Boxing Thread

Dude cmon, what do you mean it's not difficult to comprehend? Are we supposed to assume every judge is a total moron and can't fairly judge a fight because of crowd noise? And Atlas has nothing to do with anything. He is bad, and announcing can sway public opinion, but regardless of the announcing Pac won the fight. The guy was aggressive, so what, Pac connected more and hurt him more.

Boxing won nothing. It was a good fight that was marred by corrupt judging. More people were able to watch because it wasn't a ppv and more people were able to see how dumb boxing is because 3 unbiased judges can't come even close to fairly judging a championship level fight.

If every once in awhile there is an idiotic and totally confused judge, then ok. But how can all 3 judges be idiotic and totally confused?

Does the public really care though? I think the masses just want to see a good fight and that is what they got. I don't think the fact that 3 judges got it wrong is going to make any difference for them. If every boxing match was as entertaining as this one, the sport would be a lot more popular.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a beef, I must vent. this is by no means an novel observation, it's being discussed heavily all over fight forums as we speak.   Canelo is a great fighter and it made perfect sense to make th

Someone asked me "who won the fight last night", and I answered "the UFC".

My father was a pretty big boxing fan, so he was pretty sad that I grew up to be a faggot.   That being said, I was raised on Ali stories. If boxing was on TV, we watched, and my father always made

Does the public really care though? I think the masses just want to see a good fight and that is what they got. I don't think the fact that 3 judges got it wrong is going to make any difference for them. If every boxing match was as entertaining as this one, the sport would be a lot more popular.

from what I saw from reactions on the internet and from talking to people about it, the main conversation was the decision. Like all I was seeing and hearing was "did Paquiao really lose that fight?" and "boxing is so stupid."

I could be off, I don't know. To me boxing is stupid though, the day after we have to read articles about how Pacquiao is done and he should have retired awhile ago when everyone knows he won the fight. Just in general it's exhausting hearing people discuss boxing polititcs year after year when there shouldn't be any boxing politics. We are a sophisticated society this shit should not happen

But were those fight sports forums?

Because yeah. If they were, that's how fight sports forums reacted but GoCubsGo's broader point about the public really just caring about seeing an entertaining scrap is totally accurate. If anything, to the casual fan, that decision wasn't particularly perplexing since Horn was the aggressor and maybe 5 guys- tops- in an entire Buffalo Wild Wings jam packed for a fight, will actually understand 10 Point Must.

That fight was great for boxing, which is good since UFC is at some kind of saturation point that to be honest, is losing my interest for all entertainment purposes other than betting. I'd love nothing more than to see broadcast TV, large outdoor venue, early 'Don King era' boxing make a comeback.

the reactions were what I read on Twitter, Facebook, hearing people talking about it at a sports bar, co-workers, sports media reaction (this can be biased), etc. it was how I viewed the public reaction which is different from how you are viewing it which is fine, but I was not speaking of sports forums. The sports forum I participate in the most regularly had like 2 posts on it

These crybabies sobbing about how it was some unfathomably unfair decision have no case.

I've seen awful, truly baffling decisions before. Diego Sanchez vs Ross Pearson in 2014 is an example of one.

This isn't even close. Was it a contest? Sure but people suggesting it must be a fix are clueless.

I really don't care about the upcoming fight, if you can even call it that, but man, that Floyd/Conor press conference was magical.

I'm more amped for the trash talking than the actual fight.

My fear now is that knowing Floyd is in dire financial straits (the IRS- the most dire of them all), a dive is in the cards.

It's not irrational. Fight sports can be (and always have been) dirty af like that.

Takes the fall to setup the rematch which he easily wins? Leads to a third and deciding bout which he also wins? I could see it. This is a straight up cash grab for both fighters. I don't think anything is off the table.

The flip side. Does Floyd care more about 50-0 than whatever insane sum of money he could make by taking a fall?

TMT leads me to believe not

Conor is in a no win situation. If he actually caught Floyd with a straight left and finished him, nobody would buy that it was real

I'd say he is in a win-win situation. Nobody is expecting him to win, if he gets destroyed, he'll still be the most marketable MMA star in the world, and he'll be $50 Million or whatever richer. He's not going to win the fight, so that scenario isn't really relevant.

As of now, $5 gets you $1 on Mayweather, $1 gets you $3.50 on McGregor.

This represents a massive and continuing movement from the initial -22.5/+9.5 prefight line.

Prefight line isn't going to be robust enough to withstand large chunk bets without someone noticing.

This postfight line has enough action that it could probably take repeated $1mm shoves and not move much, if at all.

I can't imagine his IRS problems are going to be enough to wipe out his haul from this fight, but given the sums of money he has made and the potential penalties if he screwed the pooch on taxes, it's possible it may.

I read he owes 22.5 million. Plus 30% (assuming his accountant does better than the standard 39%} on this new $100 million. One might guess $60 million out of $100 goes to the tax man after this fight. In theory.

If he's been boning it on taxes and interest/penalties have been applied, given the dollar amounts of his previous purses and they way he spends money, it's possible he's in a horrifyingly deep hole. He says it's all sorted out, he has a $100,000,000 check he hasn't even deposited, but if you need a crystal clear example of his utter financial illiteracy, consider for a minute he has a one hundred million dollar check that he hasn't deposited. There is no entity on earth I'd trust to shelve a check for a tiny fraction of that amount of money.

I don't think that taking the boxing match with Conor McGregor is in and of itself a sign of 'desperation' given the amount of money this thing will generate for him, plus he moves past Marciano in what will likely be a skate, but I'd rather deal with the FBI than the IRS.

There is zero chance that he is just holding on to that check. Like you said, it would be stupid to trust that company to hang on to the 100,000,000. Second, a check stale dates after 6 months. Not that he couldn't get another issued, but still. Third, why would you not get the money working for you. Even at 1% money market, for fcks sake.

Bottom line, I don't buy it, even for a second.

If anyone is considering placing a bet on a non-major boxing contest where there might be some degree of value, taking the favored Arthur Szpilka over Adam Kownacki seems to be a pretty good bet at -400'ish.

I've watched enough of both (with most Kownacki fights in the past day or so) to know that he (Kownacki) is a skilled journeyman, but he's not at Szpilkas level and stands only a punchers chance, which is -1200 at best.

Kownacki won, so if you listened to me, haha. You lost!

Scarier yet he stopped him in 4.

That was far and away the best Kownacki has ever looked, expect him to move up hard and fast after this.

More good fights on free TV. Boxing may be entering a renaissance here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
11 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

So that Tyson Fury kid seems like he might have a chance to make a name for himself.

Fury is such a great name for a boxer, kind of like Moneymaker