Nlhe, Tight And Aggressive And Using Both.

NLHEHow important is it to be tight...?How important is it to be aggressive?How important is it to mix up your game?Is limping in ever useful?I know this is a general question, but you can add your own situations...Ex. Cash Game 6 or 9 player, any SNGS(near cash or beginning) or HU...

1) Don't think about how tight/loose you need to be preflop. Rather, you should be thinking what range of hands can I play in this position with these stack sizes versus these opponents.2) Being aggressive is very important. If it's close between a call and a raise, it's almost always better to err on the side of aggression and raise. There are times when calling is better though.3) Unimportant at microstakes and overrated at higher stakes.4) I'm sure there are situations where it's +EV, but I think it's more +EV to never open limp. I think limping behind other limpers is fine though sometimes. But usually with any playable hand I will raise, because you win the dead money in the pot so often.This is coming from the pov of a 6 max nl player.

NLHEHow important is it to be tight...?How important is it to be aggressive?How important is it to mix up your game?Is limping in ever useful?I know this is a general question, but you can add your own situations...Ex. Cash Game 6 or 9 player, any SNGS(near cash or beginning) or HU...
1) My buddy and I have a joke. when ever I am explaining a hand to him I always say..."So I was playing pretty tight..." and he says...."oh you mean you were playing GOOD." 2) Completely agree with the first response. aggressive poker is winning poker3) Only useful in certain situations. Where you have specifically picked up on someone changing their plays up specifically because of something you are doing but in the long run it's overkill. 4) Same idea here as #3. Say if you have an opponent who only limps with top hands and then shoves his entire stack in on the flop no matter how scary the board.....and you get dealt say....33.....it's probably +EV to limp behind him and try and spike the 3. But how many times is that EXACT situation gonna come up? In the long run it's better for you to just open raise........If you watch all pros they all have a general style that they start all games off with....then upon learning more about their opponents...mix up their play to tailor to their new info. I would suggest working on developing this "general style." There is a reason why it is their "go-to" strategy.....
I've played cash games and SNG's for a year now, 1/2-2/4$ and the 5/10$ D/N1. If you wanna check on a tight cash players online look up Tom McEvoy, played with him a few times and he never leaves the table with profit. There is a reason why they say he should write a book "How to loose your stack slowly."If you're playing tight you gotta play with that image, cause it really doesn't work to just play rockets and cowboys.2. Normally, playing the higher cash games you will discover how much there is going on pre-flop. Being aggresive and firing both one and 2 bullets with c-bets can do wonders. You also wanna consider comming over the top pre-flop, this can earn you a lot of money without seeing any cards. Aggresive play, wins.3. Mixing up is overrated, but you shouldn't sit for hours at a table playing right after the book.4. Limping is useful if you're shorter than 30BBs cause people may call you with hands they normally wouldn't play this hard. For the SNGs the rules are a bit different as you cannot leave whenever you want, try to cash and not win as said above. You don't really want to lose in 6th place when you know there's people with way shorter stacks than you that got paid.