I Got Lucky Tonight

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a cool story for you:Last Friday night a girl I know was cycling home. She was hit by a drunk driver and died. Drink driving isn't funny. Boasting about getting away with it is pathetic. Be a responsible human being. You are endangering your own life, but more importantly the lives of others - like my friend, who didn't even reach her 21st birthday thanks to someone like you who had "trouble staying in your lane".

Here's a cool story for you:Last Friday night a girl I know was cycling home. She was hit by a drunk driver and died. Drink driving isn't funny. Boasting about getting away with it is pathetic. Be a responsible human being. You are endangering your own life, but more importantly the lives of others - like my friend, who didn't even reach her 21st birthday thanks to someone like you who had "trouble staying in your lane".
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I work for a Security company and have my uniform on.
I thought this was going to be a story about getting laid until I read this.The Gordon Bombay avatar is funny. You need a peewee hockey team to coach and get your life back on the right track.
aaaaaaaaaaand...... /thread.
It's not the end, Ron Mexico hasn't posted in here yet!btw, does he post anywhere but rarely in the sick thread anymore?
go to the entertainment forum, look for the threads dedicated to shows aimed at teenage girls, and he'll be there.
go to the entertainment forum, look for the threads dedicated to shows aimed at teenage girls, and he'll be there.
Ah, that's where I went wrong. I keep going to the threads with pictures of teenage girls and keep finding you instead.
Very sorry to hear!Couldn't agree more. Doesn't matter if it's 50 miles or 5 miles, it's just plain stupid and irresponsible. Being lucky not to get a DUI isn't anything to brag about at all.Also, starting Monday up here you can't drive with a cellphone in your hand.

While I totally agree that getting shitcanned and driving is very irresponsible and I am sorry to hear about your friend grey, those stories make me want to kick puppies. Although then I would harm a little puppy and no one really wins with that ... but I digress.I am wondering how much you think is too much. I don't believe that the current .08 is a correct measure but I believe that is does more good than harm so I won't bother with that, but there are times when I go to the bars after work and have a few beers over the course of a few hours. I am by no means drunk but I feel a little buzz going. I drive home and all the while I stay in my lane and I am aware of the speed limit and obey all traffic laws. I get home and no one is hurt. Now is this wrong to do. My mind says it's ok because I know my limits. When I get too drunk I call a cab. So anyway. thoughts on how much is too much.

While I totally agree that getting shitcanned and driving is very irresponsible and I am sorry to hear about your friend grey, those stories make me want to kick puppies. Although then I would harm a little puppy and no one really wins with that ... but I digress.I am wondering how much you think is too much. I don't believe that the current .08 is a correct measure but I believe that is does more good than harm so I won't bother with that, but there are times when I go to the bars after work and have a few beers over the course of a few hours. I am by no means drunk but I feel a little buzz going. I drive home and all the while I stay in my lane and I am aware of the speed limit and obey all traffic laws. I get home and no one is hurt. Now is this wrong to do. My mind says it's ok because I know my limits. When I get too drunk I call a cab. So anyway. thoughts on how much is too much.
If you're at all buzzed, it is too much. Don't be a cheapass.

Flip sideA friend of mine decided she was OK to drive home from he bar (I wasn't there to stop her.) She was just slightly buzzed, turned right in front of a motorcycle, never saw him. She spent 2 years of a 5 year sentence in jail but is sentenced for the rest of her life with the guilt.

Flip sideA friend of mine decided she was OK to drive home from he bar (I wasn't there to stop her.) She was just slightly buzzed, turned right in front of a motorcycle, never saw him. She spent 2 years of a 5 year sentence in jail but is sentenced for the rest of her life with the guilt.
Flip Side This could have happened even if she was sober. There are things called blindspots when you are driving a car and a motorcycle is tough to see. My uncle was driving his motorcycle and a car did this to him. Guess what the driver wasn't intoxicated. Luckily for my uncle he was okay and escaped with minor bruises, a gash on his leg, and a busted helmet. Point being accidents like that happen. Would she have done the same thing had she been stone cold sober ... well those are the demons that she will have to deal with.
Flip Side This could have happened even if she was sober. There are things called blindspots when you are driving a car and a motorcycle is tough to see. My uncle was driving his motorcycle and a car did this to him. Guess what the driver wasn't intoxicated. Luckily for my uncle he was okay and escaped with minor bruises, a gash on his leg, and a busted helmet. Point being accidents like that happen. Would she have done the same thing had she been stone cold sober ... well those are the demons that she will have to deal with.
Flip SideWhile I totally agree that what happened in Sams example can happen to any sober person, the risk involved in even driving buzzed is that a normal accident that was not caused by your drinking will get you in a ton more trouble than if it was a simple accident. Thus, it's best not to risk it.
I am wondering how much you think is too much. I don't believe that the current .08 is a correct measure but I believe that is does more good than harm so I won't bother with that, but there are times when I go to the bars after work and have a few beers over the course of a few hours. I am by no means drunk but I feel a little buzz going. I drive home and all the while I stay in my lane and I am aware of the speed limit and obey all traffic laws. I get home and no one is hurt. Now is this wrong to do. My mind says it's ok because I know my limits. When I get too drunk I call a cab. So anyway. thoughts on how much is too much.
A few beers over the course of a few hours does not put you over the legal limit, so this argument is:Edit: But ok, I see what you're saying. The point is that the law is there because we can't trust people to judge for themselves how much is too much, so the point is still:

From some personal experiences this is my take on the whole thing.I have driven buzzed...in the US...once or twice. Maybe over the limit, I have no idea. But what I was very conscious of was my driving. I tried really hard to drive straight and not too slow or too fast. I remember it being very stressful and it felt as if I was swerving so I ended up taking as many subdivision streets home hoping that the 25mph speed limit, less traffic, and less popo would get me home safer and free from cuffs. And it worked. I didn't enjoy it, hence I no longer do it. But then I was in another situation. This situation had me on a remote island in Denmark called Serejo. I was there on an archeological dig. There are no police on Serejo. None. All calls are reported and the police come by ferry from the mainland. Sometimes it took days for the police to come out when called. We had something stolen from the house we were living in and it took 3 days before the police showed up. While on a dig the biggest part of it from the actual digging is the drinking. Everyday one of the local families (about 200 people lived on the island, mostly farms) would stop at our site at 10:30 am and take a beer break with us. We did this again at 3pm. We finished digging at 5 and went home, drank and cleaned supplies. Then headed to the only place to eat on the island and ate and drank there all night long and then got up at 8am and did it all over again. I remember one Saturday, the weather was perfect, as it was usually cold and cloudy that time of year. The day started by going to a birthday celebration across the street of the man whose house we were renting. It was at 8am and the Danes know how to celebrate. I was completely drunk by 9:30am. Nothing like breakfast with potato bitters, gin, vodka, and assorted alcohol I no longer can remember. Well the director had to leave for the mainland for a meeting at the museum and left me (haha) in charge of the car. Some people wanted to go to the lighthouse and others to the beach, both were about 2-3 mile walks so I drove them all around the island. Drunk. Actually drunk and often with a Tuborg in my hand. I found it interesting that when there is no pressure of cops or traffic, drunk driving is kind of easy. I think, at least in my experience, that part of the problem buzzed people have while driving is thinking way to hard about it and stressing out. I do remember one bad incident. We went to the bar and got totally drunk and high. All 4 of us that went. The co-director was driving, this guy Matt in the passenger seat, and me and Molly in the back seat. The driver wanted to drive home drunk and with all the lights off. There are no street lights out here, just the moon that night. All of us watched the road instructing her which way to turn and such and having 3 drunk people tell another drunk person to go left, they usually go right. She did, into a farmers land in which she tried to get out and got the car stuck and did a ton of damage. We had to get the sons of the guy we were renting from out of bed and they had to bring their back ho out to get is out. Then we had to buy wine and make apologies the next morning to the farmer. Well that was long and pointless.

Well that was long and pointless.
It wasn't pointless...it solidified the fact that you only don't drive drunk because you're afraid of the ramifications for you. It points nicely to the fact that we need things like DUI laws, because people don't care as much about endangering others as they do being put in compromising situations (such as dropping the soap in prison) themselves.I'm sure you also don't drive drunk because of the safety issue for others, just throwing something out there for digestion.
It wasn't pointless...it solidified the fact that you only don't drive drunk because you're afraid of the ramifications for you. It points nicely to the fact that we need things like DUI laws, because people don't care as much about endangering others as they do being put in compromising situations (such as dropping the soap in prison) themselves.I'm sure you also don't drive drunk because of the safety issue for others, just throwing something out there for digestion.
But I stated in the first part that I took the subdivision streets because of slower speed, no traffic, and usually no cops. The traffic part is essentially so I don't crash into anyone. Same with Denmark, the no traffic gives you one less reason to worry or stress out.But I understand what you are saying.

Alcohol impairs reaction time. Even in small amounts. The law recognizes that some impact to reaction time may is okay, as long as it isn't dangerous, so they have a legal amount (either .08 or .1 depending on your state). But the scientific evidence is incontrovertible. The more alcohol you imbue, the more severely your reaction time is impacted. You might believe that you can drive buzzed without any impact (or I have heard people say they drive better when buzzed), but you are fooling yourself. I have no problem with getting intoxicated. Hell, I am for it. But how fucking hard is it to have a designated driver. Or to call a cab. Or take a bus.Tolerance does obviously have an impact as does body weight, but why play games when someones life could be ended. This is no joke and shouldn't be treated as such.