Official Washington Capitals Thread

I'm curious to see what the Caps are gonna do regarding the cap situation. Offhand, I know they have Backstrom, Fleischman and Fehr to sign.
WalkerBelangerBrendan MorrisonShaone MorrisonCorvoGordon JurcinaSchultz3ormoreThese are the minor problems..Obviously the major problem is Backstrom AND Semin is going into his final year of his contract and is probably looking for an extension..
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WalkerBelangerBrendan MorrisonShaone MorrisonCorvoGordon JurcinaSchultz3ormoreThese are the minor problems..Obviously the major problem is Backstrom AND Semin is going into his final year of his contract and is probably looking for an extension..
Semin is likely trait bait.
Word on the street is that Backstrom is signing for 10 seasons, $69M.Should be announced at 10:30 am today.
I read that too..solid...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArvY...itals-backstrom10 years 67 million. I like the guy. Caps still have some work to do though.Ovechkin - Backstrom - KnubleSemin - Belanger (UFA) - LaichBradley - B.Morrison (UFA) - ChimeraFehr (RFA) - Steckel - Flieshman (RFA)Perreault looks to be ready to move into the lineup.Green - Shultz (RFA)Poti - S.Morrison (UFA)Corvo (UFA) - Sloan Alzner looks to be ready to move into the lineuphttp://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=WA...10&expand=y (Looks like they are still paying Nylander a bunch...doesn't count against the cap but still...haha)

I think Semin has to get traded now..Yes he disappeared in the Playoffs, but the guys is a 40 goal scorer..He will look for $6 million plus on a long term deal.Maybe they hang onto him till the contrace expires, but trading him now would be best value..Just make sure the guy you are trading him to didnt watch the playoffs.

I think Semin has to get traded now..Yes he disappeared in the Playoffs, but the guys is a 40 goal scorer..He will look for $6 million plus on a long term deal.Maybe they hang onto him till the contrace expires, but trading him now would be best value..Just make sure the guy you are trading him to didnt watch the playoffs.
Not only didn't he score against the Habs in 7, he also was scoreless against the Pens in 7 last year. That's really the main question with the capitals. Do their players have what it takes to play in the big games or are they at their best when padding their stats against the lightning, thrashers, hurricanes, and panthers?
Not only didn't he score against the Habs in 7, he also was scoreless against the Pens in 7 last year. That's really the main question with the capitals. Do their players have what it takes to play in the big games or are they at their best when padding their stats against the lightning, thrashers, hurricanes, and panthers?
I think i made my point about this..Backstrom and Ovechkin had a great series, just ran into a hot goalie..Just my opinion.
I think i made my point about this..Backstrom and Ovechkin had a great series, just ran into a hot goalie..Just my opinion.
Backstrom is clutch, and Ovy will just produce no matter what.He was referencing Semin, though.
Backstrom is clutch, and Ovy will just produce no matter what.He was referencing Semin, though.
ya Semin was pretty brutal..I am not sure if they will sign him long term...

I didn't know much about Backstrom before this series, but the guy was a definite presence every time he stepped on the ice. I wish the Habs or Leafs could get him.

ya Semin was pretty brutal..I am not sure if they will sign him long term...
Washington is like the Phoenix Suns of the NBA...too much offence for the playoffs...they need to deal Semin for some defensive depth ASAP.
Washington is like the Phoenix Suns of the NBA...too much offence for the playoffs...they need to deal Semin for some defensive depth ASAP.
Semin for Kaberle and Finger...Done deal..ok?

lol..nice...BTW we talk about Semin disappearing in the playoffs, however I dont think there is a GM in the league that wouldnt be estatic to deal for this guy as long as it doesnt cost the farm...40 goal scorers with Semin talent , dont grow on trees.

Backstrom just signed a 10 year extension. I doubt he's going anywhere now...not that he might have been before, but you just don't sign guys to 10 year deals and turn around and trade them

They need to go after an elite goalie. With studs like Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, and Green if they could just find a solution to Theodore they are set for glory for years to come.

They need to go after an elite goalie. With studs like Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, and Green if they could just find a solution to Theodore they are set for glory for years to come.
nice first post..Welcome to the hockey forum.

Yeah, I don't really know if goaltending is their problem. Theodore can play well at times, and they have Varlamov and Neuvirth both coming up who project to be solid enough.

Yeah, I don't really know if goaltending is their problem. Theodore can play well at times, and they have Varlamov and Neuvirth both coming up who project to be solid enough.
The way their payroll is structured, it only makes sense for them to not go after big dollar FA gtd, and instead hope their young (and cheap) gtd come thru for them.
Good try boys. 2nd place in this historic tournament is something to be very proud of.
Without looking it up, who won it last year?