gus hansen's t8d call vs antonio esfandiari's all in

This WPT was pretty old, the Bad Boys of poker WPT. .. Antonio raised, Gus reraised, antonio went all in the Gus called Antonio's all in w/ T8d. Can anyone explain this to me?!?! Daniel?!?! I can see Gus making a play in the form of a rais, but how can you call t8d?!?!?i know this is a bit old, but i just watched it and wanted to know people's thoughts on it.

You also missed two important points - they were the chip leaders, and Gus had only put $100,000 out of his total of $400,000 into the pot.Basically i think it was a mix of 2 things, Gus Hanson being macho - and wanting to higher his chances of taking down the tournament. For one i dont think Gus liked Antonio attempting to bully him out of the pot, but i also think that he read Antonio for a hand not as strong as a high pocket pair - and seeing as he had already put 1/4 of his stack in he decided to take a 50/50 or a 60/40 to have $1,000,000 in chips instead of $300,000, eliminate a dangerous player - and put himself in easy position to win the tournament.

old news.. he thought antonio had a pocket pair lwoer that snowmen so he made the correct pot-odds call based on that fact... i think daniel mentioned this a while back in an old blog

As long as Antonio doesn't have an overpair then gus is in OK shape.Given that Antonio has one of the widest preflop hand ranges I've ever seen it seems like a fine call to me... He's not going to get too badly hurt if he loses.One other thing to mention is that losing chips to Antonio isn't like losing chips to, say, Dewey Tomko. With Dewey you'd have a hard time getting them back... With Antonio they're going into the pot a lot. Made a similar call at the weekend... only difference is that I got less than $200 for mine:-)

I'm sure it was shown on the video, Antonio did something when Gus said 'I should call with my 10 high' and then Gus immediately jumped in.He must have something on him because in their previous pot he was throwing questions at him but he rarely did it with the other players.

I have seen Gus raise and re-raise pots on Pokerstars 100/200 limit with a J/3 on a board of A  K  J  He's a maniac.
NO...if he did that...He is a moron.....not a maniac.

If he made the call on his read of Antonio having a small pair...then it was a great call.....But c'mon......THAT IS THE ONLY WAY HE CAN MAKE THAT CALL!What If Antonio was on a pure bluff of lets say T9s? J9? QT? The call was stupid...he got his hand caught in the cookie jar and then just said "F" it.....

Out of curiousity (I never saw the episode), did the 8 / 10 d hold up?  What did Antonio have?
Antonio had 7's that were busted right from the flop when an 8 hit. No help the rest of the way.
I think the pot-odds thing is totally irrelevant. If Gus has money on the line he never makes that call. No way.
This is exactly correct. you are all overlooking that they were palying for free and the winner got a seat in the WPT championship (Gus already had one), so he can't loose money and he increases his image as a crazy nutbag that will call you with 8 :club: 10 :D so dont push him around. get it? cool hand though
I have seen Gus raise and re-raise pots on Pokerstars 100/200 limit with a J/3 on a board of A  K  J  He's a maniac.
I've seen better than that. Ive seen him re-raise pre flop bet and re-raise post flop with Q :club: 3 :D he bet and raised the turn too and bet the river. He finished with the same Q high he started with. he proabbly lost about 1.5k
I believe it was a freeroll.  Even Gus will be more aggressive in a freeroll.  Sometimes, you just have to gamble.  Tough call though.
agreed. it was a free roll, any there's only first prize, which wasnt alot to begin with. gus just wanted to gamble. win the pot, he'll probably win the tournament. No point grinding it out only to be 2nd and win nothing.he probably put antonio on AQ/AK, and even then, he was likely to be 40 tto 60. considering the money in the pot, it was worth the gamble, although it would cost him his tournament life. But with onl 1 winner, its make it or break it.

If you go back and find the cardplayer with Gus on the cover ( maybe 3 or so months ago ) he goes into detail about this hand. He says that it WAS a FREEROLL....and he truly believed Antonio had 44,55,66 , so calling with 10-8 or 10-7 is the same thing as calling with AK or KJ , there two overcards and two live cards.