Boxing Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a beef, I must vent. this is by no means an novel observation, it's being discussed heavily all over fight forums as we speak.   Canelo is a great fighter and it made perfect sense to make th

Someone asked me "who won the fight last night", and I answered "the UFC".

My father was a pretty big boxing fan, so he was pretty sad that I grew up to be a faggot.   That being said, I was raised on Ali stories. If boxing was on TV, we watched, and my father always made

i can see mayweather winning 7 to 5, but 10 to 2 mayweather is insanity. 8 to 4 maybe, i didn't see it, but maybe. i thought floyd didn't do anything, never hit manny hard and ran away and i don't give credit for that.

Last nights Canelo fight was great. How did Mayweather dominate this guy so hard? Guess that speaks to Floyd's defensive (running?) ability

GGG next weekend

Cotto also fighting soon

He's 24. He was only like 22 or 23 when he fought Mayweather.

Canelo will be the dominant champ very shortly and I can't wait since he causes such massive, hilarious ethnic confusion.

He is in the weight range of GGG, which is another potential superfight but only a long time from now after they've ducked each other for a decade and need the bread to pay back taxes.

i can see mayweather winning 7 to 5, but 10 to 2 mayweather is insanity. 8 to 4 maybe, i didn't see it, but maybe. i thought floyd didn't do anything, never hit manny hard and ran away and i don't give credit for that.

Under 10 point must, traditionally, clean punching and defense are hugely overvalued compared to generalship and aggressiveness even though the latter two are considered in scoring for a reason even though lately nobody cares. Mayweathers style of close-in defense and counters is almost impossible to beat decisively on points but only when judges undervalue the other criteria that go into scoring.

When they value aggression, Mayweather looks cheaper. CJ Ross gets mocked but she wasn't entirely out of line for her scoring in May/Canelo. She just decided to ding Mayweather for being tricky (and black).

I didn't realize that the full Resto/Collins fight was up on Youtube.

1983, Luis Resto took out the majority of padding in his gloves and soaked his wraps in plaster of paris, effectively turning his hands into rocks. He beat Billy Collins so badly, he ended his career. After the fight, when Resto went over to shake hands, Collins trainer realized his gloves were dramatically under-padded. Resto actually wound up doing a couple years in prison because of this fight and that was because of the rigged gloves. Only years later did he admit to the plaster wraps. Billy Collins committed suicide shortly thereafter in 1984. He was undefeated with a string of early KO's against legit opponents.

Whenever you see a ref check the hands and gloves of a fighter before entering the ring, this is why.

Also, look at that crowd at Madison Square Garden turning out for the fights in the early 80's. I wish those times were now.

If you want to see the video cued up from when the shit hit the fan and Collins corner realized the gloves were juiced, its cued up here.

The Russian internet is failing hard on this Canelo fight.

The Portuguese usually come through on Sapo.pt. Lets try there.

I wonder how GGG will do against a high level opponent.

The fact he fights Nobuhiro Ishida at 25-0 should give you some insight into the types of fights he takes, which would not be permitted if this sport were managed effectively through fear and intimidation, as is basically the only thing its participants understand. How many of his prime years are squandered fighting cans?

If I could reincarnate Stalin right now, I would put him in charge of running boxing. Maybe Don King could be persuaded back into the game.

In his defense, I think he gets dodged more than Chrysler. Or something.

Nobody wants to fight him. Not a huge name for the average fan, high risk for the fighter.

They are ducking him, but he isn't fighting any up and comers or willing, potentially dangerous established fighters, either.

That's the danger of being 'that kind' of fighter such as GGG. The guys at the higher levels duck you because they don't want to lose what they have while you don't want to risk what you have built up by taking on prime contenders who have a lot less to lose than you do. You get stuck in a holding pattern of can after can.

As noted, all this could be fixed if boxing matches were regulated by a central authority who mandated what fights would take place under penalty of banishment from the sport. We might like to rag on Dana White but if MMA were like Boxing, there would be 950 different belts across 20 organizations for every 6 ounces of weight and good fights would take place once ever 10 years.

Harsh dictatorship is the only thing that works in fight sports

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GGG would destroy Canelo. Also, I'm not so sure Canelo would get past Cotto.

Cotto looked really good under a professional trainer instead of his dad, uncle, or whatever familia he was using during the majority of his career. I think Cotto is on a completely different tier if he had a real trainer during his prime years.

Canelo may be the most well liked boxer in the world. I can't think of anyone else who even comes close. Pacquiao maybe? Canelo is one of the biggest light welterweights I've seen. He hits super hard, can actually box, and he's got speed for his size which may surprise some fighters but the top tier fighters will adjust almost immediately. I'm not sure stepping up to middleweight would be a good choice for his future.

GGG is ridiculous. He ticks off every single point on how to build the best boxer.

Boxing on tomorrow on ESPN Begins at 9:00e so overlaps with the 189 prelims (which end at 10e) but should be able to catch the Thurman fight after UFC is over.

I agree with most everything you said but I think that GGG is ducking.

the consensus, from the media, seems to be that everyone is ducking GGG. GGG has called out all the other top guys and none of them are willing to fight him.