Boxing Thread

I was hoping Mayweather would actually fall behind last night so we could see him go on the offensive. I think he's capable of it, it's just never been necessary for him. All he cares about is winning. He doesn't care about the entertainment value of his fights, which is a problem considering his place in the boxing hierarchy and the current state of boxing in public culture.

Its kinda mind boggling that he's become such a big ticket.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a beef, I must vent. this is by no means an novel observation, it's being discussed heavily all over fight forums as we speak.   Canelo is a great fighter and it made perfect sense to make th

Someone asked me "who won the fight last night", and I answered "the UFC".

My father was a pretty big boxing fan, so he was pretty sad that I grew up to be a faggot.   That being said, I was raised on Ali stories. If boxing was on TV, we watched, and my father always made

High level defensive boxing such as came to be in the 70's and 80's gave birth to the snoozers we have today.

James Toneys and Larry Holmeses and Roberto Durans gave birth to the modern Mayweathers and Roy Joneses and to a lesser degree, Calzaghes.

"Defense as Offense" is terrible to watch when its just two guys with the same plan looking for a counter. Watch fight footage from the old days, those guys went in there looking to take the other guys head off, that was about it. THAT was a good watch. This horseshit today is garbage.

The other problem was MASSIVE promotion dilution with belts every 3 ounces across 40 promotions that call themselves "World Championship". Boxing needs another Don King in there threatening peoples families to keep the show running smoothly.

Yes he was.

He did draw from the defensive school but got in there and offense'd it the **** up, unlike Mayweather who is crazy talented at what he does- his record speaks for itself- but its Ben Askren'ish.

Speaking of Askren, did you see him get ragdolled but wound up winning due to a bullshit ref stoppage?

Also, Roy wouldn't just be brash and arrogant out of the ring, he'd be brash and arrogant in the ring ,and utterly humiliate his opponents, which made the entertainment of him dismantling tomato cans infinitely better than Floyd.

I think Roy, at his peak, was pretty much a complete boxer, he was just in a bad weight division. I wish he and tyson would have fought. I think that would have been more compelling, than Tyson fighting people like Lennox, who were far too big for him.

Boxing's problems are well documented, and if anything I think this fight has hastened it's demise. I think it can rise again, 'cause people punching each other in the face, will always be compelling. But this decentralized promotion-based model has to be scrapped and a central body rising in it's place. Till that happens, it will be a fringe sport, with mega fights coming 10 years too late.

Roy Jones was the most entertaining boxer I ever watched in real time, but he, unlike Floyd, had money problems and got slow. It seems Floyd will never have money problems and doesn't rely on being as fast and young as Roy, and so will probably never fall from grace in the same way. Too bad, he deserves to, but he's earned the right to go out the way he has. Which annoys me to no end.

Every fight is the same. Nobody can land punches on him. People complain about how boring it is after every fight, but they always tune in to the next one. He's a douchebag, but he might be the most dominant athlete of his generation.

Yeah I don't know much about boxing, but I knew enough that it was probably going to go like it did last night so I wasn't freaking out about it being boring like most people.

I watched it at a party and everyone was pretty outraged. I tried not to be the "I told you so" guy

and the lawsuits are coming fast now.

2 guys trying to open up a class action for anyone who bet on or bought the ppv of the fight due to alleged fraud from pacman re: shoulder. lampley saying he "feels sorry for" anyone that shelled out money for it. giggidy.

I think the fallout is going to be far more entertaining that the fight.

I haven't seen butthurt about a fight this bad since Antonio Silva knocked out Fedor.

It was a lousy fight relative to its impossibly over-hyped expectations, but have none of these people ever seen a Floyd Mayweather fight before? Oh, that's right. No. They haven't.

• Like 1

I know, right? I've come 180 about the fight ( in part, because I didn't watch it and feel totally vindicated in not doing it ) and I'm really, really happy a bunch of rubes got suckered.

• Like 1

couple bad ass contrarians we got here.

I am not a nosebleed stakes bettor.

I won more money on this fight than you will make in the next year.

#ActionableInsight #TalkIsCheap

• Like 1