives, if the marcus multiplex often showed movies geared towards small, target niches. But they don't, they always show lowest common denominator, highest profit potential movies. Except this one.

ORLY? Last ounce of Courage's opening weekend:

Opening Weekend: $1,585,994

(#15 rank, 1,407 theaters, $1,127 average)

A zero% fresh on rotten tomatos, and an abysmal opening weekend. Showing Last Ounce of Courage wasn't a profit oriented decision, it is a straight to video caliber production.

You and I place differing value on 1.6 million dollars.

Also, just because a movie doesn't open well nationwide, doesn't mean it's not performing "well-enough" for the middle of Nebraska.