November Nine Final Table

How atrocious would it be if Steve Beglieter won the WSOP Main Event?? He was a 24 year employee of Bear Stearns. If there is any justice in the world, he'll go broke to Phil Ivey on 2 consecutive hands and bust out 9th.

How atrocious would it be if Steve Beglieter won the WSOP Main Event?? He was a 24 year employee of Bear Stearns. If there is any justice in the world, he'll go broke to Phil Ivey on 2 consecutive hands and bust out 9th.
He was obviously running the place, I agree completely

Begleiter has played very loose the whole tournament. Some of his calldowns have been complete gambles and he'll need that luck to keep his tournament going. Personally I don't see that holding out. Buchman is a strong professional who seems to have a complete understanding of the game. Moon obviously has to be a chip favorite, but as for his short handed/HU experience, it can't be much. I have no doubt he finishes top 4, but will he get further? Shulman and Ivey obviously have to be favorites to be there. Ivey needs to get chips. Cada is a dark horse to me. He's a young gun who could give the guys a run for their money. Saout and Akenhead don't really have a chance to me, but Akenhead has been fairly short stacked and up and down the whole tournament, so we'll see how the final table goes.

LOL since Beglieter obviously caused the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Hell...since Bear Stearns caused it.Please can you keep your uninformed, idiotic statements away from the new thread topic.
LOL since Beglieter obviously caused the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Hell...since Bear Stearns caused it.Please can you keep your uninformed, idiotic statements away from the new thread topic.
actually i've been in the derivatives business my whole life and thought the same thingand if you made a list of the top 5 firms to blame for that market crash then Bear would certainly be on that listi would think that if he was really as high up in bear as they claimed that it would be near impossible for him to have clean handsthose guys gambled out of control with other people's money - it's like they went all in with Aces for billions of dollars but none of it was their own money and they stand to make 20% of the profit if they winif they win which let's say is 80% they get a huge bonus - if their aces get cracked though and they did - they just lose their jobs and millions of people lose billions of dollari consider it unethical - those guys considered it their job
actually i've been in the derivatives business my whole life and thought the same thingand if you made a list of the top 5 firms to blame for that market crash then Bear would certainly be on that listi would think that if he was really as high up in bear as they claimed that it would be near impossible for him to have clean handsthose guys gambled out of control with other people's money - it's like they went all in with Aces for billions of dollars but none of it was their own money and they stand to make 20% of the profit if they winif they win which let's say is 80% they get a huge bonus - if their aces get cracked though and they did - they just lose their jobs and millions of people lose billions of dollari consider it unethical - those guys considered it their job
for what it's worth i'm backed and I go in with aces too, and if I win I get 50% of it which is >20%, and my backer is prob giving me a bonus for doing so, even when i lose.maybe those people who had that much to lose should have tried a lesser investment that they were rolled for, or if they couldn't stand to lose it, maybe just not invested at all.but yeah go ahead and blame them for other people's poor BR management. just like always gets said when someone goes busto around here, played outside of your roll - well that's what some of these investors did.
for what it's worth i'm backed and I go in with aces too, and if I win I get 50% of it which is >20%, and my backer is prob giving me a bonus for doing so, even when i lose.maybe those people who had that much to lose should have tried a lesser investment that they were rolled for, or if they couldn't stand to lose it, maybe just not invested at all.but yeah go ahead and blame them for other people's poor BR management. just like always gets said when someone goes busto around here, played outside of your roll - well that's what some of these investors did.
i made a bad analogy = actually it's like if you win you double up but if you lose - you lose 100X your bankroll and then it bankrupts your backer and your backers backer and etc etc
i made a bad analogy = actually it's like if you win you double up but if you lose - you lose 100X your bankroll and then it bankrupts your backer and your backers backer and etc etc
lol? you went from none of their own money to 100x their money?
lol? you went from none of their own money to 100x their money?
well i'm sure the bear stearns leaders lost some of their own money by losing out in incentives and the stock they owned but they still get to keep the tons of money they've been making when they were winning and then once they have the mother or all blow ups they only really lose their jobs but of course they can easily afford the main event
well i'm sure the bear stearns leaders lost some of their own money by losing out in incentives and the stock they owned but they still get to keep the tons of money they've been making when they were winning and then once they have the mother or all blow ups they only really lose their jobs but of course they can easily afford the main event
He won out of their poker group IIRC. So odds are he paid 1,000 or less for the seat. So that kinda kiboshes that angle too?Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the guy or the company. I'm not even gonna get into that....but when push comes to shove, the whole country needed a reality check. I mean all these failures were directly tied to poor bankroll management (if you want to make a poker analogy). Not just these firms, the whole farking country. Mortgages, cars, everything on 100% credit. Even this analogy is loose, because there's no poker anaology for an entire society propping up their greatness on a facade of "credit", basically betting that "these good times will never end". When has that EVER been a correct thought?The major investment firms are taking the fall for this, but it can't happen without the overwhelming inefficiencies of the average joe, and moreover the mortgage and banking institutions. This is probably my favorite simplistic explanation of the systemic failures of our country leading to this recession:http://www.scribd.com/doc/2190705/CDO-Powe...SubPrime-Primer
From what I have seen on ESPN's coverage, Beglieter also is a horrific poker player. I think the key to his deep run was shoving with AQ with 60 bbs left and spiking an ace against KK. I have faith that he will get sliced to ribbons by what is actually a very strong final table.
If it makes you feel any better during his WSOP on ESPN interview he said he feels bad and somewhat responsible as he was there for it all. :club: I still don't want him to win but Cada or Ivey would be good for me.

Just saw a bunch of the most recent ME episodes, how many people actually listen to that douche Norman Chad as he made it sound like Begleiter was the big evil guy that must have been running Bear Stearns? Seriously it tilts the shit outta me that everytime he talked about Begleiter it was some stupid Wall Street vs common man joke. Please get some real commentators ESPN.

Very mature & necessary comment.
From what I have seen on ESPN's coverage, Beglieter also is a horrific poker player. I think the key to his deep run was shoving with AQ with 60 bbs left and spiking an ace against KK. I have faith that he will get sliced to ribbons by what is actually a very strong final table.
QFTI have nothing against him personally, but his poker play was fairly awful and I suspect that is what will catch up with him -- not karma.

If you look around Google, Begleiter's name appears in quite a few 2007 Bear Stearns press releases. That coupled with what he said in his ESPN interview puts him pretty high on the totem poll at the time of collapse. The bottom line is that many people were doing many unethical things that led to the collapse of both that company and the economy in general.While it's admittedly unfair, this has also made me have negative feelings about him with regards to poker. His somewhat questionable plays hasn't really helped, but even before seeing those, I was rooting against him.

Just saw a bunch of the most recent ME episodes, how many people actually listen to that douche Norman Chad as he made it sound like Begleiter was the big evil guy that must have been running Bear Stearns? Seriously it tilts the shit outta me that everytime he talked about Begleiter it was some stupid Wall Street vs common man joke. Please get some real commentators ESPN.
norman chad is the man

Did anybody noticed Begs' idiotic statement last weak after he double J9dd>AdAx?Flop was Jx9x3d. Turn was the 5d.If you watch and listen closely you can hear Begleiter go to his rail section and say 'He has the Ace of Diamonds so he still has two outs'I honestly think he is worse than Jamie Gold.

norman chad is the man
QFT
Did anybody noticed Begs' idiotic statement last weak after he double J9dd>AdAx?Flop was Jx9x3d. Turn was the 5d.If you watch and listen closely you can hear Begleiter go to his rail section and say 'He has the Ace of Diamonds so he still has two outs'I honestly think he is worse than Jamie Gold.
I watched the episode again last night and heard this (I didn't catch it the 1st time I watched it) and actually did laugh out loud. He may be worse than the Goldster.