Phil Ivey Giving Great Odds

Looking to get your thoughts on Phil Ivey getting 5.5 to 1 odds to win the main event. I am hoping he wins obv but is his chip stack to low? I am laying 300 to win 1650 and it will make watching the FT that much more exciting. With his low chip stack yet obvious skill EDGE, what are your thoughts on me winning this bet?????????

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figure if it was all square he'd be 9:1. Factor the fact that he's got less than half of the average stack, that would extrapolate the odds against him typically....but he's phil f'ing ivey and the class of the poker world, so that extrapolates the odds for him.I'd never bet against him, but at 5.5:1, I would definitely be wagering a "fun" amount of money if anything. At 120k/240k 30k antes. He's got like 40BB's or an M of "I don't know what I'm talking about" (lol). So definitely a fair situation for the "pro's pro".

Figure if it was all square he'd be 9:1. Factor the fact that he's got less than half of the average stack, that would extrapolate the odds against him typically....but he's phil f'ing ivey and the class of the poker world, so that extrapolates the odds for him.I'd never bet against him, but at 5.5:1, I would definitely be wagering a "fun" amount of money if anything. At 120k/240k 30k antes. He's got like 40BB's or an M of 25. So definitely a fair situation for the "pro's pro".
M= sb+bb+(ante*#players at table) It's the cost of going around the table once.So 9,765,000/(120,000+240,000+(30,000*9))9,765,000/630,000 = ~15.5
Looking to get your thoughts on Phil Ivey getting 5.5 to 1 odds to win the main event. I am hoping he wins obv but is his chip stack to low? I am laying 300 to win 1650 and it will make watching the FT that much more exciting. With his low chip stack yet obvious skill EDGE, what are your thoughts on me winning this bet?????????
You want to put money on Ivey?Jennifer Tilly gives her opinion:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-uoz5knD4
M= sb+bb+(ante*#players at table) It's the cost of going around the table once.So 9,765,000/(120,000+240,000+(30,000*9))9,765,000/630,000 = ~15.5
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMI stand corrected.

With 5% of the chips, if he was an "average player" at the table he would be 19:1 to win. For 5.5:1 to win, this would be a break even bet if you think he was about "3 times as good" as the rest of the field....whatever that means.I'm not entirely sure how you'd figure out how much more skilled than the average player at that table is Phil Ivey is. I'd guess this bet can't be too good though, 3x seems a lot.

GUys think about it like a 9 man SNG and Ivey has half the average stack. 1 hand and he is above average. Factor in that all other 8 players are going to be trying to move up the money and IVEY can exploit them all. It is a great bet at 5.5 to 1. Better then even for sure with his skill level. ps. is that video REAL where he mucks the winning hand? CRazy if so..

It is a 9 man SNG where he has half the average and the top three guys have 2/3 of all chips. For Ivey to catch the Chip Leader he needs to double up 3X. That is just to catch him. Even if (when) he out plays them he ALSO needs everyone above him to get remarkably unlucky AND play poorly against each other! Not saying it won't happen, but to characterize it as a "great bet" @ 5.5:1 is an overstatement.

This would be a great Question For DANIEL??????DAniel if you are reading is this a good bet or not?Please advise as you would know better then us what the odds of Ivey winning are.Thanks

What %age of the chips does he have?
Seat 1: Darvin Moon – 58,930,000Seat 2: James Akenhead – 6,800,000Seat 3: Phil Ivey – 9,765,000Seat 4: Kevin Schaffel – 12,390,000Seat 5: Steven Begleiter – 29,885,000Seat 6: Eric Buchman – 34,800,000Seat 7: Joe Cada – 13,215,000Seat 8: Antoine Saout – 9,500,000Seat 9: Jeff Shulman – 19,580,000
This would be a great Question For DANIEL??????DAniel if you are reading is this a good bet or not?Please advise as you would know better then us what the odds of Ivey winning are.Thanks
daniel's response(whatever it might be) would be pretty biased in favor ivey i think

Considering how widely regarded he is by most players (and the fact that Norman Chad will suck up to him every chance he can get on TV) makes him an obvious favorite at the final table if he can play out and get cards. As much as I want to put money on Ivey, Moon's play and card catching have been irresistible.

also remember that ivey gets a 10mil bonus for winning as a ftpro.so now he is playing for 18mill. the knack on ivey forever has been that when he is motivated, he gets it done. I'd say this is plenty of motivation.remember when the corporation was down around 20mil to andy beal? they brought in Ivey to play by himself and did not trade him out for other corp members. and ivey erased that debt in a day or two. the guy is clutch and i expect him to play his A+++ game. 5.5-1 to 1 is redic good odds for ivey. the books dont know enuff about poker or have enuff experience with nov9 odds to know that offering 5.5-1 on the greatest player ever is bad business. they'll know by next year. for example, in '08 we had hellmuth to make the final table at 100-1, he came close but finished 45th. only ivey was listed at lower odds at 75-1. matesow came close too and they realized it wasnt actually that impossible to final table this tourny cuz of the great structure. in '09 the books had adjustted the FT lines and hellmuth was only 30-1 and only the longest of longshots was 100-1next year they will likely adjust again, this time the actual nov9 lines when they get killed if ivey/shulman win this thing

Betting on Ivey at 5.5 to 1 is not a very good bet. I don't care how good he is. I'll be rooting for him but I wouldn't bet on him with those odds
Betting on Ivey at 5.5 to 1 is not a very good bet. I don't care how good he is. I'll be rooting for him but I wouldn't bet on him with those odds
agreed, oddmakers def knew everyone was going to pound ivey so this line is def skewed low.
Considering how widely regarded he is by most players (and the fact that Norman Chad will suck up to him every chance he can get on TV) makes him an obvious favorite at the final table if he can play out and get cards. As much as I want to put money on Ivey, Moon's play and card catching have been irresistible.
.....?What play? He has been getting dealt the deck. I don't mean to dis him, he hasn't played bad either. Just saying I don't remember him playing a hand where he actually needed to 'play'.
.....?What play? He has been getting dealt the deck. I don't mean to dis him, he hasn't played bad either. Just saying I don't remember him playing a hand where he actually needed to 'play'.
+1He's "play" was that he didn't lose complete value with all the cards and situations he got himself dealt into...
How many of the hands that he played in the 2009 WSOP have you seen on TV?He probably played a couple (hundred) of hands that you have not seen.