In school i have to take an economics course and we just learned about compound interest & investments, etc.I got an idea that maybe the concept of compound interest would be an interesting base for building a bankroll.So here's the idea... 1. deposit $5 into my Pstars account. 2. The game would be NLHE ring games, starting @ 1/2c3. Now what I'll do is play to increase my bankroll by just 18% per day (or per session) for one month. Here's how the numbers would work out after one month of increasing my $5.00 bankroll by 18% per day:1.5.002.5.903.6.964.8.215.9.696.11.427.13.498.18.799.22.1710.26.1611.30.8712.46.4313.42.9914.50.7315.59.9616.70.6417.89.3618.98.3619.116.0620.136.9521.161.6022.190.6823.225.0124.265.5125.313.3026.369.7027.436.2528.514.7729.607.4330.716.77Thats a rough estimate considering some sessions you would end up making more than the 18%. 4. Will play very tight and efficiently and quit once i hit the 18%5. Once i finish a session and rest up i might play another one same-day (will have to experiment with this)So whats everyone think????

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In school i have to take an economics course and we just learned about compound interest & investments, etc.I got an idea that maybe the concept of compound interest would be an interesting base for building a bankroll.So here's the idea... 1. deposit $5 into my Pstars account. 2. The game would be NLHE ring games, starting @ 1/2c3. Now what I'll do is play to increase my bankroll by just 18% per day (or per session) for one month. Here's how the numbers would work out after one month of increasing my $5.00 bankroll by 18% per day:1.5.00Thats a rough estimate considering some sessions you would end up making more than the 18%. 4. Will play very tight and efficiently and quit once i hit the 18%5. Once i finish a session and rest up i might play another one same-day (will have to experiment with this)So whats everyone think????
so when you are up $.90 after the first day you are going to need to take a nap?what school are you in?

I think somewhere within the month your going to go bust. Does that mean you start over and try again, or experiment over? Not trying to be negative, but I don't see this working.

You already made a mistake at days 12 and 13. By the way this would be hard because when you're ready to move up to another level you'll have to earn a lot of money at the previous level too. You just have to play your game and not play super tight because we all know aces can get cracked.

I think somewhere within the month your going to go bust. Does that mean you start over and try again, or experiment over? Not trying to be negative, but I don't see this working.
It means rethinking those nap times I'll tell you
so when you are up $.90 after the first day you are going to need to take a nap?what school are you in?
its all about pacing yourself and taking it 1 session at a time.U of Akron btw
You already made a mistake at days 12 and 13. By the way this would be hard because when you're ready to move up to another level you'll have to earn a lot of money at the previous level too. You just have to play your game and not play super tight because we all know aces can get cracked.
all good points but in the long run playing tight with this strategy will be profitable
That was the # my prof. used in one of his examples so i just took it.
this ironically is the same way i figure out what top % of hands is in someone's rangeessentially i throw a dart and take the score of the shot and assign that rangecoincidentally i pay people off a lot more if i'm doing well at dartsactually this strategy may be better than when i actually try to be good at poker
Alright...my biggest question: How are you going to make a $5.00 deposit?!
I used "deposit" as an arbitrary term meaning allocate $5 specifically for this, but i gotta say thats a good question lol.

Alittle food for thought to the NAYSAYERS-E-MAILED a local Pro who hosts a Poker School about the idea and he responded:This style of playing cash games has been tested and proven to be effective. It's short stack play. First let me tell you that this strategy is easy to use, and easy to master. It requires very minimal skill to play, and is a great way for beginners to start out playing. Your variance will be minimal using this strategy, as the risk/reward ratios are very little. It teaches you to value position, aswell as using bankroll management skills. I'll tell you what you need to do at the table. Basically, you are going to play extremely tight, and you make your money by having the best of it when you play. This will be a very robotic approach to the game, but like I said, it will cut your variance, and this style is ez to use.If you do not understand positions at the table, please read one of our articles on it before you continue. It is important to know what position you are in, and what position your opponents are in. You will be playing at a full table of either 9-10. If the game drops below 7 people, then you must get up and leave the table. The blinds will come around too many times for you to be able to wait for a playable hand. If you have KK and they have AA, then that's just unlucky, but you don't need to worry about it. You certainly are never gonna fold KK while short stack, you just need to play your cards and know that in the long run, you will be making money on the hands that you have your opponents crushed, which will be most of the times.Just remember to fold hands like flush/straight draws if we're not getting the right price, continue with them if we are getting good odds to hit, check/fold hands that we miss against multiple opponents, bet/raise with hands that we've hit like top pair with Jack kicker as a minimum.If we are in the big blind and it gets checked around, and we don't have a raising hand, then just check. If we are in the small blind and don't have a raising hand, then fold, DO NOT LIMP IN.You need to follow these guidelines in order to be successful at the short stack style of play, Good Luck!

FFS come on. You made basically this same thread your first day on the forum. Did you not read any of the advice you were given then?http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...=132614&hl=This is insane. Do you think if this game was as easy as "oh, I'll just increase my br by 18% a day" it would have fkin taken this long for the rest of us to figure out? Go back to grade 9 economics imo.

So you have a "local pro" who "teaches" "short stacking?!"Scum.
His application of short stacking was specific to my situation as the best approach, not his general philosophy on poker.and "scum"??? youre gonna say that about someone when you dont know a person and you're apparently ingnorant to the context in which he said what he did???
His application of short stacking was specific to my situation as the best approach, not his general philosophy on poker.and "scum"??? youre gonna say that about someone when you dont know a person and you're apparently ingnorant to the context in which he said what he did.
short stacking/ratholing is scummy. period.