Advantage Or Disadvantage

I am sure you guys ran into this before playing online. Is it a disadvantage playing in a tournament with 9000 participant which start with 15mns blinds and 1500 chips the longer you are on a table with 7 people out of 9 sitting out compare to other tables who have more then 2 players playing and not sitting out?

Huh?Hmm, let's see, maybe I didn't get it, but, your question is, in a 9 handed table, is it better toA) Have 7 people sitting out.B) Have less than 7 people sitting out.It's obvious you want 7 people sitting out. You only have 1 person to worry about. Knock him out, and proceed to steal everyone's blinds every hand.If you're thinking that other people are going to amass more chips because of bigger pots pre-flop and further action, that's beyond the point. IT'S ALWAYS AN ADVANTAGE (CHIP-WISE) TO HAVE PEOPLE SITTING OUT....

Huh?Hmm, let's see, maybe I didn't get it, but, your question is, in a 9 handed table, is it better toA) Have 7 people sitting out.B) Have less than 7 people sitting out.It's obvious you want 7 people sitting out. You only have 1 person to worry about. Knock him out, and proceed to steal everyone's blinds every hand.If you're thinking that other people are going to amass more chips because of bigger pots pre-flop and further action, that's beyond the point. IT'S ALWAYS AN ADVANTAGE (CHIP-WISE) TO HAVE PEOPLE SITTING OUT....
How can your answer be valid without a mathematical equation?

My wife had this happen to her in that Stars freeroll for the petition. SHe had 7 folks sit out, and then eventually the other guy sat out too. She sat there every hand clicking raise. Her table wasn't one to break, so she left with something like a 3x average stack. Still didn't matter because it was a freeroll with crappy players and structure, but it was funny.

How can your answer be valid without a mathematical equation?
Good point, I actually have no idea how to prove it, though. But it does seem rather obvious, right? That you want less people who offer resistance and are giving away free chips.
Good point, I actually have no idea how to prove it, though. But it does seem rather obvious, right? That you want less people who offer resistance and are giving away free chips.
It's easier to get chips from people who are making bad plays than from empty stacks that are just blinding off.
It's easier to get chips from people who are making bad plays than from empty stacks that are just blinding off.
So, for example, you're saying it's better to be a 90% favorite to win a 3000 chip pot, than being a 100% favorite to win a 50 chip pot over and over and over again?edit = sure, it's "easier" to get chips faster, but it's also a lot "easier" to bust (even against people who are making bad plays)
So, for example, you're saying it's better to be a 90% favorite to win a 3000 chip pot, than being a 100% favorite to win a 50 chip pot over and over and over again?edit = sure, it's "easier" to get chips faster, but it's also a lot "easier" to bust (even against people who are making bad plays)
Given that as the tournament moves on people are likely to show up, "faster" is a significant factor in practice. If you could ensure that you were playing against an empty table until the final table then yeah, maybe it better to have sitters. But in reality this is likely to persist only for the first level or so where you are very slowly bleeding away a tiny blind each round. In that case, its better to have people willing to put more money than a single big blind into the pot each hand.